*~Oiling the scalp...is this good or bad?*~

Erica78

Coils coils & more coils!
I have always been told that oiling the scalp is what helps to make it healthy. I have always done this, and never I had a problem. Recently, I have seen a couple of people posting here that say they don't believe in using oils on the scalp. I was wondering what the cons are of oiling the scalp?

I always thought that as long as you don't oil it excessively...it was ok. I can't imagine not oiling it...because then you would have a dry scalp...and flaking.

Would love to hear your opinions on this subject!

ANaturalBrotha

depends on the oil. Stay away from things that contain petroleum and mineral oil. Use Natural oils or Essential oils whatever they called lol. Such as Castor, Jojoba, Rosemary. Stuff like that. Some people get a empty spray bottle and mix those oils with glycerine and distilled water.

Honey6928215

Well for me I have to oil my scalp with hair grease or oils. I have dry hair and if I go without oiling them every couple of days my hair will start shedding like a dog.

I never have any problems with them. Like the last poster said as long as you don't do it excessively.

Erica78

Honey, my hair is the same way. I use Black Seed on my scalp, and everything in it is natural. Been trying to get my mom off of the Mineral Oil in her motions...but shes stubborn. Her hair was very long and beautiful...but recently she started having a lot much breakage. I'm trying to convince her to use Surge with me when I order it

Ayeshia

i seem to get flakes when i oil my scalp, i didnt realize then until one day i ran out of oil and didnt buy anymore for a couple of months and i didnt notice any more flakiness or scalp buildup. I wasnt using a lot either so its just the way my scalp reacted.I use it indirectly now. i put it on my hair and when i do a massage some of it gets on my scalp but not enough to make it get flakes.

Victorian

old head
I think people's scalps can deal with different things, just like our hair responds differently to different products. I remember my mom oiling my scalp when I was little and I guess it never caused any problem. But nowadays, I can't put any oil on my scalp or it will cause itchies and flaking. My scalp hasn't been feeling dry so I just leave it alone and don't bother putting anything on it. If I ever do feel dry I use a lotion/creme for my scalp, and just use it sparingly.

Just do whatever your hair/scalp responds to best, there's no universal "good" or "bad"

Erica78

Thanks for all of the replies.
I was just curious as to why some of you don't oil the scalp. I had a problem with flaking a couple of months ago. Hair oil never even crossed my mind.

Neen

I hear Aloe Vera gel is good for the scalp. It is supposed to 'moisturize, sooth and protect'. It also protects against itching and flaking (supposedly). I used some tonight and feels pretty good on the scalp.

L.Mo.

So true, my mom religiously oiled my scalp when I was younger.

Now, when I do my pre-wash treatment with olive oil, I make a point of massagining it really well into my scalp. Then I sit under my heat cap for about 20 minutes. That seems to do the trick without any other oiling in between washes!

Isis

Sterry has a thread on oiling the scalp by massaging it with essential oils including Emu oil. She said she was getting increased hair growth each month by doing this.

Karonica

I was always a "greaser." Then, I came here and heard many say that it wasn't good for the scalp. So I stopped. And let's just say, it did not last. My scalp needs something on it. The lightest grease and most effective one I've ever used is TCB Naturals Hair and Scalp Conditioner (the grease, not the gel-like one).

I grew up as a greaser. Had long very thick hair. Stopped greasing for some years and lost a lot of hair. My hairdresser tells all her patrons to lightly grease their scalps. Emphasis on lightly.

Dutchess

I only put Castor Oil on my scalp as a base when I'm about to do a re-touch and that is maybe three times a year.

Erica78

[ QUOTE ]
L.Mo. said:
So true, my mom religiously oiled my scalp when I was younger.

Now, when I do my pre-wash treatment with olive oil, I make a point of massagining it really well into my scalp. Then I sit under my heat cap for about 20 minutes. That seems to do the trick without any other oiling in between washes!

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been using Olive oil in my hair for about 4 months now. It has done wonders for my scalp, and my growth. I started doing hot olive oil treatments and massages weekly now. I leave it on my hair for about a half hour before I shampoo. I really believe that it has helped to increase my growth.

missykeyana

I don't grease my scalp. I tried going without it several years ago and it made no difference, so I figured, why waste product?

Purtygurly

I have to oil my scalp. I tried to do without it before and I found that my new growth was nappy and my scalp wasn't happy either... I don't use gease or anything too heavy, just a little wgo, and I use it sparingly on my scalp only twice a week.

I think that it's only a problem when people do it with pertoleum and mineral oil.

newgrowth

When I 1st got a relaxer I never oiled my scalp. I grew up with my scalp being oiled by my mom. She used ultra sheen switched over faithfully to tcb. my hair gre very long and very fast. grease must not have did that much damage as some say it clogs the pores.
i was asking my hairdressor what to oil my scalp with. she's kinda old school and said get some tcb hair food.
i still opted to use olive oil. it seems to have worked for a while. i began to need somethen a little heavier, although still light. im currently using ultra sheens grow natural. it has herbs in it, its light, my newgrowth is soft and the smell it pretty good as well. i use it on scalp and ends.
i see a lot of people do use jojoba oil. i have some, but havent gotten around to using it.

Allandra

I use to get my scalp oiled years ago. After I joined some of the hair care boards a few years ago, I stopped oiling my scalp. All it did was build up and make my scalp icky. I'm so glad I stopped oiling my scalp. My hair and scalp have thrived since.