Anyone mix castor oil and deep condioner?

Lilmama1011

Does your hair come out softer than using one of these products alone. I usually use my castor oil for sealing but thinking bout stopping sealing and strictly doing moisture because it makes no since to if I moisturize after sealing when it doesn't penetrate anymore so thinking of mixing it with my Aubrey organics rosa mosqueta for my deep conditioning process to use it up. So does anyone already mix their conditioner and castor oil and love it?

Yes, hair is much more softer and feels like butter and good after rinse. I use it with AOHS I mixed about a quarter to half the pharmacy castor oil with it.

AlwaysNatural said:
Yes, hair is much more softer and feels like butter and good after rinse. I use it with AOHS

Do you put the conditioner on first and then the oil? Or vise versa?

Yup. My hair loves castor oil in DCers. I pour it in my hand and finger mix with the conditioner usually. Or I'll add it straight to the jar/bottle of DCer and stir with the end of a rattail comb and then shake it for good measure. I don't seal with it anymore because it's kinda sticky. It's great for scalp massages though. Helped me thicken up my edges and crown

Subbing - this is great timing OP, I've read so many good things about adding castor oil to your DC that I already decided to try it today - will post back later with a review.

claud-uk said:
Subbing - this is great timing OP, I've read so many good things about adding castor oil to your DC that I already decided to try it today - will post back later with a review.

That would be a great help thanks so much!

Lilmama1011 said:
Do you put the conditioner on first and then the oil? Or vise versa?

I put the d-conditioner on and then the castor oil. However I just mixed them together recently regardless but still coat my hair with castor oil on top just because.

I hadn't thought to do this but I'm going to try it today with a protein treatment I'm giving myself. I'll report back once I am finished.

YUP! I use castor oil to a regular conditioner to make it more of a 'deep conditioner'. I think there's a castor oil challenge on the board somewhere, Lilmama1011 you should check it out. My hair always feels so soft and happy after a castor oil + conditioner treatment. :)

Yep. I'm sitting here with my "Sunday Special" on my head right now :grin::

Neutrogena Triple Moisture
AOWC
1 tsp coconut oil
1 tsp castor oil
1 tsp olive oil

It sounds like a lot of oil, but it's really not. I whip it up in a bowl with the conditioners, saturate my hair with it, and put on a conditioner cap and sit under the dryer for about 15-20 minutes.

When I rinse, my hair is soft as butter. :infatuated:

I twist it up, and I'm able to wear a twist out until the next Friday, and it stays moisturized!!! :yep:

Southern Belle said:

Neutrogena Triple Moisture
AOWC
1 tsp coconut oil
1 tsp castor oil
1 tsp olive oil

It sounds like a lot of oil, but it's really not. I whip it up in a bowl with the conditioners, saturate my hair with it, and put on a conditioner cap and sit under the dryer for about 15-20 minutes.

When I rinse, my hair is soft as butter. :infatuated:

I twist it up, and I'm able to wear a twist out until the next Friday, and it stays moisturized!!! :yep:

It stays moisturized for five days?

:lachen:

Lilmama1011

1) So I did my usual routine of WGO + Sunflower oil overnight pre-poo.

2) Next morning I rinsed, but then added a new step: Aloe Vera Moisturizing Cholesterol which I left on for 1 hour under saran and heating cap.

3) Rinsed AVMC very quickly with very warm water (to keep cuticles raised) then used Mirpur Soy Protein Cholesterol. Back under heating cap for 10 mins.

4) Rinsed MSPC then applied equal amounts of Queen Helene Cholesterol + CON AO Con + Castor Oil. Would like to have added more castor oil bc the mixture was very thick, but didn't want to overdo in case of over-greaziness or problems rinsing etc.

5) DC + Castor Oil mix on overnight, rinsed this lunch time.

I ought to be fair and say that doing a moisturizing tx before my protein tx was something new to my regular routine, and perhaps I should not have done this in order to create a fair comparison between regular my DC results and the results of adding Castor Oil.

However I have to say that I Like The Results :yep: My hair feels quite different - it's definitely wiry and strong feeling as usual but there's a heaviness there too, which it never had before. Running my hands over freshly rinsed hair and then rubbing them together felt more squeaky than greasy, so no oily residue left. Downside of that is there is no more sheen/shine than usual like some other oils might add (my hair is naturally quite dull so any would really show). I think it's safe to add a higher ratio of Castor oil than the 1/1 I used.

The real difference is in how my hair responded to adding my leave-in (Keracare Natural Textures LI and some glycerine). Normally when I M&S after a DC, my hair is soft but quite lightweight and apt to dry fairly quickly by itself before I can get round to M&S all four sections. Today I felt like I had all the time in the world - not only that, but the amount that I prepared for the first section alone was more than enough to do my whole head!!! I needed only a fingertip of oil to seal each section, unlike the 2 squirts it usually takes. It felt like the my M&S mix was complementing what I had just done to my hair, rather than replacing what had been washed away during those processes.

I'm very excited, I have my hair drying under my scarf as usual and I will see how it is looks/feels fully dried come bedtime regi compared to usual. Normally after fully drying my hair feels soft and wispy and I have to do another M&S at night with shea butter to get it feeling 'right'.

Today I did an M&S using Keracare Natural Textures Leave In + glycerine + AVG, sealed with castor oil + shea butter mixed. Hair feels great after using castor oil in my DC, still soft and heavy but not at all oily.

Using castor oil in my DC and also to seal is my new regi!

Before I started using AO, I used to always add castor oil to my conditioner for my DCs. I can use AO without mixing, so I do that more often now. I still use castor oil in my spritz, and sometimes I seal with it.

Sent from my HTC Evo

I usually mix castor oil and/or avocado oil in my deep conditioners. It makes my hair feel fantastic when I rinse it out. I also use it in my Amla treatments.

I don't DC anymore because I found that I really didn't need it due to my method of keeping my hair moisturized.

I mix my Cantu Shea Butter Leave-in Repair Cream (1 cup) with cold pressed EVOO (2 tbsp) and honey (1tbsp) and whip it together until it looks like custard and use this when twisting my hair and it stays moisturized and VERY soft and does not leave a greasy feel.

I have not really used anything else in my hair and I like this because it is EXTREMELY simple.

Last edited:
@BostonMaria - do you mind sharing your Amla tx info? What is it, what does it do and how often do you do it? Thankyouthankyou!

claud-uk yes of course! I buy my Amla locally if I can find it. Its getting harder and harder to find in my area. You Boston ladies need to stay away from my stash in Cambridge!

Anyway... :lol: ... AyurNatural Beauty is my favorite place to buy Amla and her shop is African American owned http://www.ayurnaturalbeauty.com/ delivery is great. I mix castor oil, coconut oil, avocado oil (about 1/8 of a cup) in a bowl and add one box of Amla powder (keep in mind my hair is waist length) and 1 can of Coconut Milk and add water until it becomes a thick mud-like paste. I will sometimes add about 1/2 cup of conditioner for slip since the mud is sometimes hard to apply to my hair.

I shampoo my hair first (right now I like Beautiful Tresses Shampoo) and apply conditioner and detangle. Then I part my hair in 4 sections and apply the amla mix all over my hair with my hands. I put on a plastic cap and leave this on my hair for an hour. I rinse it out, apply some more conditioner, and style as usual.

I try to do this every 6 weeks or when my hair feels like it needs moisture.

AyurNatural Beauty is my favorite place to buy Amla and her shop is African American owned http://www.ayurnaturalbeauty.com/ delivery is great. I mix castor oil, coconut oil, avocado oil (about 1/8 of a cup) in a bowl and add one box of Amla powder (keep in mind my hair is waist length) and 1 can of Coconut Milk and add water until it becomes a thick mud-like paste. I will sometimes add about 1/2 cup of conditioner for slip since the mud is sometimes hard to apply to my hair.

I shampoo my hair first (right now I like Beautiful Tresses Shampoo) and apply conditioner and detangle. Then I part my hair in 4 sections and apply the amla mix all over my hair with my hands. I put on a plastic cap and leave this on my hair for an hour. I rinse it out, apply some more conditioner, and style as usual.

I try to do this every 6 weeks or when my hair feels like it needs moisture.

OMG, this sounds SO :lick:!

I do!! I use the Now brand of castor oil. I mix it in my deep conditioner. I also add it to my prepoo and sealing mixes too

Back