PHOTO REQUEST: Naturals, Can I See Some Twists Plz?

Whimsy

Hey Girls.
I tried twisting my hair last weekend and was upset about the straightish ends ruining everything. Plus the roots were puffy, and it was just an official hot mess

I want some twist inspiration!

Can I see some photos of your fabulous twists, big and/or small....

How do you do yours?
Dry/Wet?
How long do they last?
What products do you use?

THANKS IN ADVANCE LADIES!

msa

I want to see some too! My twists do not look good at all lol. But I try.

The ones in my avatar were done on wet hair with coconut oil, which is how I always do them. They start unraveling usually the next day, my hair just doesn't stick together well.

Lucky's Mom has some in her siggy right now I think....hopefully some of the ladies in the twisting challenge will come in and post.

nurseN98

Ayiti cherie
Well nowadays since i just cant sit for hours doing my twists, i do fat twists and put them in a bun or french braid type of thing

But back when i had energy (pre-child years) i would do these smaller ones here...yeah those days are done:look:

I find my twists last longer (1-2 weeks) if I braid the base and use a light gel in conjunction with a creamed butter. I have twists in now and I used Aubrey's Mandarin magic with a cream that I made that had aloe vera gel, shea butter, red palm oil, avocado oil...and something else,I think lecithin. But the cream is similar to Jane carter nourish & shine or Curls product. I actually have some in now but i've only had them for about a week and now they are jacked up because when I got in from work this morning, i was so tired i went to sleep without tying them down:wallbash:

nurseN98

Ayiti cherie
Pokahontas, your twist & curl looks real nice....I've been thinking of doing it but haven't yet. I think i'm gonna try tonight.

ETA: MSA, i had the same problem too, that's why I started using gel. But heavy gels make it flaky so I use light, natural gels.

Last edited:

E. Princess

Done on damp hair with coconut oil and castor oil. My twists usually last about a week.

Done on dry hair with castor oil

LynnieB

Earlier this month.

How do you do yours? med. to med. small in size.
Dry/Wet? Damp or wet.
How long do they last? 7-10 days if I'm careful.
What products do you use? Water, conditioner and a teeny bit of oil as a spritz.

One more thing, I sometimes put some kind of cone serum on my ends to help protect them.

Last edited:

Leeda.the.Paladin

Dry twists:

Twists done on wet/damp hair

How do you do yours?
Dry/Wet?

I do 2 strand twists, usually on dry hair after banding it.

How long do they last?

They have lasted 2 weeks before, but I usually do the twist out after a week.

Hmm, everything :) Usually a butter or cream.

Last edited:

mscocoface

So here are mine with extensions

Here is me w/o extension hair

Big ones

Medium ones

I think this is when I first started to try out twists

How do you do yours? Medium size is my fav unless I want to do a twist out then I go to small sizes.
Dry/Wet? Damp or wet.
How long do they last? 7-10 days w/o extension hair, with extension hair weeks, but I always redo my sides and the front every two weeks with extension hair.
What products do you use? Conditioner, oil, ECO styling gel, aloe vera gel, whatever is in my cabinet. Of late I have been using Hairveda Whipped jelly and the Baggy cream on my own hair w/o extension hair and for the first time in my hair journey I had no problem taking down my twists and going into a twist out after multiple washings. There was no tangle or anything. I was truly surprised. I can't believe I am saying this but for the first time in almost 5 years I may not be reordering Afro Detangler and will just buy the Baggy Cream, that is HUGE for me!!!

As for keeping the frzz at bay I will use a sponge or spray bottle to spray on my co wash solution and then use a very large plastic cup with water to place over my head and let it run down my hair in order to rinse my hair. I use those micro fiber towels to blot dry my hair or when it is damp and let the rest air dry.

Last edited:

oooop2

Twister chiming in....I wear my hair in some type of twist style 90% of the time...

How do you do yours?

For my Twist n Curl I do:

On day 1, I cowash my hair w/ HE Hello Hydration Moisturizing Conditioner. I rinse out about 50% of the condish and squeeze out the excess water from my hair. I then add a mix of shea butter, castor oil, glycerine, and aloe vera gel to hair and apply my hair into 30 twist. I then sleep w/my damp hair uncovered on a satin pillow.
The next day, I wear my hair in these twist. Then that night, I apply a small amount of my rosemary-sage spritz to dampen each twist and seal ends w/my shea butter mix. I then place each twist in rollers, cover w/ a satin scarf, and go to bed.
In the morning, I remove the rollers, uncoil the twist (but don't separate), and just shake my hair for fullness.

For my other twist, I co-wash or shampoo/condition hair. Usually w/ herbal essence products. I remove excess water, then I add my shea-aloe mix to damp hair. I then grab and start twisting. I typically start off with LARGE twist. Then after about 2-3 days, I undo 1 twist at a time and redo into medium twist. I RARELY do small twist b/c it takes too long....

My twist typically last 1 wk to 11 days. I can't seem to make it past that point.....

Twist n Curl results

Twist up-do

Large twist

Medium twist

Small twist

Last edited:

Shay72

Natural, 4A
Inspirational as usual. I may try this over the holiday weekend. I'm getting tired of buns and need something to help me make it through this 6 month stretch.

Whimsy

Gosh!!!
SEE?!
This is why I LOVE LHCF
Ask and ye shall receive.

Girls, all of your twists are beautiful!!! I love seeing the difference in sizes, techniques, products etc too.
Thanks for posting....

KEEP EM COMING LADIES!!!

Nonie

OMG, I love how chunky your twists are people! :notworthy Ooop2 I want your medium ones to be mine NOW!!!

I am so jelly of all the pretty twists in this thread. My hair doesn't look good in twists. It's too thin. :sad:

Glam, my twists are skinny too but I find small ones look better than thick ones. Also dunking them in water after doing them helps them puff up and look less spaced out.

How do you do yours?

Twist each strand clockwise before crossing them over anticlockwise. The way Mook's Hair shows on her video. Sorry I never have the link when I need it but hopefully she'll be on to give it.

Dry

How long do they last?

After 4 weeks I start to redo them one by one, so no idea how long they'd last without me bothering them, but I have HIH so I use the excuse to tidy the base to redo them. These are 4 weeks (8 washes) old.

I don't use any products when twisting or after. The only products I ever use are shampoo and conditioner and ACV when washing.

I think what makes my twist not unravel unless I wash them is the fact that after I do them, I dunk them in water so the ends shrink and form coilies that when pressed together, interlock. So I wet them and let them drip dry. At first the ends sort of look like stretched springs due to the weight of water, but as they dry, they sort of shrink like a contracted spring/coil. I think the fact that my twists are small and kinda match the size of the coils makes this "locking" easy to do. I don't think it would work if I made thicker twists.

After a few washes, the twists do get thicker. You can see what they look like when I finish them and how wavy they are, and then you can see a slight thickening from CWing them in this pic.

Then after several more washes, you can see how much fuller they look:

As someone mentioned, braiding the base does keep it neater for longer, but I don't mind the puffing at the base so while I've done the braid to start, I often don't do it.

By not using products and simply CWing whenever my hair feels dry and baggying nightly, I find my hair doesn't lock up after many washes and many days of wearing the twists but rather unravels with easy. In fact when I wash my hair I usually have to redo some coz they unravel like this:

Last edited:

anherica

How do you do yours? Grab and twist. I usually do medium sized twists. I'm too lazy to make them really small and the few times I did, the ones in the back started to dread up. I braid my roots to prevent puffiness and twist each single section as I twist. (Does that make sense? Kind of like Nonie's procedure with twisting each section then twisting, except I twist each section as I twist.) I think this allows for frequent washing while still twisted and ease of takedown.

Dry/Wet? Dry or damp. Twisting on wet hair just isn't the business for me, and the twists don't last as long as when I do them on dry hair.

How long do they last? 2-5 weeks. I wash, DC, and everything else while in twists. I have very thick hair, so this has really helped me with being able to cleanse my scalp thoroughly.

What products do you use? Shea butter whipped with castor or red palm oil to twist. These are applied to the hair only. I don't use anything on my scalp.

Here are a few pics of my twists. I have loads more, since this is the way I mainly wear my hair. The first two are my protective styles, keeps my hair from rubbing against my clothing and off my face. The last is how they look hanging free. I have tons more in my album and in the Twisting for Growth challenge thread.

Attachments

• hpim0226.jpg
    hpim0226.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 43
  • hpim0142.jpg
    hpim0142.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 47
  • hpim0169.jpg
    hpim0169.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

Pooks

How do you do yours? Always on dry stretched hair, moisturised and lightly sealed so its not too slippery to twist

How long do they last? Anything from a week to 4 wks depending on the size

What products do you use? My regular moisturisers, and an oil, I love organic coconut oil to seal before my bantu knot twists, the feel of my twists and the shine is amazing

Freshly done small twists at the beginning of my HHJ - no cowashing yet so thin-looking:

Twists put in individual bantu knots with EVCO overnight,then pulled into a pony:

Same process, pinned up this time:

These are some bigger twists after cowashing (partially dry):

The same twists styled:

Same twists after wet bantu set for updo the following day:

Small twists stay put so long for me because I force myself to cowash less when they're in. If I try to keep medium sized twists in for more than a week they start tryin to lock up on me. I've never tried using any gel-type products to see if it would add extra hold/longevity to the style, but some of the responses here may make me change my ways in future.

Beautiful twists everyone, love them!

Last edited:

sunbubbles

Heres mine w/o extensions!!
How do you do yours: Small/Small-medium
Dry/Wet: wet OR dry, it depends on what Im in the mood to do!
How long do they last: TILL THA COWS COME HOME !! :grin:
What products do you use: Lately Ive been using "Biolage Smoothing shine milk" mixed with Castor Oil. and I LOVE IT! smooth, shiny, soft and supple! THA 4 S'SS:lachen:

Small size

Medium size

tmrskltn

Question, ladies who wear the twist do you not have a problem w them getting frizzy, after the first day? If i wet them or appply any product later , i get frizzy twist that wnat to unravel. Does anyone else have this problem?