Breakage because of overlapping

cabosquad

Hi ladies
I was wondering how long it takes your hair to recover from years of overlapping?
I didn't know before I found this board that you shouldn't overlap and because of that my hair stayed years and years at the same lenght.
I just thought it was because my hair didn't grow
wallbash.gif

Now thanks to you ladies I realized that it was because I was overlapping
think.gif

So the last touch up I didn't overlap (because I relax my hair myself) but sometimes I still see some breakage
mad.gif

I use the hair mayo and motions cpr on a weekly basis and it is almost touch up time for me(12 weeks)
Could it be that the breakage I'm experiencing is because of overlapping all that time?
perplexed.gif

Thank you for your replies
kisses.gif

Yes that can be a contributor (I don't know what else you do) because when you keep relaxing the hair that's already relaxed it causes the strands to be weak. I don't know how long it will take your hair to recover because it just depends on how much damage there is. If you trim your ends often you can get rid of the weak ends this way too. Just small trims until you get rid of the damage then after that trim as needed.

And as I always say...moisture! moisture! and more moisture!

Breakage could also be that you've waited to long b4 touch up. Everyone's hair isn't the same; thus, you may need to touch up sooner. But be careful not to overlap again. Coat the strands of your hair beginning right above your new growth with vaseline all the way to the ends. Some use conditioner. I use vaseline because it's thicker.

HTH

TsAngel

TsAngel, hairstylists used to tell me that all of the time, but waiting a long time for a touch up makes my hair stronger. The longer I wait the better. When you wait a long time for a touch up moisture is the key. At least for most type 4s. This prevents breakage. Otherwise yes it will break a lot.

And yes cabosquad she's right, coat your strands. I do this everytime I relax my hair.

[ QUOTE ]
TsAngel, hairstylists used to tell me that all of the time, but waiting a long time for a touch up makes my hair stronger. The longer I wait the better. When you wait a long time for a touch up moisture is the key. At least for most type 4s. This prevents breakage. Otherwise yes it will break a lot.

And yes cabosquad she's right, coat your strands. I do this everytime I relax my hair.

[/ QUOTE ]
ITA!!

I didn't now before that you could touch up earlier
I was always told to wait 3 months
perplexed.gif

As for my hair it is in better condition now that I rinse and do the conditioner washes more often.
clap.gif

I don't have dry ends so I could trim it a little bit
I'll be sure to cover it with vaseline or QH Cholesterol
wink.gif

cabosquad, You need to do what works for you. Waiting longer decreases the chances of overlapping though. If you can wait 3 or 4 months, by all means do so.

I wonder if your problems are due to using a protein heavy conditioner too often. This could make hair brittle and cause breakage too. A moisturizing conditioner should be used instead of all of that protein all of the time. You might want to try hot oil treatments as well.

Also, if you're relaxing your hair bone straight, that doesn't help either.

could you suggest me a moisturizing conditioner?
Is LeKair Cholesterol the peach one good?
I will try the hot oil treatments as well
wink.gif

I usually relax my hair bone straight because I like it that way
ohwell.gif

But thank you for your suggestion I will try it
smile.gif

I use Elucence Moisture Balancing conditioner for my moisturizing conditioner. However, unless you live in Florida, it must be purchased online.. http://www.pleasantimage.com/generic3.html

I don't use LeKlair cholesterol (peach), so I can't answer your question about that. I used to use the aloe vera (green) one though. I stopped using it and my hair became more moisturized, so I doubt if I will use it anymore.

TsAngel's right, depending on hair type and texture you may need a touch-up sooner to prevent breakage. I have to get my hair touch-up every 6 weeks because it will start breaking off at the point of the new growth and relaxed strands.
Don't worry your hair will grow...
newbie.gif

Back