My discovery

Great thread. I am finding out more and more that my hair is loving protein. I am prepooing with vatika hair oil. Shampoo with Aphogee 2 Shampoo or Silk Elements. DConditioning with Aphogee 2 min once a week. Leave in Neutrogena Triple Moisture Following up with Aphogee green tea and keratin spray

OP, thanks for starting this thread. I just realized I haven't done a protien treatment in a while. I gotta subscribe to this thread.

Sounds like me. I left Aphogee Keratin Reconstructor in my hair for two days recently because my hair was coming out in clumps in the shower. I too was over moisturizing after using protein. This time I used the Aphogee, and did a quick condition and that was it. Hopefully I can get my hair back on track after my mishaps in 2008 (breakage to 1" in the back, clumps in the shower) :ohwell:

Sounds like me. I left Aphogee Keratin Reconstructor in my hair for two days recently because my hair was coming out in clumps in the shower. I too was over moisturizing after using protein. This time I used the Aphogee, and did a quick condition and that was it. Hopefully I can get my hair back on track after my mishaps in 2008 (breakage to 1" in the back, clumps in the shower) :ohwell:

You can do it! Once you get that protein-moisture balance your hair will be growing like weeds! :yep:

Amen Rev. Patricia!
My hair loves protein. I had a very similar experience as yours. I joined LHCF in fall 06 and jumped on all kinds of bandwagons with no progress and several setbacks including a severe allergic reaction to a bandwagon product. I did notice however that my hair behaved a lot better when I did the aphogee 2 step protein treatment the week before relaxing. Now I do the hard-core protein before relaxing, use the reconstructor before neutralizing, and in my weekly wash routine. In the past six months, I've seen significant progress. My hair was SL now I am an inch or two from bra strap length all due to protein.

I have two boxes bandwagon products that I'm going to give to my niece. I sometimes wonder why my hairstylist never suggested a protein treatment to me in all the years I was a customer. Oh well, that is water under the bridge. From now on it's protein all the way for me!

Protein is UNDERrated on this board.

My hair can not thrive without protein. I sometimes sleep in it.

Amen Rev. Patricia!
My hair loves protein. I had a very similar experience as yours. I joined LHCF in fall 06 and jumped on all kinds of bandwagons with no progress and several setbacks including a severe allergic reaction to a bandwagon product. I did notice however that my hair behaved a lot better when I did the aphogee 2 step protein treatment the week before relaxing. Now I do the hard-core protein before relaxing, use the reconstructor before neutralizing, and in my weekly wash routine. In the past six months, I've seen significant progress. My hair was SL now I am an inch or two from bra strap length all due to protein.

I have two boxes bandwagon products that I'm going to give to my niece. I sometimes wonder why my hairstylist never suggested a protein treatment to me in all the years I was a customer. Oh well, that is water under the bridge. From now on it's protein all the way for me!

Which is better, to protein once a week or biweekly, or once a month?

Poodlepizzared,
I am adding the aphogee reconstructor to my moisturizing conditioner for my weekly wash for now. I had some breakage on one side and my hair has almost grown back even. I will probably cut back to alternate weeks once my hair has totally caught up with the other side.

Poodlepizzared,
I am adding the aphogee reconstructor to my moisturizing conditioner for my weekly wash for now. I had some breakage on one side and my hair has almost grown back even. I will probably cut back to alternate weeks once my hair has totally caught up with the other side.

I use the ORS hair mayo (protein), I haven't used it in 3 weeks. I'll use it this tuesday as part of my prepoo routine. I will start using it biweekly as oppose to a weekly routine like I use to.

What about TIGI Dumb Blonde Reconstructor?

Is this considered light, medium or heavy? Do i need to use it like a mask and then follow up with a moisturizing condish?

The first time i tried it alone, it worked well...second time, hair was a little stiff and not that easy to detangle.

I LOVE IT!!
This is the only protein conditioner that I use. I "think" its a light - medium on the protein scale. I have used it as an instant conditioner and a mask, both with great results. I've used it alone and followed it with Kenra MC.

Amen Rev. Patricia!

Thanks for sharing this because this is very inspirational. I am just starting my weekly protein with Joico K pak and when I first came here I wrecked my hair doing the bandwagon thing too. I have a lot more damage to recover from than when I first came here but I feel that I am finally on the right track with the protein thing and using the right product line. I am excited to hear that protein played a major role in getting you just inches away from brastrap length.

i have always been a protein eater , i have actually never done a protein teatment however my hair is thick reg:perplexedardless. i eat protein every day and sometimes i wil drink a protein shake just for the heck of it . everyone is different i guess . i am curious about doing a protein treatment i asked my beautician once and she said that was for people whose hair was severly damaged and since was hair was healthy that i did t need one.
Good info:grin: My hair was damaged so thats why I'm rebuilding my hair with treatments

Is this considered light, medium or heavy? Do i need to use it like a mask and then follow up with a moisturizing condish?

The first time i tried it alone, it worked well...second time, hair was a little stiff and not that easy to detangle.
Hope someone knows the answer. I'm not sure

Congratulations on your hair-discovery. I just recently learned too that my hair needed a better balance of protein and moisture. After reading Audrey Sivasothy's article on protein/moisture balance I instantly saw what I was doing wrong. I was over moisturizing my hair to offset applying MegaTek on my scalp 3 times a week. I wanted to ensure I didn't have protein overload but I made my hair too mushy. :wallbash: I had the epiphany that the protein was only being applied to my scalp so there was no need to add extra moisture to the length of my hair. :blush: So to correct my mistake I used the Nexxus Emergencee reconstructor as a pre-texturizer and pre-neutralizer protein treatment. My hair responded very well to it. Since those 2 protein treatments I have a lot less breakage even though I applied the texturizer when my hair wasn't in its strongest form. :nono: BTW I got the idea to apply the protein prior to neutralizing my texturizer from Audrey too. Here's a link to her article: Guide to Safely Applying Chemical Relaxers
Thank you for the links. Good infomation. We on the right track now!:yay:

Great thread. I am finding out more and more that my hair is loving protein. I am prepooing with vatika hair oil. Shampoo with Aphogee 2 Shampoo or Silk Elements. DConditioning with Aphogee 2 min once a week. Leave in Neutrogena Triple Moisture Following up with Aphogee green tea and keratin spray
I use the NTM also. Aphogee green tea is on my list of products to try along with the shampoo

WOW 2 days. I hope you didn't damage it. I been through the coming out in clumps in shower. :wallbash: Try to incorporate a reconstructor everyweek. duotex and sallys knockoff/joico kpac is great. Try to slowly rebuild your hair. Use it full strength the first couple times then dilute it in another conditioner

Amen Rev. Patricia!

OH MY GOODNESS, WE LEARNED THE HARD WAY. YOUR HAIR IS THRIVING ALMOST BSL. GOD IS GOOD!

Because of this thread i did a protein/moisture wash today.

Cowashed with a V05 Cheapie condish, put some Joico K-Pak Reconstructor on with a shower cap for about 15 minutes, rinsed out and applied AO Honeysuckle Rose.

I did a rollerset and im just gonna sleep in my rollers. I'll see if i have less breakage.

I think i'm gonna continue the protein/moisture thing at once on the SAME wash day and see how that helps.

So what i got from reading this thread is that most of the ladies that use protein often have fine hair.

I have extremely coarse hair, when I used aphogee, the hard one, every two weeks, my became dry and broke off a lot.

From what I understand, fine hair has less cuticle layers, which may be why the fine haired ladies, need more protein..Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Gymfreak, where you at?:lol:

I was just going to post about this. This is FABULOUS for my color treated ends. I mix it 50-50 with a cheapie moisture con, apply it like a relaxer, and dc for an hour or so.

This is the ONLY treatment that has strengthened my colortreated ends!!! they don't snap when I pull the shed strands. they stretch!!!

My other light proteins are in my siggy.

I always use protein and moisture mixed together, at every cowash, wash or rollerset step.

So that's

Infusium + rusk smoother in the spray bottle for rollersetting/misting

Allsoft + realcontrol for cowash

Garnier fructis + cheapie moisture con for cowash

Dumb Blonde reconstructor + cheapie moisture con for cowash

Last edited:
Got this from BHM......

Here is a handy guide for understanding the different types of protein products.

All proteins are strengthening proteins to some degree but here are the more specific characteristics of these proteins:

Collagen Protein--known for increasing elasticity in the hair

Silk Protein--known for softening the hair

Wheat Protein--a moisturizing and strengthening protein. known for increasing the hair's ability to maintain & receive moisture also.

Keratin Protein--responsible for keeping the hair strong and pliable. This is the strongest of the(hair product) proteins and is actually the one that hair is made from. This one re-structures hair that has been damaged or broken down by chemicals. It helps to replace the amino acid cysteine which is the main one lost during chemical processing. This is the heavy duty protein. If you see the following as an ingredient

*Vegetable protein -- Vegetable protein absorbs more easily into the hair shaft [than animal protein] and does not create build-up, leaves the hair very shiny, radiant, luxuriant, and healthy.

*Animal protein -- Animal protein breaks down into fatty acids, which coat the hair and create residual build-up.

Silk Amino Acids/Protein--Natural silk is the strongest, natural fiber known to mankind. Discovered in Japan and has been used for centuries in all kinds of products that require durability. Silk has a tiny molecule that can penetrate the entire hair shaft deeper than all other proteins without adding any weight leaving the hair feeling clean and non-greasy
Keratin protein More Indept:

*a) Keratin protein--this will re-structure and strengthen the hair cuticle (the outer layer only & the most important layer)

The keratin in some reconstructors should not leave your hair hard like the Aphogee Treatment for damaged hair (which contains hydrolyzed animal protein). This treatment hardens on your hair for a reason and is used with mild heat. A moisturizing conditioner is a must with this in order to soften like Keracare's humecto.

Reconstructors that contain keratin and other proteins are supposed to have enough moisture to soften the hair therefore leaving your hair with a nice protein/moisture balance."

* Hydrolyzed Keratin Protein or Keratin Amino Acids--this means that the Keratin molecules have been broken down and are small enough to go beyond the cuticle and penetrate the hair shaft. It will strengthen all 3 layers of the hair. That is why the term "deep conditioning" technically only refers to this kind of treatment using penetrating proteins.

*c) Hydrolyzed Human Hair Keratin--This is an exact match for the keratin your hair has (or has lot due to chemical processing). This is the highest quality and most potent keratin that can be used in hair products.

I discovered the same thing about my hair! Protein does it some good, only if I use it like every 2-6 weeks though...I can't use too much protein and my hair works wonders with some oil and water, lol....of course I would use the oil to seal the moisture in, that is. I can't do too much moisture either, or I'll begin to shed somewhat....I'll moisturize atleast every other day to every two days. Moisturizing everyday and sealing with oil everyday lead to too much build up on my hair...so I'm learning that less is more for me.

WOW 2 days. I hope you didn't damage it. I been through the coming out in clumps in shower. :wallbash: Try to incorporate a reconstructor everyweek. duotex and sallys knockoff/joico kpac is great. Try to slowly rebuild your hair. Use it full strength the first couple times then dilute it in another conditioner

I don't think I damaged it. Although it's only been about a week or so since I did it, my hair feels great. I started to buy the hardcore Aphogee but figured I'd use what I had and it seems to have done the trick. I mean I've tried it all...mixing reconstructor with conditioner, applying them one at a time and my hair would still break. I definitely plan to pay attention to my hair and base the frequency and duration of the Aphogee Keratin Reconstructor usage on what my hair tells me. But of course I've known for years that my hair loves protein, but here comes the product reviews and thinking I could replace x with y and be ok. I need to start sticking to what works. Not saying others aren't good (love Kpak poo with Aveda DR condish) but some things just shouldn't change! I used to love Ion Repair Solutions Hair Reconstructor Treatment .

Because of this thread i did a protein/moisture wash today.

Cowashed with a V05 Cheapie condish, put some Joico K-Pak Reconstructor on with a shower cap for about 15 minutes, rinsed out and applied AO Honeysuckle Rose.

I did a rollerset and im just gonna sleep in my rollers. I'll see if i have less breakage.

I think i'm gonna continue the protein/moisture thing at once on the SAME wash day and see how that helps.
Let us know how it works out for you:grin:

So what i got from reading this thread is that most of the ladies that use protein often have fine hair.

I have extremely coarse hair, when I used aphogee, the hard one, every two weeks, my became dry and broke off a lot.

From what I understand, fine hair has less cuticle layers, which may be why the fine haired ladies, need more protein..Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Gymfreak, where you at?:lol:
Good question. hmmmm I wonder if this just for fine hair ladies. Maybe someone can help. Ok question for you. You use aphogee every 2 weeks? My hair would probably break off too if I used it that much. I think the hardcore is made for one time every 6-8 weeks. I actually had a protein overload on aphoghee.:wallbash:

Back