What products/vitamins/etc. soften your natural hair?

cocoberry10

Thanks ladies! I would like to know.

I am really determined not to go back to relaxing once I am fully natural.

I really want to maximize my natural hair, but I would like to know what products you find that keep your natural hair soft, especially when you are wearing it curly/kinky. I know when I blowdry/straighten, it will be soft like in my relaxer days.

However, what products do you use that help keep your coils springy, but your actual hair soft?

I don't always want that crunchy product feel when I wear my hair natural!

Sweet almond oil hands down. I get mine from the Mexican section of the personal hygene section at Wallart for about three bucks. Its great to use on the skin too!

After taking MSM for a while I noticed that my new growth would be softer and the curl pattern more loose. It became more easier for me to stretch out my relaxers with less trouble. I was even able to stop relaxing my edges for a year because they didn't look so obvious when the new growth came in and they just blended with the relaxed hair. However, I got lazy and quit taking the MSM and the hair went back to how it used to be so I've recently starting relaxing all of it again.

Anyway, to answer your original question (sorry got sidetracked :lol:), MSM and flaxseed oil seems to make my hair noticeably softer.

After taking MSM for a while I noticed that my new growth would be softer and the curl pattern more loose. It became more easier for me to stretch out my relaxers with less trouble. I was even able to stop relaxing my edges for a year because they didn't look so obvious when the new growth came in and they just blended with the relaxed hair. However, I got lazy and quit taking the MSM and the hair went back to how it used to be so I've recently starting relaxing all of it again.

Anyway, to answer your original question (sorry got sidetracked :lol:), MSM and flaxseed oil seems to make my hair noticeably softer.

Thanks for the info. Do you take liquid flaxseed oil? I am currently taking MSM and have some flaxseed (actually it's the 3, 6, 9 oils with all the good stuff in it:lol::yep:). I slacked on it for a while, but I will start taking that again!

Thanks for the info. Do you take liquid flaxseed oil? I am currently taking MSM and have some flaxseed (actually it's the 3, 6, 9 oils with all the good stuff in it:lol::yep:). I slacked on it for a while, but I will start taking that again!

coco, the flaxseed oil, plus a good water intake should help make anyone's hair moist moist and soft.

I'm not natural anymore but scurl worked great for me. im a very coarse, very tightly coiled 4b. People would touch my hair and couldnt believe how soft it was.

I take the flaxseed geltabs and I'm pretty picky with the brand (my favorite is Spectrum essentials). I go for the ones that are organic, cold pressed, and unrefined which usually is more expensive but I think worth it. You're are definitely on the right track getting all the Omega groups! I do the same.

The MSM I take is in powder form. When I took the capsule form I didn't notice as much of a difference as I do with the powder.

How long were u taking that liquid Flax until you saw results. I'm not natural but I know it would help w/ stretching and overall health.

I ordered some Flax oil and that stuff is NASTY! I have to chase it down with kool-aid or soda or something. I'm trying to take 2 Tblsp a day.

When should i expect results? And can i pour that flax into something else? Like my grits or mix it w/ my syrup in the morning while eatin my waffles?

Sitting under the dryer with Honey, and vatika oil for 15 minutes works for me. I haven't relaxed in 6 months. The honey seems to do the trick really :yep:. Then a deep conditioner following that.

Co-washing and shea butter makes my hair soft. But recently, what has made my hair even more soft and moisturized is vegetable glycerine and water mix. I spritz it on my hair every night. I love that stuff!

Last edited:
I thought it was my imagination, but I was just telling DH that I think my hair is coming in a diff. texture possibly d/t my flaxseed caps. Then I see this thread later on and confirm this b/c others are noticing the same thing

My edges and temples fell out. I started the flax and it looks as if my edges are coming in silky, a looser wave pattern and thicker.

I joked to DH that I have "good" hair on my edges but the rest is dry and coarse. LOL

How long were u taking that liquid Flax until you saw results. I'm not natural but I know it would help w/ stretching and overall health.

I ordered some Flax oil and that stuff is NASTY! I have to chase it down with kool-aid or soda or something. I'm trying to take 2 Tblsp a day.

When should i expect results? And can i pour that flax into something else? Like my grits or mix it w/ my syrup in the morning while eatin my waffles?

Girl, it is nasty. I would always give any product at least one month before expecting any results, so it can get into your bloodstream.

Also, refrigerate the flax oil upon opening!:yep: As far as mixing it with hot foods, I would do a google search on that. I know you can't/aren't supposed to heat flax seeds, but I'm not so sure about the oil!

My natural 4a/b/z hair is extremely brittle and dry. I’ve been taking Ultra-Nourish Hair, Biotin, Silica (horsetail), and MSM since January. I just washed this weekend and visibly feel and see softer, less coarse new growth.

I’ve recently incorporated flaxseed oil (2 weeks ago) and dropped MSM. Maybe I’ll start taking the MSM again. But with all these pills I’m popping I’m not really sure what’s contributing to the softer new growth.

BTW, I’ve also started DCing and co-washing once a week. This is coming from someone who used to wash like every 3 weeks and DC every other month. So maybe that has something to do with softer new growth too. :look:

Back