Damaged Leave Out Advice

ForestRose

So I've been PS my hair but recently I've stopped because of my damaged leave out. I bought a closure and it looks nice but too fake and it's taking a lot of manipulation to get it to look natural which I haven't even completed yet. I've even damaged it a little by plucking too much in some areas.

I can't put heat on my leaveout anymore. I have 3 solutions:

-buy a kinky/curly/kinky straight weave (which is more money when I have perfectly good hair at home plus kinky weave can still be difficult to blend because they just process the silky hair)

-find a way to straighten my leaveout without a flat iron.

-put the leaveout part in a safe area of my head and start using the safe leaveout methods I have learned.

Advice? Have you been through this. My main aim is to cover my hair this year.

Going from having leave out to closure is difficult. You can leave a sliver of your hair out in the front to help blend your hair with the closure. Try roller setting your leave out or other method of stretching your leave out. How often did you put heat on your leave out?

What safe leave out methods have you learned?

Buying a new wig/ hair that matches your texture is your best bet. Otherwise roller setting may be your second best option.

Depending on your texture, roller setting your leave out may also take its toll. I need to apply a lot of tension and use really small sections if I want to achieve that straightened look on my 4c/b hair and I will loose some strands in the process.

I have kinky straight wigs and wearing them with leave-out (even a slither) is a pain because without heat applied, the texture of my hair just doesn't blend well IMO. Heat, and roller setting my slithers of leave-out was too much for my fine strands and I suffered some breakage around my hairline.

i would have to try a different texture of hair if you want to continue using weaves to PS.
like you, i can't stand wiggy/fake looking weaves so i couldn't deal with a fake looking weave or closure.

i don't think there's really any safe way to blend leave-out without using heat. i also think you should quit while you're head, so to speak. i wouldn't want you to damage it any further than it already is.

Yes, try a curly half wig. Lightly slick down your leave out and put a cloth ribbon around the part where the half wig shows and call it a day.

You'll have the length of hair you want in no time.

Or you can try Crochet Braids.

Good luck!

Maybe half wig
Which allows you to take care of your leave out

Thank you the the advice everyone! I'll probably go for a curly weave at somepoint. Will put it in jumbo braids or cornrows in the meantime just to change up the tension on my hair. I just didn't see the point of buying more weave seeing as I have perfectly good weave at home but I will soon.

Going from having leave out to closure is difficult. You can leave a sliver of your hair out in the front to help blend your hair with the closure. Try roller setting your leave out or other method of stretching your leave out. How often did you put heat on your leave out?
Every few days without using any kind of pomade to hold it down. So it would get very frizzy quick.

What safe leave out methods have you learned?

Buying a new wig/ hair that matches your texture is your best bet. Otherwise roller setting may be your second best option.

Depending on your texture, roller setting your leave out may also take its toll. I need to apply a lot of tension and use really small sections if I want to achieve that straightened look on my 4c/b hair and I will loose some strands in the process.

I have kinky straight wigs and wearing them with leave-out (even a slither) is a pain because without heat applied, the texture of my hair just doesn't blend well IMO. Heat, and roller setting my slithers of leave-out was too much for my fine strands and I suffered some breakage around my hairline.
safe method include putting something on it to flatten and smooth it like a pomade. Instead of straightening it every few days when it became mildly frizzy. Plus wearing headybands/scarfs on days I don't want to straighten the leaveout.
I only started doing this towards the end and most of the damage has already occurred.

Yes I was considering kinky straight but a lot of the time its just silky weave with crimps and it's more usually much more expensive than other straight textures. Plus no quality assured on aliexpress.

Last edited:
Thank you the the advice everyone! I'll probably go for a curly weave at somepoint. Will put it in jumbo braids or cornrows in the meantime just to change up the tension on my hair. I just didn't see the point of buying more weave seeing as I have perfectly good weave at home but I will soon.

Every few days without using any kind of pomade to hold it down. So it would get very frizzy quick.

safe method include putting something on it to flatten and smooth it like a pomade. Instead of straightening it every few days when it became mildly frizzy. Plus wearing headybands/scarfs on days I don't want to straighten the leaveout.
I only started doing this towards the end and most of the damage has already occurred.

Yes I was considering kinky straight but a lot of the time its just silky weave with crimps and it's more usually much more expensive than other straight textures. Plus no quality assured on aliexpress.
Try using heat once a week. My regimen is to wash my leave out once a week.
-apply leave in (aphogee green tea and keratin spray) and heat protectant
-either rollerset or use faux curlformers to stretch out my leave out
-apply aveda brilliance pomade or a slightly heavier serum
-flatiron in small sections doing the comb chase method with a boar bristles brush on 300-320 deg F
-pin curl my leave out along with some the weave hair
-tie my hair up at night
-once my roots start to revert, I would either flattwist or braid my hair to pin back

Hth in giving you some ideas

Last edited:
Back