My Hair's Guilty Pleasure: Blowdrying

BeautifulFlower

I love to blowdry my hair semi-straight instead of airdrying. My hair retains moisture better, looks better and healthier, and doesnt break at the ends as much. My hair is many different textures so airdrying often leaves it dry and frizzy looking. And when the new growth come in...look out...my hair just looks a hot mess.

Does anyone blowdry weeking without alot of damage? Do you notice you hair feels better than airdrying?

Maybe I should just blowdry once every two weeks. I should know better but I've been airdrying so long I dont even know anymore.

Girl I blow dry all the time, my hair does not respond to airdrying, unless Im doing a protective style, braidout, bantu knot set, etc.

Gots to have heat … LOL

Im sure its one of the reasons I dust a lot, but I don’t care, LOL

Hey Prettyface,

I asked a similar question this week since I plan to up my blowouts starting December.
I was told to use a high quality blowdryer and also a good heat protectant.
However, I wanted to blowdry every other month but every week hmmm....you have improved your moisture levels so maybe if you keep that up than enjoy the blowouts! I would give it a rest from time to time though....Wouldn't want you to undo all the hard work!!!!

I am thinking of doing it every other week. My hair does flourish with airdrying but it gets real ugly after 6 weeks post. And it holds moisture better now that I can get leave-in to the scalp without ripping through new growth.

I should invest in a good blowdryer. A nice ceramic one. I use Chi as my heat protectant. I should find something else to compliment.

Blow drying has never had an adverse effect on my hair. I used to go to the dominican salon every week and they would rollerset and then blow dry (usually just my roots sometimes all of my hair). My hair looked and felt great imo.

I blowdry weekly & it doesn't have an adverse effect on me either, but I also deep condition very frequently

Your hair is relaxed, so I don't think it will hurt as long as you use a heat protector. As for naturals, I don't know how it would affect the hair. There is a threat of permanent heat straitening.:ohwell:

Thanks ladies. This makes me feel more comfortable using my blowdrier. My hair has gotten to long and thick to have the patience for flat ironning. I have flat iron about 3 times this year. The rest of the time, I airdry and put in a bun. I am so lazy with my hair. Blow drying straight really helps me out alot.

Thanks for the DC tip CMBODLEY. I have been slacking on that too. I should get more consistent with that if I am going to use this heat more.

Once a week for me has always been good, my new thing is using low speed with high heat instead of high speed and heat, my relaxed hair needs to be blown out, air drying is a nice idea but results in too much hair shedding next wash.

I was thinking of just air drying a bit at least to 80% dry and then using a wet to dry flat iron to eliminate the blowdry and iron, anyone use the wet to dry irons?

Once a week for me has always been good, my new thing is using low speed with high heat instead of high speed and heat, my relaxed hair needs to be blown out, air drying is a nice idea but results in too much hair shedding next wash.

I was thinking of just air drying a bit at least to 80% dry and then using a wet to dry flat iron to eliminate the blowdry and iron, anyone use the wet to dry irons?

I airdry then blow dry usually but not too much. I dont want to blow dry already dry hair. Breakage city.

I heard the wet to dry irons are needed to avoid damage to hair if you want to do the wet to dry thing.

I blow dry and flat iron every week, my hair (IMHO) is fine.

I will say every time I use Redken Iron Repair (leave in) and Redken Satin Finish blow dry lotion...LOVE these products! They do not weigh my hair down at all and are not greasy or anything.

Last edited:
I blow dry and flat iron everyday, my hair (IMHO) is fine.

I will say every time I use Redken Iron Repair (leave in) and Redken Satin Finish blow dry lotion...LOVE these products! They do not weigh my hair down at all and are not greasy or anything.

I am transitioning but I have decided that I need to use direct heat at least once a week because my hair is starting to tangle and knot. What is your routine that you follow everyday? Do you wash then blow and flat iron everyday?

I am transitioning but I have decided that I need to use direct heat at least once a week because my hair is starting to tangle and knot. What is your routine that you follow everyday? Do you wash then blow and flat iron everyday?

Girl, I'm tired...please forgive me! I meant to say every week...I'm so sorry!!

Let me go change my post...

I also use the Iron repair sometimes and I love it.

I blowdry on a regular basis.

The key for me is making sure my technique is flawless. I have it pretty much perfected now. I blow dry on low heat but with high speed for the most part. I section my hair into 8 sections and spray each one with paul mitchel seal and shine. Then as I move through each one, I add some creamy protectant like the Iron guard redken stuff or joico balm.

I am going to try these products.

What kind of blowdriers do you guys use?

I also use the Iron repair sometimes and I love it.

I blowdry on a regular basis.

The key for me is making sure my technique is flawless. I have it pretty much perfected now. I blow dry on low heat but with high speed for the most part. I section my hair into 8 sections and spray each one with paul mitchel seal and shine. Then as I move through each one, I add some creamy protectant like the Iron guard redken stuff or joico balm.

my hair does not respond to airdrying, unless Im doing a protective style, braidout, twists, cornrows etc.

When I was relaxed I'd blow dry & flat iron once a week - after deep conditioning.
I think as a natural I'll be trying this same method for the winter months. this is my first NJ winter as a natural.

I avoided heat through the spring & summer because the humidity jumped all over the straightened styles and ruined them almost immediately.

I am also interested in knowing what kind of blow dryer everyone uses.
I use a gold n hot blow dryer but it's too bulky and I'm getting ready to buy something new.

I've been looking into the Conair Yellowbird.

my hair doesn't mind being blowdried once a week either.:look: in fact, for a two week period during the summer when I was tryin to look extra cute, I blowdried twice a week and my hair was fine. :look:
I might steal your reggie for winter, Mook-blowdrying once a week after intensive deep conditioning sounds good. What's your method, if you don't mind me asking?:grin:
I think, for naturals, the key is, if you choose to use a comb attachment, your hair must be detangled PROPERLY so you're not ripping through it.

I’m also interested to know what hairdryers everyone is using as I was thinking of purchasing a T3 Tourmaline Evolution Ionic hairdryer. Also I have a question if I may, Does anyone use a leave-in conditioner (like Oyin Honey-Hemp Conditioner) in addition to a heat protector prior to blowdrying or is it better just to use a heat protector I'm a little confused :perplexed:?
Thanks very much

Last edited:
I’m also interested to know what hairdryers everyone is using as I was thinking of purchasing a T3 Tourmaline Evolution Ionic hairdryer. Also I have a question if I may, Does anyone use a leave-in conditioner (like Oyin Honey-Hemp Conditioner) prior to blowdrying or is it better just to use a heat protector?

I think that a good heat protectant has to have cones. Honey Hemp doesn't have any so I don't think it will protect your hair. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Hey prettyfaceANB. I rather blowdry than airdry too. It makes my hair feel stronger and softer. I get much less breakage, tangles, and knots from blowdrying after I wash, condition, and detangle my hair. I blowdry my hair once or twice a month. I use a Ion 1875-Watt Ceramic Styler Dryer.

I blowdry my hair once a week. Before I discovered the joys of blowdrying I was a die hard rollersetter. My hair is MB now so it would take my hair 2-3 hours to dry under the dryer and breakage was increasing.

Before blowdrying in 4 sections I spray my hair with Aveda Damage Control and apply a tiny bit of leave in cream mainly on the ends. I blow dry making sure to aim the nozzle downward and I use a paddle brush.

My hair is happy! HTH

Air drying was not good for me :nono:. I don't know why, and after I tried it 3 diff ways, I didn't need to try anymore. I realized that my hair did MUCH better after being blowdried, and I saw less breakage. I saw that I was still retaining too. The only time i'll air dry is if i'm in braids, or any other style that doesn't require manipulation.
ETA: I love my hair after it's been blowdried. :giggle:

I think that a good heat protectant has to have cones. Honey Hemp doesn't have any so I don't think it will protect your hair. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Thanks very much, my post wasn't very clear, I meant in addition to applying a heat protector, sorry about that

I blow dried my hair last week for the first time in a long time and I loved how my hair looked and felt. I just have to invest in a good hair dryer.

Back