Naturals (especially type 4)!!!! The Secret For Perm Straight Hair In ONE PASS....

SpiritJunkie

Re: Naturals (especially type 4)!!!! The Secret For Perm Straight Hair In ONE PASS...

I learned from trial and error with my natural hair and this method is the truth.....

Holla

Re: Naturals (especially type 4)!!!! The Secret For Perm Straight Hair In ONE PASS...

I don't get it. What is the method being discussed? Is it layering DCs, sleeping with DC overnight, moisturizing/sealing with a particular product? What is THE method to upping moisture?

I learned a long time ago from a stylist that moisture is the key to anything with natural hair, from detangling to maintaining curl patterns to flat ironing. I just need to learn more ways to up my moisture and I'n not sure what is being discussed in this thread.

Anaisin

I don't get it. What is the method being discussed? Is it layering DCs, sleeping with DC overnight, moisturizing/sealing with a particular product? What is THE method to upping moisture?

I learned a long time ago from a stylist that moisture is the key to anything with natural hair, from detangling to maintaining curl patterns to flat ironing. I just need to learn more ways to up my moisture and I'n not sure what is being discussed in this thread.

I like how Anthony Dickey explains it. I need to find the video, said the same thing about needing moisture. Not skimping on the conditioner to bring your hair to max health and you won't have problems going back and forth from natural state to straight hair.

I think the thread is confusing as well but I think the main point is not having product build up before flat ironing. It shouldn't feel like you have product on your hair but it should be soft and moisturized from the deep conditioner.

nlamr2013

Lol its just talking about making sure you have moisture in hair before pressing
I bumped it because I wanted to remember a few of the products listed.
I also don't typically pre poo/hot oil clarify or put protein in my hair prior to flat ironing. I'm excited to see if there will be noticeable difference between my hair now and my hair before

Supervixen

I don't get it. What is the method being discussed? Is it layering DCs, sleeping with DC overnight, moisturizing/sealing with a particular product? What is THE method to upping moisture? I learned a long time ago from a stylist that moisture is the key to anything with natural hair, from detangling to maintaining curl patterns to flat ironing. I just need to learn more ways to up my moisture and I'n not sure what is being discussed in this thread.

Apply a moisturizing conditioner with an oil added to the length of your hair heavily--as if you are applying a relaxer to virgin hair.

Fine 4s

Another tip I received was to do a protein treatment before any straightening. I even do it before a blow dry.

MzRhonda

I am trying this and I have conditioner in my hair now I will wash in the morning after I workout.

MzRhonda

Wow...impressed. :up:

I washed the conditioner out while in the shower and did a quick wash with Wen Fig.

T-shirt dryed then put in my Jane Carter leave in, it is also a heat protectant. I then began to blow dry my hair......after it was so soft.

Next I flat ironed in small sections, a bit nervous here because I usually use another heat protectant and a pressing creme. My hair is short and I usually flat iron into a curl(bump) and put a curler on it but instead I just flat ironed straight so that I could see the results.

Very very impressed........soft, silky and bouncey....not weighed down at all.

Since I usually do curlers I then quicker with the flat ironed bumped my hair to add my curlers all over my head.

I can't wait to take my hair down I am expecting a nice fluffy bouncey style/look.

This is a really keeper.

MzRhonda

:bump: :bump:

Don't sleep on this. :up:

MzRhonda

Update:

It has been 5 days and my hair still feels nice and silky and bouncey, with body. To the touch it feels like I have a perm.

I will be rewashing Sunday to get ready for the work week. That will be the test my hair usually poofs up and gets frizzy by Wednesday at the latest and I feel the need to rewash again so I don't look a mess.

I have not put any other product on my hair.

This method will certainly curb the PJism on straight hair days. I only used conditioner, washed it out and then used Wen, then used my detangler/heat protectant....nothing else since. :up:

Supervixen

Update:

It has been 5 days and my hair still feels nice and silky and bouncey, with body. To the touch it feels like I have a perm.

I will be rewashing Sunday to get ready for the work week. That will be the test my hair usually poofs up and gets frizzy by Wednesday at the latest and I feel the need to rewash again so I don't look a mess.

I have not put any other product on my hair.

This method will certainly curb the PJism on straight hair days. I only used conditioner, washed it out and then used Wen, then used my detangler/heat protectant....nothing else since. :up:

It REALLY DOES work well!:grin:

MzRhonda

^^^

Yes it does, I did it again Sunday and left the conditioner in for about 3 hours and it still turned out great. I think this method can even be used for nice wash n goes.

MzRhonda

:bump:

Still using this technique with great success. :up:

Misseyl

Bumping for future reference

Evolving78

@shortdub78, which sulfate shampoo(s) do you recommend? Do you only use them for clarifying or more often?
I recommend a shampoo that is formulated to help prepare the hair for heat styling. so Salon quality shampoos and conditioners.
Keracare, Design Essentials, Kera, Nairobi, Elucence, etc..
If you have a lot of build up, or only use a sulfate shampoo once a month, then a clarifying shampoo would be needed.
Next you need a Moisturizing sulfate shampoo.

Cones are needed to provide protection when heat styling.
Generally certified cosmotologists would not recommend adding oils to your conditioners. The conditioners are meant to work alone during heat styling. When you add product for slip, you are creating a coating, that could cause your conditioner to not work effectively in protecting your hair (hair could burn/heat damage), therefore oil and heat doesn't mix.

This is why it's so hard for naturals to get salon results at home. Too much product, not using products correctly, not properly removing buildup, and using super low heat.

And to be honest you take a risk with getting a silk press. Your hair is not naturally Silky, so you are going against the grain trying to achieve something it wasn't meant to do.

Naturals that like their hair to revert back shouldn't focus on relaxer straight results. That's what relaxers are for.

trueheartofgold

I recommend a shampoo that is formulated to help prepare the hair for heat styling. so Salon quality shampoos and conditioners.
Keracare, Design Essentials, Kera, Nairobi, Elucence, etc..
If you have a lot of build up, or only use a sulfate shampoo once a month, then a clarifying shampoo would be needed.
Next you need a Moisturizing sulfate shampoo.

Cones are needed to provide protection when heat styling.
Generally certified cosmotologists would not recommend adding oils to your conditioners. The conditioners are meant to work alone during heat styling. When you add product for slip, you are creating a coating, that could cause your conditioner to not work effectively in protecting your hair (hair could burn/heat damage), therefore oil and heat doesn't mix.

This is why it's so hard for naturals to get salon results at home. Too much product, not using products correctly, not properly removing buildup, and using super low heat.

And to be honest you take a risk with getting a silk press. Your hair is not naturally Silky, so you are going against the grain trying to achieve something it wasn't meant to do.

Naturals that like their hair to revert back shouldn't focus on relaxer straight results. That's what relaxers are for.

Thanks so much for responding and the thorough explanation!