Naturals- Please help, what moisturizer are you using?

Ms Lala

Hey to all my naturals out there!

I think most naturals struggle with dryness at one time or another. I keep trying different moisturizers and many of them have just been OK. They seem to moisturize for a little while but leave my hair dry even though I seal. Please share-WHat moisturizers or moisturizing leave in have you used and loved? If you make your own please share your recipe.

I have been using Giovanni direct on my wet hair while air drying and I love it!!!!!!! (don't like it on dry hair though)

Last edited:
Ms Lala said:
Hey to all my naturals out there!

I think most naturals struggle with dryness at one time or another. I keep trying different moisturizers and many of them have just been OK. They seem to moisturize for a little while but leave my hair dry even though I seal. Please share-WHat moisturizers or moisturizing leave in have you used and loved? If you make your own please share your recipe.

I have been using Giovanni direct on my wet hair while air drying and I love it!!!!!!! (don't like it on dry hair though)

That has been my experience with every moisturizer I have tried since I decided to start using leave-ins. All except S-Curl No Drip Activator. :love: I apply generously to damp hair after a wash, and allow it to dry. When my hair's dry, I apply it again and soft hair is mine till the next wash when I start the process all over again. I cannot rave enough about what a wonderful moisturizer it is. Hawaiian Silky is my substitute when I am out of S Curl. But I'd imagine any curl activator would have the same results. I just stick to the "devil" I know.

I use a few moisturizers.

For baggying @ night a few times a week, I am currently using Qhemet's heavy cream for moisture and Wild Growth Hair Oil to seal. (BTW- I LOVE WGO!)

Daily I use a homeade spritz. I don't have precise measurements but here is the run down: I fill up an 8 oz spritz bottle about halfway w/purified water. I add some cheapy conditioner like VO5-whatever smells good. Then I add a little glycerin, jojoba, and castor oil. SOmetimes I even add almond oil (whatever on hand). I shake and spritz my hair each morning. U can play w/the measurements and find out what's best for u. I think I use 1/2 water, then conditioner, then oils & glycerin.

Finally- there are some times when I use some Africa's best grease on my ends but not allthe time since i have the other moisturizers listed above.

I like CD's hair milk. And when I'm doing twist, or twist out styles I like MJ's Buttercreme, eventhough I hate to admit it. I also like ORS Olive oil for daily usage. I know it has helped alot using a moisturzing shampoo and conditioner, I like Deva Curl, but alot of lines are very good. I think if you start in the beginning of the process it helps alot. Pre treatment with Evoo, and cheap conditioner has also helped when I'm dealing with major dryness, like after taking out braids. Also my new bff castor oil on the ends over night.

Qhemet's heavy cream is my fav. It is so moisturizing and softens really well. I use S-curl and Africa's Best liquid hair mayo also.

[quote=bLackButtaFly : I want to try to hair milk. Is it a leave in?

Pokahontas: Does the Qhemets help w/detangling

ToyToy: I've never heard of Shea moisture leave-in, where do you buy this? Do you use it daily?

I've been using JBCO or carefree curl with Jojoba oil. I also want to try CD's hair milk and or Scurl product(s)

The hair milk is just like a regular moisturizer, like a mango butter. It is not super thick, and is great if you just want to give your hair moisture without weighing it down. I love th results when I use it right after washing, like a leave in. Then I'll use it with a heavier hand, and it doesn't leave a film on my hair, aand it doesn't feel like i need to apply it every hour usually I put it on my ends everyother day, or less, until I wash. I didn't like this product when I was perming, but now it's my favorite.

Hi i got 4a kinky coils and condition washes and coconut oil seem like the only thing to make my hair soft, I have ordered afro detangler hope it works better...

I make sure to use water-based moisturizers on my hair. They work well for me.

I'm currently using:
Oyins Frank Juice (spicy scent, oyinhandmade.com) -- the original Greg Juice (citrusy-y scent is good too), it's in a spritz bottle
Karens Body Beautiful Hair Milk (karensbodybeautiful.com) -- locking pump bottle
Jane Carter Nourishing Hair Cream (found this at Whole Foods) -- in a tube

The Cream is the the thickest and I use it when my hair is really dry. The spray is great for refreshing my hair in the morning. The Milk is a great light-weight moisturizer. None of these leave my hair greasy and a little product goes a long way. My hair absorbs the products and stays moisturized.

Ms Lala said:
bLackButtaFly : I want to try to hair milk. Is it a leave in? Pokahontas: Does the Qhemets help w/detangling ToyToy: I've never heard of Shea moisture leave-in said:
Hi Ms Lala! You can get the SheaMoisture from http://www.treasuredlocks.com/shemoisshebu1.html if you're in the US or from http://www.nubiannatural.com/acatalog/SM__Conditioner.html if you're in the UK. I use it daily, but in the evening before I braid up my hair. It's extremely thick, so I actually had to heat it up in a bowl of warm water so I could transfer it to a jar. It smells lovely too!! ;)

Scurl and Castor oil to baggy

A mix of water/scurl/infusium 21 as a spray when i need a quick fix of moisture.

For my wash and goes i use pantene hydrating curls and olive oil

im thinking about use aloe vera gel and maybe some of the things the other ladies are using, but right now i like my routine

I think they key is a very good deep conditioner. I use honey/cocnut milk/castor oil and it does wonders- i didn't want to put anything on my hair!

For moisture i use glycerine- just a little bit and also Black and sassy Caribbean dream leave in.

THese are some excellent tips ladies. Please keep them coming. I"m sure there are many naturals who can benefit from this info.

I alternate between Miss Jessie's Buttercreme and Anita Grant's Whipped Butter. Both leave my hair unbeliveably soft and moisturized.

When I want more hold I'll use Kinky Curly Curling Custard mixed with a little Fantasia IC gel.

So far I use the Oyin Whipped Pudding and I like it. I got the Aveda Brillant Styling Creme that everyone has been raving over. I'll try that tonight after I wash! I might have to try S-Curl activator, sounds inexpensive and Lord knows I need to save!!!

Ms Lala said:
bLackButtaFly : I want to try to hair milk. Is it a leave in? Pokahontas: Does the Qhemets help w/detangling ToyToy: I've never heard of Shea moisture leave-in said:
No, I can't say the Qhemet helps me with detangling but it is super moisturizing and only takes a small amount. It seems to make my hair feel stronger when I use it.

Qhemets user here.

The heavy cream is lovely but doesn't help with tangles. For tangles I use her Olive Detangling Cream as a leave-in.

Back