Need help stretching relaxer....

illustrioussplendor

I have been stretching my relaxers, I normally relax every four to six weeks, However my last relaxer on 10/25 I stretched to nine weeks from August. This time I am trying to stretch twelve or beyond. My hair has become so unmanageable! I have been washing once per week with Kera care hydrating shampoo, or aphogee shampoo for damaged hair followed by aphogee two minute reconstructor. I deep condition two to three times per week with ORS replenishing pak or keracare humectofor forty five mins with heat and overnite no heat or just overnite. I am experiencing alot of breakage and shedding, esp when my hair is wet. My ends are so thin! Right now I just wear my satin bonnet or satin scarf all day. I do not wrap my hair because I am too far in my relaxer. I moisturize maybe once or twice per week with BB oil moisturizer,hawaiian silky 14 in one, or coconot oil. I don't always seal, but when I do I use castor oil or coconut oil. What am I doing wrong?

TexturedTresses

try applying moisturizer directly to the new growth. also, cowashing helps. if your getting breakage at the demarcation line, you may have to do a light protein treatment. frequent dc's help.

Marley4920

Have you tried a reconstructor? I'm having the same problem. I'm stretching to 12 weeks and I am on week 7. I have incorporated steam treatments and use Joico's Daily Reconstructor (lite protein) everytime I wash my hair. It has helped alot with the breakage. I also plan to use Nexxus Emergencee (a mild protein) this weekend. Oh, also, I try not to comb or manipulate my hair until the next wash day.

Divine Inspiration

I would lay off of the ORS...those things contain protein so you your hair may not be able to handle it more than once a month or so. Also, why are you washing so often? If you're stretching, you'll want to do as little manipulating as possible. I would wash and DC 1x/week and maybe CO wash if necessary.

Also, it sounds like you may need a product that is more moisturizing/detangling to help you through. When I was relaxed, I had to use a different DC after week 8 in order for my hair to not mat up. Consider experimenting with a different DC...maybe one that has cones and will give you some slip.

What kind of comb/brush are you using to detangle?

Are you using a leave-in condish?

longhairlover

I still wrap my hair, comb and brush it. I'm 18 wks going on 19 this sunday. I use very moisturizing shampoos and conditioners, my faves right now is Pantene relaxed and natural, Mizani moisturefuse condish with Mizani reconstructing poo. these two care lines have kept my hair very soft and manageable. I blow dry with a paddle brush or I do rollersets.

you have to take time with detangling your hair. i put mizani h20 nighttime on my ends and wrap my hair up, i use salerm biokera for ends on my ends,

for me i think keeping my stretches healthy and with less go well when i do the same things to my hair as if they are freshly relaxed.

I flat iron my roots and that keeps my hair tangle free and the roots straight and therefore my hair more manageable. try to stick to the same products during your stretch. I notice that when i'm constantly switching my products during stretches i get more breaks. so try to find what softens your roots the best and stick to it.

the way i stretch no one would know that i have 4 inches of new growth so far. for me wash and go's are not good or braidouts, my hair becomes too tangled during my stretches.

you don't have to wrap but if i don't wrap i leave my hair out and wrap it with the satin scarf and that maintains it as well.

I think your putting too much stuff in your hair too. Pick a few and stick to those, your hair has to adjust to the products your using too. to me the moisturizing conditioners are going to be the best for your stretch. pantene is really good.

illustrioussplendor

Have you tried a reconstructor? I'm having the same problem. I'm stretching to 12 weeks and I am on week 7. I have incorporated steam treatments and use Joico's Daily Reconstructor (lite protein) everytime I wash my hair. It has helped alot with the breakage. I also plan to use Nexxus Emergencee (a mild protein) this weekend. Oh, also, I try not to comb or manipulate my hair until the next wash day.
I tried aphogee, the reconstructor and even after the hard protein treatment I still experienced alot of breakage. I don't really com through my hair to often, especially because of the breakage.

illustrioussplendor

I would lay off of the ORS...those things contain protein so you your hair may not be able to handle it more than once a month or so. Also, why are you washing so often? If you're stretching, you'll want to do as little manipulating as possible. I would wash and DC 1x/week and maybe CO wash if necessary.

Also, it sounds like you may need a product that is more moisturizing/detangling to help you through. When I was relaxed, I had to use a different DC after week 8 in order for my hair to not mat up. Consider experimenting with a different DC...maybe one that has cones and will give you some slip.

What kind of comb/brush are you using to detangle?

Are you using a leave-in condish?
I 'm afraid I might experience more breakage if I detangle with a comb or brush so I usually detangle with my fingers on dry hair. I use NTM silk touch leave in or cantu shea butter. Would lekair cholesterol serve as a better DC? It's alot thicker than most DC's.

hairdrama:{

Yes, everything she said :yep:. I think you have too much manipulation going on. I always stretch for 12 wks and the key for me is to use a product that will give a great slip, so I detangle really well on wash day, one time and that is it for me until next wash (usually every 3-4 days) so pretty much I just touch my length to moisturize but leave the roots alone. If I feel I need to moisturize the roots I just spray some leave-in + oil but don’t comb. If for any reason I’m wearing my hair straight, I keep the style for 5 or 6 days moisturizing my ends only & wrapping ‘till the next wash. I get minimum breakage with this method. ;)

illustrioussplendor

I still wrap my hair, comb and brush it. I'm 18 wks going on 19 this sunday. I use very moisturizing shampoos and conditioners, my faves right now is Pantene relaxed and natural, Mizani moisturefuse condish with Mizani reconstructing poo. these two care lines have kept my hair very soft and manageable. I blow dry with a paddle brush or I do rollersets.

you have to take time with detangling your hair. i put mizani h20 nighttime on my ends and wrap my hair up, i use salerm biokera for ends on my ends,

for me i think keeping my stretches healthy and with less go well when i do the same things to my hair as if they are freshly relaxed.

I flat iron my roots and that keeps my hair tangle free and the roots straight and therefore my hair more manageable. try to stick to the same products during your stretch. I notice that when i'm constantly switching my products during stretches i get more breaks. so try to find what softens your roots the best and stick to it.

the way i stretch no one would know that i have 4 inches of new growth so far. for me wash and go's are not good or braidouts, my hair becomes too tangled during my stretches.

you don't have to wrap but if i don't wrap i leave my hair out and wrap it with the satin scarf and that maintains it as well.

I think your putting too much stuff in your hair too. Pick a few and stick to those, your hair has to adjust to the products your using too. to me the moisturizing conditioners are going to be the best for your stretch. pantene is really good.
I do have some pantene in my closet and I didn't really care for it, but since I'm stretching maybe I should revisit it. I have mizani moisurefuse as well.

The Princess

I 'm afraid I might experience more breakage if I detangle with a comb or brush so I usually detangle with my fingers on dry hair. I use NTM silk touch leave in or cantu shea butter. Would lekair cholesterol serve as a better DC? It's alot thicker than most DC's.

From my pass expericnce, I did it twice. I was scared to comb my NG cause it was difficult, so I was just finger comb the NG and use aot of conditioner and hopefully it would help it out. Well with my not combing the NG my hair dreadlock, thats right. I did more damage than good, and when I did go to the Hairdresser, when she comb it, alot came out. However my hair did grow alot, but I wonder how much more hair I could have have. I did this twice mind you.

You just have to use a good detangler and use a wide tooth comb or a jilbre comb. The Jilibre comb works excellent and comb the NG slowly. It will pay off in the end. If you comb slowly you won't have any breakage. HTH

LeKair is pretty good, I notice more strenght than slip from this... But I get better slip with ORS Replenish Pak and shescentit Orange and Olive Oil conditioner this works well for me. Also Hairveda Moist Condition Pro, gives me even more slip..........However you have to find what works for you.

Last edited:

Shay72

Natural, 4A
I just finished a 17.5 week stretch. I wash 1x wk and co wash 1x wk. I alternate bw CON (green) and Hairveda's Amala & Shikaki poos. I co wash with Hairveda's Moist Condition 24/7. Little to no manipulation was key. I'm a daily bunner. So I would moisturize & seal each morning and put into a bun. Before bed or sometimes even as soon as I got home I would take the bun down, moisturize, seal, put right back into the bun, and put on my satin bonnet or scarf. I only comb on wash day with conditioner in my hair. I dc 3x/wk also. Two times on wet hair and one time on dry hair. All 3 times with heat. Hooded dryer or conditioning cap. Depending on my mood. Moisture is definitely key for me. My hair needs a decent amount to stay moisturized throughout the day. I use Hairveda's whipped baggy cream, then saturate my ends with Hairveda's hydrasoft spritz then seal with Hairveda's cocasta & shikaki oil. About a month ago I started taking garlic pills also. All of this made a difference because my floor used to be covered with hair. I get about 10 hairs if that many in my comb now. HTH.