Okay 3c and 4c hair types

Ms_Twana

Okay, break this down for me ladies. What EXACTLY is the difference between 3c and 4a??? Both talk about tight curls. And I've seen ladies talk about 4c a couple of times. What is that???

Lucia

I think that 3c is a blend right in between 3b medium-large curls and 4a super tight springy zig zags. so 3c=small spiral curls with 4a density/thickness. JMO.

glamazon386

There isn't much of a difference. The two are used interchangeably in some cases on the board. IMO, 3c curls are a little bigger. And 3c hair has that shine that type 4 hair doesn't have.

Ms_Twana

Okay, so what about a coil like this:

And that is stretched BTW!!!

Ms_Twana

Huh!!! Okay, I'm learning. I was thinking 4a, then I thought, "well what exactly IS the difference between 3c and 4a." Thanks Lucia.

Anyone else wanna chime in???

OneInAMillion

It looks like 4a to me, which I think of as coffee stirrer sized coils. 3c is a little bigger, probably pen width. I believe my hair type is 4a, as I had coils that looked like this during my 6 month stretch.

glamazon386

I have some 3c patches. One in the very front of my head and the nape. There's a few more 3c spots throughout. There's a noticeable difference though. Let me see if I can find a picture that shows both...

Ms_Twana

See I have spots that I thought may be 3 something because they're very shiny and fine. I'm not sure how they curl. But I have seen a couple of shedded strands with bigger spirals. I think I'm mostly coffee stirrer though.

Cheleigh

Well, both 3c and 4c would be equally made-up, as neither were in Andre's original hair typing system.

The difference between 3c and 4a depends on who you ask, although I think that Lucia's definition is as good as any. For example, naturallycurly.com consider's this woman a 4a. Others might consider her a 3c. The image is owned by naturallycurly.com.

For what it's worth, I consider myself bascially a 4a, although I think someone like Blackcardinal is a better textbook example of a 4a.

Ms_Twana

Cheleigh said:
Well, both 3c and 4c would be equally made-up, as neither were in Andre's original hair typing system.

The difference between 3c and 4a depends on who you ask, although I think that Lucia's definition is as good as any. For example, naturallycurly.com consider's this woman a 4a. Others might consider her a 3c. The image is owned by naturallycurly.com.

For what it's worth, I consider myself bascially a 4a, although I think someone like Blackcardinal is a better textbook example of a 4a.

Oh, I LOVE her hair. See, why didn't they have her picture up under the hair typing section?? That's why I don't look at their's. They didn't have any examples that I could relate to. Thanks for the example though.

And what makes her hair so GORGEOUS?? I don't think mines will look like that. :lol:

Proudpiscean

Cheleigh said:

:eek: Her hair is beautiful! I love the size of the curls and the thickness of her hair. I'd consider her 3c because of the size of the curls. Like you said, Cheleigh, it's all who you ask.

LynnieB

Cheleigh said:

i think i've just found my hair twin!!

who is this woman cheleigh?

Cheleigh

LynnieB said:
i think i've just found my hair twin!!

who is this woman cheleigh?

She's featured in an article about holiday hair. Her name is Fadya. I also love her hair. The article also has what they consider a 3c, a 2b, 3a,
You can read the article here:
Holiday Hair

LynnieB

Cheleigh said:
She's featured in an article about holiday hair. Her name is Fadya. I also love her hair. The article also has what they consider a 3c, a 2b, 3a,
You can read the article here:
Holiday Hair

just came from NC and looked under hair types and didn't see her........THANK-YOU!

Lucia

Cheleigh said:

Ok I would have siad she's a 3b/c because the size diameter of her curls are medium, but she has the type 4 thickness and density. So see even they're not sticking to the definitions. Also isn't the diff between 3 and 4 the actual sprial curl, like 4 is more zig zag-Z-pattern and not a definate spiral curl pattern according to the Andre typing.

they listed her as a 3c. I say 3ab it's wavy at top and it's halfway laying part spiral at the ends but not curly all the way down.

See what I mean, it's still confusing, if your curl diameter is med-large but it's very thick and dense then according to hairtyping system you're a 4a.
So what if you have coffee stirrer diameter curls 4c or 4z, then kinks should be type 5, oh yeah they didn't address that.
I like that OS or Fia typing better gives more options so you can id your curls better.

Last edited:
i think that's about right...but i think 4a is considered coils instead of spirals because of the kink and the fact that it is not as defined as the others and they are so much smaller...

caligirl

Type 4 hair is coarse whereas type 3 hair has a more silky feel. For example, 3c hair might have really tiny coils, but still be very silky and easy to slick down into a puff. But 4a hair might require the scarf trick to get it to lay down because its more coarse.

I agree with this...this is what i was trying to articulate when i said "kinky"

caligirl said:
Type 4 hair is coarse whereas type 3 hair has a more silky feel. For example, 3c hair might have really tiny coils, but still be very silky and easy to slick down into a puff. But 4a hair might require the scarf trick to get it to lay down because its more coarse.

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
OK, now I'm confused. I would say the woman in the red top has 4a hair because it's big on top and grows out, not down.
I thought 3b and c hair grows downwards.
I would type the other woman as a 3b.
Confusion :perplexed

glamazon386

caligirl said:

Hair of all types can be coarse. Type 1's 2's and 3's also can describe their hair as coarse. I'm a 4a and my hair is fine and not coarse to the touch. It's never been coarse in my life. And I can pretty much brush my hair back and it'll stay except for that part in the front that's still short. It'll pop back up after while.