oiling scalp.good or bad?

coolsista-paris

Hi ladies!

Something os on my mind and i dont know hat to think anymore.

I've read somewhere that theres non need in oiling our scalp as our scalp provides his own oil. And that oiling it will just be too much and we end up blocking pores.

Then i've read also that its very good to oil scalp and a lot do it.

what is wrong/right? And explain if you can plus give me proof or examples that one or the other works.

i was planning on trying to oil my scalp then stop because im afraid to.

libertysince05

i dont oil my scalp, but i probably should since i have dry skin.
my mum used to oil my scalp with olive oil when i was younger, it worked well...but i prefer not to add anything to it.

Nonie

I think it varies from person to person, but I can tell you that I stopped "greasing" my scalp with any product when I was about 10 or 11, on a dare by my teacher, and haven't looked back. I was sure I'd have dandruff because that had been my previous experience and the reason I always applied something. And indeed my head did itch for the first day or so, and then never again. I have since gotten so used to having a clean scalp, and my acne also seemed to clear up. Having nothing is so normal to me now that if I do put something on, I end up having the itches.

With that said, when I did have a bald spot, I did apply natural oils and massage them in. They didn't seem to bother my scalp much and they did help my hair to grow back. There are essential oils with positive benefits so I do think they are good to use on your scalp. I just prefer to use nothing now that I no longer have scalp issues.

The other thing I do believe is if you are always applying stuff to your scalp, your natural moisturizing mechanism takes a back seat since you seem to have a handle on that. :giggle: But if you do stop meddling, I think your pores will do their job better and in time start to producing enough sebum to keep your scalp happy.

I think oiling the scalp is also beneficial for those who would not otherwise remember to massage their scalp, but I don't think it's necessary for massaging. As long as you're massaging your scalp w/ or w/o oil, you do increase circulation so your hair follicles are in a healthier state from better nourishment.

Last edited:

SLOGRO

I have to agree with the previous person, it's not for everyone I have dry scalp and it works wonders for me. It also helps to keep my new gros moisturized and my scalp from itching like crazy. I use JBCO once a week and during the week after co washes i've used a mixture of jbco, sweet almond, olive oil. this also helps me grow my hair i have 4 new inches in 6months from oiling scalp, but again it doesn't work for everyone.

MissMusic

Oiling the scalp is not a bad thing, but it is not necessary for hair growth.

If you use oils that are too heavy and clog the scalp, like mineral oil or petroleum they can have an adverse effect and cause the scalp to stop preventing its natural oils, thus causing the hair to not get its first bit of nutrition from the body.

Other oils, like castor oil are actually antibacterial like oils that help to keep the scalp clean and create a good environment for natural sebum production and serious growth. However, a healthy scalp produces its own natural oil and the hair will grow as a result.

So, it is not necessary to put oil on the scalp, but it does not hurt as long as the oils put on the scalp are nutritious and do not hinder sebum production.

coolsista-paris

thank you for your answers/ i thinl im gonna continue doing my stuff.No scalp oiling (if i do its really like 2 a month) and again i have done it only twice since im natural....i might try co washing more (2 times a week) thats if i GET BACK TO DOING SPORTS!lol (whenever that happens.....) maybe i can clean my scalp with a toothbrush too instead of weting my whole head?

belldandy

when I was using extra virgin coconut oil it was doing wonders for my growth and keeping my hair nice and soft

bimtheduck

Just like my face there are certain areas of my scalp thyat produce enough oil and some areas that produce too much or too little. I have to apply some sort of soothing agent to my crown, I typically use coconut oil. This area get dry and itching just a day or two after I DC.

ScorpioBeauty09

I've oiled my scalp since I was a kid but it really clogged up my hair follicles which gave me the 'wet hair' look which left it impossible for me to do anything with and stunted my growth. I'm now simply moisturizing my scalp and seeing what that does. I don't think oiling the scalp good or bad, it works differently for different people. I don't think it worked for me but that doesn't mean it won't for you.

Neith

There's nothing wrong with oiling the scalp.

Just the same as if someone said that they oiled their skin. You wouldn't bat an eyelash at that one...

I think the problem comes when people use heavy greases. That isn't for everyone and could cause build up.

but natural oils nourish the scalp just as they would nourish the skin. Plus, many of them are naturally anti bacterial/antifungal.

I started oiling my scalp when I read something similar on an indian hair site.

I thought of it as "old school" before so I didn't put anything on my scalp for years.

candita

when I was younger I had a really bad problem with Dandruff. My mom would oil my scalp with warm olive oil and it worked wonders in getting all the dandruff off my scalp and soothing it. I don't do it much anymore (due to laziness) unless my scalp with really itchy and bothersome. I'll either use olive oil or coconut oil and it solves everything. I especially liked the results with the coconut oil.

OsnapCnapp!

I agree with Nonie that is does vary from person to person. If I leave my scalp bare, it gets scaly and dry. But I never grease it only oil. Light oils are great as its been mentioned, essential oils. The one I use mostly is jojoba oil since it is so close in nature to the sebum that the skin already naturally produces. I also the Wild Growth Hair Oil Light Oil Formula, the one in the yellow and black bottle. It contains some great essential oils and is never heavy.

Tiye

I think it varies from person to person, but I can tell you that I stopped "greasing" my scalp with any product when I was about 10 or 11, on a dare by my teacher, and haven't looked back. I was sure I'd have dandruff because that had been my previous experience and the reason I always applied something. And indeed my head did itch for the first day or so, and then never again. I have since gotten so used to having a clean scalp, and my acne also seemed to clear up. Having nothing is so normal to me now that if I do put something on, I end up having the itches.

With that said, when I did have a bald spot, I did apply natural oils and massage them in. They didn't seem to bother my scalp much and they did help my hair to grow back. There are essential oils with positive benefits so I do think they are good to use on your scalp. I just prefer to use nothing now that I no longer have scalp issues.

The other thing I do believe is if you are always applying stuff to your scalp, you natural moisturizing mechanism takes a back seat since you seem to have a handle on that. :giggle: But if you do stop meddling, I think your pores will do their job better and in time start to producing enough sebum to keep your scalp happy.

I think oiling the scalp is also beneficial for those who would not otherwise remember to massage their scalp, but I don't think it's necessary for massaging. As long as you're massaging your scalp w/ or w/o oil, you do increase circulation so your hair follicles are in a healthier state from better nourishment.

I didn't do it on a dare but I was about the same age when I stopped. My mom was never that heavy handed with grease but she did use it on us. But when I took over the care of my own hair I decided to skip the grease all together and never looked back. Some people like the soothing effect of massage with aromatic oils but I prefer to have the essential oils in my shampoos so I get the cleansing and the aromatherapy at the same time rather than by oiling my scalp. I think it depends on the individual scalp needs and also personal preference.

Misseyl

Long before this forum, I've never oiled my scalp. I always liked bouncy hair so I skipped grease but didn't know what to moisturize my hair with. I remember reading what Wanakee did to grow long hair, purchased most of her products but didn't achieve the lenght because I just didin't know what I was doing. Thank heavens for LHCF...