Newbie Natural - Question about my twists

d33va

Hello ladies. I've done a few BC's, my most recent one about 9 months ago.
Today I got my hair twisted in a salon that normally does weave. Needless to say, my natural hair was not gently cared for :)

Nevertheless, the stylist used black gel to twist my hair and i sat under the dryer afterwards. When I left, I was concerned about the gel and initially I only wanted naturally twisted hair. Therefore, I rinsed my twisties to give my hair a more natural feeling rather than the stiffness I left with.

Question is: Do you think that was a good idea? Why or why not?

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
I don't think that black gel is ever a good idea.. but thats just my opinion.

Did they use any type of moisturizer or leave in conditioner before the gel?

How does your hair feel post rinsing?

Lylddlebit

I have washed and redid my hair immediately after a salon visit when I didn't get what I really wanted/my hair was dry and stiff when they did it. I think what you did was fine but that probably was a waste of time and money especially if you paid for the twists. Maybe next time you can use a good moisturizer and practice twisting on your own. The more your practice the better you will get at it.

d33va

Yes she also used 'grease' - mixed with the gel. I rinsed because I didnt want to end up with dry hair..was afraid it wouldn't grow. And thats the reason I got it twisted, so it could grow & be protected.

d33va

I have washed and redid my hair immediately after a salon visit when I didn't get what I really wanted/my hair was dry and stiff when they did it. I think what you did was fine but that probably was a waste of time and money especially if you paid for the twists. Maybe next time you can use a good moisturizer and practice twisting on your own. The more your practice the better you will get at it.

True. Im terrible with twisting on my own but will certainly practice. Cost me too much money to rinse out what she did. I also thought "meh, maybe it wont do any harm." - but she didnt style it naturally. I should have told her Im growing my hair naturally and am not actually going for 'dreads'.

I feel much better about rinsing it though, even though the parts are not perfect like before.

Thanx ladies!

faithVA

Hello ladies. I've done a few BC's, my most recent one about 9 months ago.
Today I got my hair twisted in a salon that normally does weave. Needless to say, my natural hair was not gently cared for :)

Nevertheless, the stylist used black gel to twist my hair and i sat under the dryer afterwards. When I left, I was concerned about the gel and initially I only wanted naturally twisted hair. Therefore, I rinsed my twisties to give my hair a more natural feeling rather than the stiffness I left with.

Question is: Do you think that was a good idea? Why or why not?

I think it is fine either way. It depends on how long you plan on wearing your twists. When I had comb coils they used the black gel and I was able to wear my coils for several weeks. Without the gel I would only have lasted 1 week or a max of two. My hair was fine with the gel and my hair tends to be very dry. I had comb coils twice and my hair grew and retained quite well.

As long as you are happy with your hair now it is fine.

d33va

I think it is fine either way. It depends on how long you plan on wearing your twists. When I had comb coils they used the black gel and I was able to wear my coils for several weeks. Without the gel I would only have lasted 1 week or a max of two. My hair was fine with the gel and my hair tends to be very dry. I had comb coils twice and my hair grew and retained quite well.

As long as you are happy with your hair now it is fine.

Thanx. Yea its not the end of the world lol PLUS its the first time Ive been to the salon in over a year and the second time I've been in over 5 years soo.... :) I was a lil skurrd

virtuenow

I wash, rinse, deep condition my twists often. What is your hair type? If you want to keep your hair moist, deep conditioning (DC) weekly whether you're in twists or not is a great way to do so. I would wash that gel out; I don't like the idea of globbing gel in my hair and letting it dry up :nono:

Last edited:

My Friend

You have been given some great advice and tried and true opinions.

YouTube is your friend. Search for two strand twist on natural hair.....