Oiling Scalp--How to prevent running?

I oil my scalp (whether the mix is homemade or purchased)

• Yes. I currently do.

Votes: 27 90.0%
  • Never.

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • I used to but stopped due to ill effects.

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • I used to but stopped for another reason (ex: ran out, effort required was too much etc).

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

sonce

I'm trying to get into oiling my scalp consistently with a sulfur mix I make by myself. I figure it can't hurt and can only help. However, whenever I am done oiling my scalp, after a few minutes, the oil starts running down my neck. It doesn't run a lot but it slowly creeps down so that every couple of hours, I touch my neck just below where my hairline ends, and it is oily. Is this just a hazard that comes with oiling one's scalp or is there a way to combat this? I do not use a lot--just dip my finger in the oil mix and apply it to my scalp until it evenly covered.

I apply my oils out of an applicator bottle, but then I rub it in with my finger into each individual part. This has helped me with running oil. Sometimes I also wear Sanek neck strips or an adjustable headband around my neck to capture any wandering oil.

You can pick them up cheap at BSS. They're a stretchy paper strip that you wrap around your neck and secure either with a clip or sometimes water can secure it.

I think you're using to much oil Sounce.

That's what I was thinking. I'm the (currently) lone vote for "used to oil but stopped due to ill effects." My ill effects were that it was making my scalp too itchy and flaky.

Maybe you should try applying differently? I used to apply by parting from front to back and oiling the whole part. Repeat all over the head--sort of like doing cornrows. Then part from side to side and oil the whole part. Imagine grid paper--that's how the finished parts would look. Not that you actually could see the parts, but the whole scalp was oiled without any drips. I hope I'm being clear.

This used to happen to me when I used BT, I too used to dip my finger in the oil and apply the oil to parts in my hair. What I found helped was larger parts (helped me to use less oil). Also when I made parts I started applying the oil a couple of inches into the part, the oil would naturally run to the end of the part and not onto my face/neck, hope this helps.

I oil my scalp. I think you may be using too much. I use to have the same problem and would get embarrassed when the oil would start running while I was at work:look:. What I do now is use jojoba oil which absorbs quickly into my scalp or Castor oil (much thicker oil less runny) when Im stretching (jojoba is a bit to lite for my NG when Im pass 6 weeks post). I always massage the oil and I only use a small amount, enough to leave a lite gloss on the scalp.

I agree with the previous posts. It's probably b/c you're using too much oil. You only need a teeny tiny amount, to just coat your scalp. A little can go a long way.

I place a few drops of oil onto my finger tips and then rub (my finger tips containing oil) onto my scalp. There is never any dripping.

Last edited:
*nod* I oil my scalp, and I think you are using too much - I find that I just dab the TIP of my finger into the oil, and rub it on a small section of my scalp - 2-4 inches? - until the oil is gone, repeat over and over and over again. If it's dripping you're using too much/not getting it INTO the scalp.

This used to happen to me when I used BT, I too used to dip my finger in the oil and apply the oil to parts in my hair. What I found helped was larger parts (helped me to use less oil). Also when I made parts I started applying the oil a couple of inches into the part, the oil would naturally run to the end of the part and not onto my face/neck, hope this helps.

I agree with this....this is what I do.

Last edited:
Sometimes I don't want to oily my hair too because of the runny in my face :wallbash:. If I am oiling the scalp, it's ok, I can manage but with hot oil treatment it's another story:ohwell:

I only use a small amount of oil from an applicator bottle and rub it in with my fingers like a scalp massage. I don't get the runnies. :)

A little goes a long way. Make sure you are not using a product with mineral oil...it won't absorb very well.

Back