Mixing oil with deep conditioners?

rainbowknots

Does anyone do this? Sunday, I had to mix up some stuff for my weekly deep conditioner because I was almost completely out of my Sitrinillah. I took the little bit of Sitrinillah i had left, added Vatika frosting, 24/7 Moist conditioner, a couple of drops of jojoba oil and peppermint oil. It had kind of a runny consistency though...anyway I slathered that on my head and sat under my mastex for 1 hour. the oil started running down my face and neck and stuff but once i rinsed the mix out my hair felt really soft. It had a bit of an oily feel to it, but it's so shiny and soft! Anyway, I think I want to continue mixing in oils with my dc...anyone else doing this?

~NanCeBoTwin~

Yes, I do this often. Not every DC but when I feel like my hair may need a little extra kick, I've added coconut oil, jojoba oil and rosemary e.o...

Teja

I do this almost everytime, I use whatever DC and then after my hair is completley saturated, I use my spray bottle which has EVOO in it and spray it over my Dc hair!
Kind of like sealing it !!!!!Works great for me!

rainbowknots

I'm gonna skip my daily moisturizing tonight and see how my hair feels tomorrow...If it isn't dry, this might be a breakthrough for me, maybe I can start moisturizing every other day versus every single day...

MummysGirl

I do this all the time... my DC is mixed with coconut oil and peppermint oil everytime and I have started using EVOO as well. My hair loves it!

LaidBak

I do this every time, with every conditioner. I put the conditioner on first, then EVOO over it. I use a hair color applicator bottle for the oil because its less messy. I use the tip to get the oil where I want it. Apply a little, massage it in, apply a little more, massage it in, etc. Doing it that way let's me know when I've reached the saturation point and I can catch it before it starts running down my face. Add 20-30 minutes of heat and voila! Super soft, shiny, hair with slip and no breakage.

blaqphoenix, Because its winter (dry air) and I wear hats every day (military uniform) I still have to moisturize daily. Especially my ends. For me the shine wears off but the softness does not.

Last edited:

LivingDoll

I do this almost everytime, I use whatever DC and then after my hair is completley saturated, I use my spray bottle which has EVOO in it and spray it over my Dc hair!
Kind of like sealing it !!!!!Works great for me!

I do the same thing except I use EVOO/Castor Oil...I have it in a pump bottle (I use it to remove makeup as well)...I just take a few pumps and rub it on top of the DC as a sealant. :yep:

Maracujá

November 2020 --> 14 years natural!!!
Yes, I mixed my Elasta QP conditioner with Wheat germ oil, I didn't find it strengthening enough, that's why.

wannabelong

I started doing this and I love it so much that I decided to an oil every time I DC. I rotate between, avacado, grapeseed and sweet almond oil. My DD's and my hair turns out so soft and moisturized.

Angelicus

I add oil to my conditioners all of the time. It makes my hair so soft. Sometimes I really don't need a leave-in conditioner after rinsing the mixture out of my hair.

BostonMaria

I stopped buying deep conditioners a while back because I like to mix my oils and butters with my Suave condtioner or with my Lustrasilk mango & shea butter. I don't really measure, just grab everything around me - grapeseed oil, sweet almond oil, sheabutter, avocado butter, jojoba oil, castor oil, coconut oil.... I find that my hair responds better to this type of deep conditioner rather than buying online or something expensive at the store. I bought my oils in Jan and its now mid April and I still have tons left.

*Muffin*

I like adding oils to my DC's as well. If it's a heavy conditioner I'll use a light oil (ex. jojoba oil, safflower oil, grapeseed oil). If it's a lighter conditioner heavier oils can be used (coconut, avocado, etc...). But that's just what I do. Some may have no problem adding lots of oils in their DC's whether they are heavy or not.

deusa80

Yep, I add evoo, avocado oil and a little castor oil(as well as honey) to my DC's..my hair feels so much softer when I do this.

rainbowknots

Cool, I really loved my results so I'm gonna continue to do this as well. What's a good site to buy oils online? I'm currently overseas so I've been purchasing all of my hair products online. I have access to jojoba oil, peppermint oil, at our BX but I would have to purchase any other oils online...

I skipped my daily moisturizing last night to see what my hair would feel like and it's not too bad. I don't think I'll do this all the time though, better safe than sorry.

Vonnieluvs08

I love adding oils to my DC. My staple additives are my EOs, tea tree oil, vitamin E oil, and some neem oil. The other oils (grapeseed, jojoba, castor, coconut) I've been experimenting with to see the results and know when I need to add them depending on how my hair is acting. My latest mix with grapeseed and jojoba oils in addition to my staples had my hair feeling extra soft and managable.

LaidBak

Cool, I really loved my results so I'm gonna continue to do this as well. What's a good site to buy oils online? I'm currently overseas so I've been purchasing all of my hair products online. I have access to jojoba oil, peppermint oil, at our BX but I would have to purchase any other oils online...

I skipped my daily moisturizing last night to see what my hair would feel like and it's not too bad. I don't think I'll do this all the time though, better safe than sorry.

Most AAFES complexes have a GNC. That's where I get my oils from. Do you have one where you are? If not I've ordered from Texas Beauty Supply before while overseas. They have some oils as well.

Essensual

I add oils to each DC. I have a rotation as well to choose from (olive, castor,jojoba,amla,grapeseed). If I don't add oils to the actual DC, then I will do an oil rinse after the DC. My DDs hair (10) loooooooves olive oil & castor oil. My hair loves castor, jojoba, amla & grapeseed. When it's really dry--definitely olive.

ETA: HOW COULD I POSSIBLY FORGET MY ABSOLUTE FAVORITE: COCONUT OIL!!!!

Last edited:

Stella B.

I always add coconut oil to my deep conditioning mix. Not much, about a 1/2 tsp stirred in to help the conditioner absorb into the hair strands.. I love coconut oil, I find myself using it daily on my hair!

rainbowknots

Most AAFES complexes have a GNC. That's where I get my oils from. Do you have one where you are? If not I've ordered from Texas Beauty Supply before while overseas. They have some oils as well.
Yeah we have a GNC at our BX. They have jojoba, peppermint, I think I saw tea tree oil in there too, I would love to try avocado and this grapeseed oil i see mentioned so I'll have to order off line...thanks