Please help me - I'm at my wits end!!!

barnardbaby027

I try to keep going with the notion that airdrying makes my hair healthier and that, in the long run, a long head of hair will be my reward for not using heat. However, my hair is breaking so fast that I don't think I'm even going to have any hair to airdry if I keep this up. My hair is so dry and brittle that it breaks when I'm not even touching it!!! I wake up in the morning, take off my satin scarf, and strands of hair are just sitting there in the scarf. I get up from the chair in the computer lab and there are loads of tiny broken hairs on the back of it - and my hair doesn't even reach that far down!!!:mad:

I have tried everything - drying in a bun, drying hanging loose, doing rollersets that made me want to wash my hair and start over again, drying in a satin scarf, drying in a ponytail, etc. NOTHING is working. I have tried every leave-in known to man, and none of them can give me moisturized airdried hair.

My question is: What else can I do? I feel like I am at my wits end. When I blowdried my hair every week (with a FHI ceramic, ionic dryer and CHI Silk Infusion), my hair looked great - it was shiny, soft, and really manageable - and I didn't notice any stunted growth. When I airdry my hair, it looks and feels like crap and starts breaking off. Am I just screwed all around? Everyone keeps saying that if I use heat once a week I will never reach my hair goals. However, it seems like I won't reach them with airdrying either. What's a girl to do when she NEEDS heat?

FunkyMunky

Airdrying doesn't work for me either.

I part my hair in the shower put my leave-ins on and get under the dryer on low or med heat until my hair is about 80% dry (about 5-10 mins or so) then I put do my scalp treatments, moisturizers and seal with oil. My hair comes out straight.

PaulaDiddy

Long Vent... I had this problem a couple of weeks ago. Deep condition really helps with a cold water rinse, towel dry my hair, follow by a leave in conditioner. My brittle, lifeless, and breaking hair came back to life.

After I applied the leave in, I put on a satin scarf to dry over night. But in your testimony, you tied this already.

BTW, all the products were KeraCare.

HTH.

Nonie

I think you'll need to provide more info for people to be able to help you. What products do you use? Do you DC? What do you use? Hair breaks if it's lacking protein; and it breaks if it's got too much protein. Do you detangle before airdrying? Unless you spell things out, people may be unable to pinpoint your problem. Give details and you just might echo someone else's experience with a product or practice and thus get the help you seek.

Good luck in solving this mystery.

guesswho

Yes give more info post your regime lets have an idea of the products you are using and how and when, I'm sure we could help you

barnardbaby027

My current regimen consists of:
Shampoo (clarify 2x per month), deep condition, and apply leave in, and seal (I have used everything from EVOO to Coconut Oil) once per week, all with KeraCare products.
During the week, I moisturize with NTM and wear my hair up un a clip most days.

Even when I have used different products (ORS, Kenra, Redken, etc.), my hair feels amazing after a wash, deep condition, and leave in. It even feels amazing WHILE it airdries. The problem only comes in after it's airdried. My airdried hair is not able to hold any moisture. My blowdried hair holds moisture just fine...

I should add that I have tried protein treatments - ORS Mayo, Emergencee, Aphogee, Aubrey's GPB, Joico, etc. - none of them have stopped my breakage, and some of them I had to stop using because they were accelerating my breakage.

Thanks ladies!

MzRhonda

How are you airdrying?

I got an excellent tip from the ladies here a few weeks ago - Vitapointe - it is absolutely wonderful!!!!!!

Divine Inspiration

The NTM caused problems for me over time, and I had to stop using it.

Does your hair like cones? If I'm not mistaken, KC has cones in it so that may be something to consider.

Also, have you tried drying under a hooded dryer instead of using direct heat?

TeeKay21

I use Carol's Daughter Healthy Hair Butter when I air dry. I put it on while my hair is still mostly wet: sometimes I towel dry it, s/t I put it on while soaking wet. The product is VERY thick and VERY moisturizing. The thickness helps it absorb into the hair instead of evaporating or soaking into the scarf. The moisture leaves my hair very supple and not brittle. This is what it looks like.

The left side had the HHB on it. The right side was air dried with nuthing on it.
HTH!! (But I put it on after it was already dry in this pic. I like that method the best, but it weighs the hair down too much when I do it that way. And I like my hair to SWANG!!)

ETA: I also moisturize daily with the Hair Milk. I use it SPARINGLY cause if I use a lot it just makes my hair wet and wierd!

I also used to use NTM and it didn't do a d@mn thing for my hair. I also use heat in the form of a flat iron b/c my hair is so short, so that's why I airdry. At least until I can bun it, cause when the HHB is used on wet hair to dry in a ponytail i get the nicest little waves!!

I agree with DI, maybe you should use the hooded dryer (indirect heat) if the other tips don't work.

Last edited:

barnardbaby027

MzRhonda, I am airdrying every which way possible. I have not tried Vitapointe - I will go and get some today. Thanks for the tip.

Divine Inspiration, I have tried drying under a hooded dryer, but only in my horrible attempts at rollersets. I will try drying without the rollers the next time I wash - thanks for the suggestion!

Also, it's hard for me to figure out if the problem is with certain ingrediants or not. It's almost like it doesn't matter what products I use while I wash and deep condition because everything feels great at that point. When my hair dries, it's a totally different story. I have tried more than just Kera Care, and the same thing keeps happening. Could my shampoos and conditioners be secretly drying out my hair even though it feels great while they're in there?

TeeKay21, I have used some Carol's Daughter products and HATED them, but I have not tried the Healthy Hair Butter. I will mosey on down to the store today and pick up some - thanks!

Thanks for your suggestions ladies. I hope that some of them pan out well for me!

br0wney3z

I have been exactly where you are. I used to wash my hair, and in the shower and while it was drying my hair would feel gorgeous, the minute it got completely dry, the ends would feel drier than the Sahara desert and start to break. I also posted a thread looking for advice and was told to look at my products to see if they had cones in them. So I did, and just about all my products, especially my leave in, had some cone or another. I decided to scrap it all, and by organic products (Giovanni) that had no SLS or cones. Somone also told me to try using porosity control at the end of each shower for a few weeks, so I went to Sally's and bought the trial size for like $2. Anyway, I have been using these products now for the last few weeks and the breakage has reduced drastically. I now shed more than I break, and my hair feels amazing after airdrying, even when I don't moisturize immediately after. Anyway, its worth a try if you haven't tried this approach. HTH and hang in there.

Last edited:

natasha

br0wney3z said:
I have been exactly where you are. I used to wash my hair, and in the shower and while it was drying my hair would feel gorgeous, the minute it got completely dry, the ends would feel drier than the Sahara desert and start to break. I also posted a thread looking for advice and was told to look at my products to see if they had cones in them. So I did, and just about all my products, especially my leave in, had some cone or another. I decided to scrap it all, and by organic products (Giovanni) that had no SLS or cones. Somone also told me to try using porosity control at the end of each shower for a few weeks, so I went to Sally's and bought the trial size for like $2. Anyway, I have been using these products now for the last few weeks and the breakage has reduced drastically. I know shed more than I break, and my hair feels amazing after airdrying, even when I don't moisturize immediately after. Anyway, its worth a try if you haven't tried this approach. HTH and hang in there.

This is great advice! I would start with a chelating clarifyer (from kenra) remove buildup and deposits then try the above and swee if this works. IMHO you can't go wrong with porosity control. I would recommend shampoo with chelator/ clarifyer than follow with protein dudley's drc is always good than follow with a cone free deep moisturizer with honey and evoo added. This always works for me! HTH!

TeeKay21

Barnardbaby, I know what you mean abt the CD products. The only ones I like are the hair milk, hair butter and tui hair oil. The rest dried my hair out or were just expensive scented water. But the ones I do like i will go to the end of the earth for!! I also agree with using the chelating poo by KENRA. It's the only poo I use b/c Arizona has hard water and the place I live doesn't even have drinkable tap water! I also used to avoid cones before I got the HHB and hair milk. Now that I cut my hair again and can't pull my hair into a ponytail, I use my flatiron. I need cones to protect me from the bi-weekly heat.

I hope some of these tips work for you barnardbaby!!

tkj25

br0wney3z said:
I decided to scrap it all, and by organic products (Giovanni) that had no SLS or cones.

i third taking a look at the ingredients in your products -- especially your shampoo. does your shampoo have sls (sodium lauryl or laureth sulfate) these are extremely drying for most heads of hair. my hair used to be dry as the desert too until i switched up my products.

i ended up giving up shampoos completely because everything dried out my hair too much. :lol: now i just no-poo and this has put my hair on 360 regarding moisture retention. if no-poo doesn't work for your hair, i'd definitely look at the ingredients on your shampoo.

i read ingredients/label like a hawk. i look for moisturising, botanical ingredients, so every step in my regime adds a layer of hydration.

if your shampoo doesn't have sls, i'd try diluting it and/or doing a pre-poo. don't stress with all the knowledge/ideas on this board, we'll find something to help you.

barnardbaby027

Yeah, I have been through organic shampoos and conditioners. The only ones that haven't dried my hair out while still in the shower have been the JASON's, but my airdried hair was brittle even after I've used those. However, I probably haven't tried an ALL cone-free regimen. I will pick up some natural products (like the Giovanni you suggested, br0wney3z) and try them all together. I am certainly open to anything at all that might help me stay away from weekly heat.

I've used Kenra products also (they're fabulous!), but never the chelator. I will pick that up ASAP!

I've heard alot about Porosity Control also. Does anyone know if I can get it online? Is so, can you let me know where?

Thanks so much ladies. You all have been so helpful!

preciousjewel76

You can get Porosity Control conditioner at Sally's.

Umm, don't run out and buy everything folks recommend in this thread, now!:lol: Pick one shampoo and one conditioner and start from there. Try it for two weeks. You need to find something that works for you, but I don't want anybody going broke over hair products. Besides, not all of these things may work for you, and you may not be able to return them!

Tee

preciousjewel76 said:
You can get Porosity Control conditioner at Sally's.

Umm, don't run out and buy everything folks recommend in this thread, now!:lol: Pick one shampoo and one conditioner and start from there. Try it for two weeks. You need to find something that works for you, but I don't want anybody going broke over hair products. Besides, not all of these things may work for you, and you may not be able to return them!

I was thinking the same thing as the bolded. It's really hard to get airdrying down to science. You have to find what works for you. Try a few of the products out at a time. I dont have anything to offer up as a solutions since most suggestions given here you say you have tried and they didnt work.

brickhouse

Airdrying just does not work for everyone. When I airdry I never ever comb my hair. I just leave it in a protective style while it is airdrying. I also use a moisturizing shampoo. I love Keracare Hydrating poo. I also use a moisturizing conditioner which is Humecto and sometimes I finish with Porosity Control.