Overlapping relaxer

marygrove013

I have a few questions & maybe someone can help....What do you do to not overlap....What are the consequences of overlapping...Can it be helped if you have overlapped....what are the recommendations for help...Thanks for your help in advance, ladies!

I use castor oil on my pre-relaxed hair.

I stretch my relaxers for 12 weeks to avoid overlapping.

I want to experiment with using a squeeze bottle like the one used for hair coloring to ensure that only the roots get the relaxer.

I think overlapping weakens your strands and increases the likelyhood of breakage.

To prevent overlapping, I use conditioner or EVOO. If you overlap your relaxer, over time it can break down the hair and cause breakage. I'm not one of those who can stretch past 6 weeks because my hair is only chin length and there's not too many styles I can wear to hide my newgrowth, so I am careful when I relax

For some reason I think that most ladies end up overlapping a tiny bit while relaxing. It seems that it may be kinda hard to only apply the relaxer to the roots only without even touching previous relaxed hair (below the demarcation line [sp?]....the part of the hair strand where the newgrowth meets the relaxed part.). Me, I coat my previous relaxed hair as much as I can with conditioner and petroleum. i try to get as close to the "line of demarcation" as possible without covering up any of my newgrowth. I don't purposely overlap, I only touch-up my roots, but I'm also realistic when thinking that maybe a centimeter of my relaxed hair from the demarcation line has been overlapped. You have to understand that you have to be quick when applying a relaxer or else you'd be severely overprocessed. To self relaxers, if you take the time to carefully and precisely apply the relaxer to only the roots and not past the demarcation line, then too much time will pass and your hair might become over processed.

These are just my thoughts

TSUprincess04 said:
For some reason I think that most ladies end up overlapping a tiny bit while relaxing. It seems that it may be kinda hard to only apply the relaxer to the roots only without even touching previous relaxed hair (below the demarcation line [sp?]....the part of the hair strand where the newgrowth meets the relaxed part.). Me, I coat my previous relaxed hair as much as I can with conditioner and petroleum. i try to get as close to the "line of demarcation" as possible without covering up any of my newgrowth. I don't purposely overlap, I only touch-up my roots, but I'm also realistic when thinking that maybe a centimeter of my relaxed hair from the demarcation line has been overlapped. You have to understand that you have to be quick when applying a relaxer or else you'd be severely overprocessed. To self relaxers, if you take the time to carefully and precisely apply the relaxer to only the roots and not past the demarcation line, then too much time will pass and your hair might become over processed.

These are just my thoughts

I totally agree with you on that statement. That's the first thing I was taught in beauty school that you have to be quick when applying relaxer to the newgrowth

Back