Natural hair with Straight weave

AfroDoll

Hi...

I want to get a straight weave with some of my hair left out. I've been natural for over a year and I need a break from the kinky-curly styles.

I'm thinking of straightening my leave-out once a week. Could I do that without getting heat damage?

Does anyone flat iron all of their hair before a sew in?
What products/methods keep your hair from reverting?

Thanks

naturalTAN

Why not just get a full-head weave? I've seen really good invisible parts done with no glue on, just braids on youtube.

chickle

im sure there are ways to prevent it, but i ALWAYS get heat damage when i install a straight weave even when i only straighten once a week

msbettyboop

Don't do it. I did that with my natural hair last year and I regretted it. I didn't suffer heat damage, which would have been better. Instead, I lost a lot of hair and I didn't notice cos the rest of the hair was in the weave. When I took it out, I realised all the leave out hair had thinned a lot. Never again!:wallbash:.

Get a full head weave or get a kinky curly weave that matches your texture.

melisandre

I'm not sure what type of climate (dry vs. humid) you live in, but during the warmer months it's harder to keep your hair from reverting because of humidity and sweating in the heat. That's why lots of women wear straight styles in the fall/winter and curly styles in the spring/summer.

I agree with those above who suggest a full weave.

Tiye

This only works if your hair texture can match the weave when pressed/ironed. For example, a lot of tight textured type 4 hair doesn't blend with most straight weave. So if this applies to you then it's not worth risking heat damage and you might be happier with a full head weave instead.

curlycrown85

A good friend of mine who is natural did that and regretted it (and she used a heat protectant). As naturalTAN suggested, invisible parts are looking more and more realistic nowadays. Or, you can always go for the china bang look.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
You may or may not get heat damage. You will probably get some texture loosening.

I don't know the climate where you're at, but for me personally trying to keep my hair straight and blending with some straight weave during the summer is going to be a FAIL and more trouble than it's worth.

beana

The ladies have given you great advice! Humidity will make or break you. I'm natural and wear weaves. I flat iron my hair ONCE every 10-14 days without any damage, so I am proof that it can be done. I have also worn weave 80% of the time in the past 2 years, so I can vouch for the long term effects of flat ironing your leave out after a few years.

BUT I also wear kinky straight texture weave, so if I dont feel like flat ironing I can airdry my leave out and weave and they bend seamlessly. I recommend Extensions Pus relaxed texture which gets relaxer straight with heat but airdries poofy with kink if you want great quality hair that will last for years.

AfroDoll

Why not just get a full-head weave? I've seen really good invisible parts done with no glue on, just braids on youtube.

I've done full-head weaves before. My hair is always in a protective style because I'm not comfortable with the length I'm at. I just feel like leaving some hair out:lol: .. but I will have a look on youtube.

im sure there are ways to prevent it, but i ALWAYS get heat damage when i install a straight weave even when i only straighten once a week

You get heat damage everytime??! Does your texture just loosen or is it really straight now?

Don't do it. I did that with my natural hair last year and I regretted it. I didn't suffer heat damage, which would have been better. Instead, I lost a lot of hair and I didn't notice cos the rest of the hair was in the weave. When I took it out, I realised all the leave out hair had thinned a lot. Never again!:wallbash:.

Thanks for the warning. I'll probably get a curly weave...

I'm not sure what type of climate (dry vs. humid) you live in, but during the warmer months it's harder to keep your hair from reverting because of humidity and sweating in the heat. That's why lots of women wear straight styles in the fall/winter and curly styles in the spring/summer.

I agree with those above who suggest a full weave.

Ok thanks. I'm in London and it's just started getting warmer so I'll just forget about flat ironing now

This only works if your hair texture can match the weave when pressed/ironed. For example, a lot of tight textured type 4 hair doesn't blend with most straight weave. So if this applies to you then it's not worth risking heat damage and you might be happier with a full head weave instead.

I have very thick 4b hair.. I have no idea if my hair will blend because I haven't flat ironed my hair before lol but I thought I'd just do extra passes and add lots of heat protectant :spinning: but as you said its not worth the risk

A good friend of mine who is natural did that and regretted it (and she used a heat protectant). As naturalTAN suggested, invisible parts are looking more and more realistic nowadays. Or, you can always go for the china bang look.

Thanks.. I will look into invisibe parts.

^^

Yes, heat protectants fail just like condoms. :look:

:lachen:

You may or may not get heat damage. You will probably get some texture loosening.

I don't know the climate where you're at, but for me personally trying to keep my hair straight and blending with some straight weave during the summer is going to be a FAIL and more trouble than it's worth.

I'm in London, it's been quite warm..I dont mind my texture loosening a little bit. But you're right, trying to blend will be hard.

The ladies have given you great advice! Humidity will make or break you. I'm natural and wear weaves. I flat iron my hair ONCE every 10-14 days without any damage, so I am proof that it can be done. I have also worn weave 80% of the time in the past 2 years, so I can vouch for the long term effects of flat ironing your leave out after a few years.

BUT I also wear kinky straight texture weave, so if I dont feel like flat ironing I can airdry my leave out and weave and they bend seamlessly. I recommend Extensions Pus relaxed texture which gets relaxer straight with heat but airdries poofy with kink if you want great quality hair that will last for years.

Yeah its quite humid right now. The previous posts have put me off the idea :lachen: but could you tell me your hair type and what products you use please.

ms.blue

Invisible parts imo don't look natural (in pics they look natural, irl...they don't). You could try using a closure. Try using straight hair w/ texture such as yaki, italian yaki or kinky straight so your natural hair will blend more. You will also need to start using more protein based products on your leave out due to increase heat usage (aphrogee keratin and green tea reconstructor is a good protein leave-in spray) and anti-humidity products.

AfroDoll

Invisible parts imo don't look natural (in pics they look natural, irl...they don't). You could try using a closure. Try using straight hair w/ texture such as yaki, italian yaki or kinky straight so your natural hair will blend more. You will also need to start using more protein based products on your leave out due to increase heat usage (aphrogee keratin and green tea reconstructor is a good protein leave-in spray) and anti-humidity products.

Yeah I agree, I've seen some really bad invisible parts/lace wigs..
Thanks for the tips.

AfroDoll

Ughhh.. I cant wait till my hair is long enough to make a decent sized puff.. then I wont had to deal with the weaves!

How do all of these celebs keep their hair straight all year round and still have healthy looking hair e.g Angela Simmons, Beyoncé, Gabrielle Union,Toya etc??!!...

MzSwift

I second the closure. There are even closures that can be parted in multiple ways. Or you could play around with some straight wigs.

The ladies you mentioned have lots of money and a team of professionals to keep their hair "looking" healthy. I'm not really sure if their hair really is healthy though.

Look up YT videos on doing a puff. I finally decided to do that one day and I'm glad I did. I saw ladies with short hair doing puffs that made me think they had really long hair!

AfroDoll

I second the closure. There are even closures that can be parted in multiple ways. Or you could play around with some straight wigs.

The ladies you mentioned have lots of money and a team of professionals to keep their hair "looking" healthy. I'm not really sure if their hair really is healthy though.

Look up YT videos on doing a puff. I finally decided to do that one day and I'm glad I did. I saw ladies with short hair doing puffs that made me think they had really long hair!

Thanks will look at closures...

Yeah, I understand they have the money for pro hair stylists, I just thought someone might have seen their regimens online.

Will definitely look on YT. I need all the help I can get lol

irisak

AfroDoll said:
Thanks will look at closures...

Yeah, I understand they have the money for pro hair stylists, I just thought someone might have seen their regimens online.

Will definitely look on YT. I need all the help I can get lol

I cosign with closures. I swear by them because I get all the benefits of s protective style including ALL of my hair being hidden but it looks more natural imo. Check out bhm for cvs where you can find them really cheap. A bonus is the good ones can be used for multiple installs and you can change your placement even with a small one and have s whole new fresh style.

Eta
The best ones are lace with free style parting. You can even order a custom for less than 100 with shopping from China and have in about 3 weeks.

Sent from my HTC EVO using LHCF. any spelling errors should be blamed on auto-correct.

Last edited:

MrsHouston

This is why I switched to a full cap wig versus half wigs. I leave all my natural hair braided.