No More Stretching

addaboutmyhair

So for 2010 I started stretching 6 months at a time (I'm texlaxed) and I continud this into 2011. I touched up in May this year.

So last week I take down my hair and I have crazy new gorwth :grin:

But, even with my careful detangling and my Ouidad comb, way too much hair came out. The breakage didn't stop until I touched up this past weekend. I decided touching up eary instead of stretching another 2 months was the way to go.

Now my hair is fine and happy. So I'm thinking the stretch was too long? Here is my take down method:

1. Hot oil treatment with olive oil
2, detange with fingers (saturated with the warm oil)
3. Comb with Ouidad(saturated with the warm oil) *Hair breaks
4. Shampoo with cleansing shampoo in sections
5. Shampoo with sulfate free shampoo in the shower in sections.
6. Deep condition 1 hour in shower cap
7. Rinse with cold water in sections
8. Leave in spray - aloe vera juice, vegetable glycerin, castor oil
9. Seal with shea butter

I combed it again on Saturday after spraying in my leave in so I could do my touch up. I use Affirm to texlax. Then deep condition and Megatek for protein.

Should I quit stretching an touch up every 10 weeks?

lana

I know the other ladies will chime in here.

Instead of 6 months - try 3 months. Which should be about 12 weeks.

I only stretch for a long time over the winter. But usually 3-4 months of stretching gives me 3-4 touch ups a year. Works for me.

Your Cheeziness

I'm assuming you're coming out of a protective style, is that right?

If your hair breaking at the demarcation line?

Are you finger detangling in small sections very thoroughly? When I come out of braids, kinky twists, etc. I spend more time finger detangling very gently because shed hair can hide very well causing tangle are breakage.

Can you try a different tool to detangle with? I use my fingers, wide tooth comb, then paddle brush to detangle.

Misseyl

I usually go 16 weeks between relaxers and 6 months would be too much for me.

I hope you don't mind but judging from the pictures in 2010 and I can't see 2011, I am guessing that you don't switch up when you relax. Switch-up meaning you relax the same way everytime and don't start at a new point at every touchup. I know because that happened to me. I've been on an almost a 2 year stretch and I know that part in the back of your hair is because that's where you put the relaxer first, it thins out that section because that's where you start first at every relaxer. You need to start on the front first and next time the left side and so on.

renren

Im texturized and I stretch for 6 months as well... hoping to go to once a year from now on.... When I detangle I use a TON of suave conditioner..... finger detangle then use a wide tooth comb... im not sure if the oil treatment is giving you enough slip to detangle...

ebonyseas

I agree with renren. Although its counterintuitive, oil doesn't give me enough slip when I detangle. I always mix it with conditioner. Also, I don't know about everyone else, but I hate the ouidad comb. Try using a comb with medium spaced teeth instead. Preferably something without seams... And detangle in small sections after applying your oil/conditioner mix.

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
I don't have advice about stretching, but why are you shampooing twice? How often do you wash and deep condition? It sounds like your hair is dry, which is probably causing the breakage.