Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Once a week

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • More than once a week

Votes: 1 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tiffjust2002

I use heat about once every 3 months (so I didn't vote)

I wash and condition my hair as I normally would, I don't have to DC beforehand because my hair is pretty healthy and a DC isn't need. I then put my hair in a bun overnight to let it air dry, Then when I am ready I use Suave Heat Protectant and then I press my hair then do a quick flat iron once over each section. Then I use a Glossing Polish like 2 drops on my whole head for added shine and to give it a little weight.

adf23

1. How often you use heat? What tools do you use (blow dryer, flat iron, covered bonnet, etc.) and in what ways (deep conditioning, blow out, etc.)?
About once per month. Ponytail rollerset (4 ponies) and flat iron.

2. What type of hair protectant do you use?
Sally's Proclaim heat protecting serum (red bottle)

3. What is your hair type?
3C/4a

glamazon386

1. How often you use heat? What tools do you use (blow dryer, flat iron, covered bonnet, etc.) and in what ways (deep conditioning, blow out, etc.)?

Maybe once a month to blowdry. The rest of the time I airdry. I only straighten with a flat iron a few times a year. I may use the hooded dryer every once in a blue moon.

I've been using John Frieda Serum and CHI Iron Guard

3. What is your hair type? I'm a 4a.

4. Anything you'd like to add? Are you transitioning Glib? Just know that if you do damage your hair by straightening, that's more hair you're going to have cut off once you BC. I found it easier to make the relaxed hair look textured than to make the textured hair straight. If that makes sense.

Leeda.the.Paladin

1. How often you use heat? What tools do you use (blow dryer, flat iron, covered bonnet, etc.) and in what ways (deep conditioning, blow out, etc.)? Maybe every 3-4 months. I usually blowdry then flat iron.

I used to love Aveda Damage Control, but that was discontinued. These days I am using GVP shine remedy.

3. What is your hair type? mostly 4a I guess with some 3c

MyAngelEyez~C~U

I've straightened my hair 3 times since my BC a year ago. I don't plan to straighten again until my birthday in October or APL, whichever comes first. I prefer my hair kinky/curly though.

Last edited:

Glib Gurl

Are you transitioning Glib? Just know that if you do damage your hair by straightening, that's more hair you're going to have cut off once you BC. I found it easier to make the relaxed hair look textured than to make the textured hair straight. If that makes sense.

Nope, not transitioning . . . just experimenting :yep: Thanks for the tips ladies!!!

lexxi

1. How often you use heat? What tools do you use (blow dryer, flat iron, covered bonnet, etc.) and in what ways (deep conditioning, blow out, etc.)?I blow dry twice a month or 3x if you consider stretching a wash n go;i also use heat for deep conditioning but i dont do it as much now.

2. What type of hair protectant do you use?i used to use grape seed oil but i just switched to the ic serum

3. What is your hair type?4a

4. Anything you'd like to add?

classychic1908

I didn't vote. I use heat once or twice a year. I either airdry in plaits or blow dry and straighten with a hot comb. Next time I intend to rollerset before I straighten, probably in december.

LilMissRed

since being natural.. never :look: funny too because some gf's have been asking me when I'm going to do it... Im scared and loving my naturalness right now :)

PureSilver

How often you use heat? What tools do you use (blow dryer, flat iron, covered bonnet, etc.) and in what ways (deep conditioning, blow out, etc.)? I've been natural 14 months now as of yesterday and yesterday was my very first time putting heat of any kind in my hair. I wanted to lighten the length so my stylist wouldn't have to comb it out before doing my cornrows to do my sewin. I used a flat Iron, no special kind

2. What type of hair protectant do you use? No special heat protectant. I sprayed some Aphogee serum (cant remember the correct name), applied some amla oil followed by castor oil.

3. What is your hair type? 4b

4. Anything you'd like to add? No heat makes my hair thrive more, i realised my ends didn't look so great but that will be fixed because i don't plan on using heat again till next year April 13th when i'll be 2years natural. Can i add too that my stylist was shocked to see my hair length and asked me to give her some of the potion i was using in my hair to make it grow. LOL.

CurlyLawGal

I voted once a month, because that is my NEW regimen. I used to flat iron once a week :nono:

Let me start off by saying, please proceed with CAUTION! When I BC'd I had lovely, vibrant curls. My flat ironed hair was full of body and bounce. I didn't notice a problem until I started flat ironing regularly (it can become addictive). My entire curl pattern changed, because I was not adequately protecting my hair. Now, even when I blow my hair out it is not as full as it once was. So, I am cutting back to once a month, and I might even go longer. I say all of this to say, please be careful. I will post some pictures of my hair now and my hair then just so you can see what I mean.

Not sure if you can see the difference, but I definitely can. Now, keep in mind that factors such as coloring, cuts, and health issues could have attributed to the "flatness" and overly stretched curls. However, once I stopped using heat continuously AND started following a regimen, my hair bounced back :yep:. It's a slow process, but I hope you won't have to learn the hard way, like I did.

~~~~~

Once a month. I air dry 90% of the way and the blow dry on low heat. I use a Chi flat iron (not on high heat).

Chi Silk Infusion and Keratin Mist OR Biosilk (only a drop, if properly DC'd it will not need much product)

3C/4A
~~~~~
HHG!

Attachments

• Untitled1.JPG
    Untitled1.JPG
    10 KB · Views: 20
  • UnTitled2.JPG
    UnTitled2.JPG
    13.8 KB · Views: 19
  • UnTitled3.JPG
    UnTitled3.JPG
    12.9 KB · Views: 21
  • UnTitled4.JPG
    UnTitled4.JPG
    14.7 KB · Views: 19
  • Now.jpg
    Now.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 18

Wildchild453

When I hit waist I stop

I use heat maybe twice a year. I don't really like wearing my hair straight, so it's not about being scared of heat damage. When I do it's at the salon and I get blow dried and flat ironed. I steam treat my deep conditioners.

The one time I straightened at home I used the Silk Elements heat protector.

4a

Last edited:

LongLeggedLife

Every two weeks was my answer, blowouts w/comb attachment, give or take some lazy, hot days where I wet bun as of late.
I use the heat tools listed in my sig.

Umberto Blow Dry Creme, and CHI Iron Guard for when I flat iron, which is maybe once every two months.

3c/4aish??---dont really know

I've always used heat and only found out upon coming to LHCF that it was so problematic for many people. It's fine for me, and I enjoy the versatility of curly, straight, or somewhere in between.
Aside from needing a little trim (I havent in over a year) my hair is thriving.

sapphire18

1. I use heat once a week (maybe twice a week if it is a special occasion). I use a covered bonnet for deep conditioning and drying my hair. Also, I use a flat iron for straightening.
2. I don't use a heat protectant yet. But, I just ordered Redken Smooth Down to use as a heat protectant.

3. My hair type is 4b.
4. There is nothing I would like to add at the moment. Oh, I just thought of something to add. I just started using heat recently. In the past I only straightened the week of my birthday.

Last edited:

ScorpioBeauty09

1. How often you use heat? What tools do you use (blow dryer, flat iron, covered bonnet, etc.) and in what ways (deep conditioning, blow out, etc.)? My hair's in braids one month out of the year when I'm on vacation so I can swim, but the rest of the year it's flat ironed. I used to use heat every 3-4 weeks but my scalp does better when it's washed every 2 weeks so I blow dry and flat iron every 2 weeks. I deep condition on every wash and use ACV rinse with rosemary, peppermint and lavender oils.

2. What type of hair protectant do you use? I use IC Fantasia Heat Protetant though I've tried CHI Silk Essentials too which is okay.

3. What is your hair type? 4a

4. Anything you'd like to add? I've retained more length in the past year than ever from DC-ing regularly, alternating DCs and using ACV rinses. Wash and go's require too much maintenance and braids are nice for swimming but my hair doesn't maintain moisture as easily plus my scalp builds up quicker since it's already on the oily side.

Last edited: