Mini Braid Challenge- Summer 2012

manter26 lol that's funny my edges are super easy to lay down but their not full either tryna get them there. The braids are helping me to baby them and not pull on them too tight but thanx.

Nice! I'm kinda jealous of those edges.

Your braids remind me of my sister's hair. Did you have them in cornrows to get the waves? Very nice.

Nope only but in about 10 braids in over the weekend while I was studying. I hate that my natural hair looks so much thinner with these braids but they're soooo easy with my schedule. I'll try to get my friend to braid the middle smaller next time and to do the brick layer pattern. But I keep them up 95% of the time anyways.

Oh did I mention that I'll try to keep them in for 5-6 weeks this time?
THANKS FOR THE COMPLIMENT!!!

manter26 said:
:yep:

Rufigirl

Make sure you are moisturizing and sealing or cowashing often. Tighter textures, especially, need a lot of moisture. For my niece (4b/4c) hair I spray with an aloe vera & water mix then coat with Kinky Kurly Knot Today. If you don't have that there, any softening leave in will do.

Honestly, I've never experienced any matting or knotting on my hair or on anyone else's hair. This is my nieces 4b/c hair after almost 4 weeks of braids. I took it out with no product it came undone with no problem. I actually tried to loc my hair and after 3 months of being extra careful- no conditioning, etc- it still came undone when it got wet.

taking them out

putting them in/texture shot (a little stretched here)-shrinks to 1 or 2"

If you run into problems while undoing, spray the tangled area with a conditioner water mix or an oil mix for some slip.

I have the same pajama pants!! ( I think those r pajama pants, lol)

Checking in: Still in braids... I haven't needed to touch them up or anything like that, washed once since putting them in. Wearing a scarf at night helps maintain them very well w/ hardly no frizz. Here's some pics:grin:

Attachments

• IMAG1097.jpg
    IMAG1097.jpg
    492.2 KB · Views: 69
  • IMAG1099.jpg
    IMAG1099.jpg
    458.1 KB · Views: 81
I braided my hair yesterday. I want to keep it for 6weeks then redo them one at a time, I hope I can stick to this for a few months. I have just 2inches and it doesn't look good enough to wear out but I am always in scarves so that doesn't matter. I am a bit more relaxed about my hair now. I know I am a slow grower so I am not constantly looking for growth aids. I know which products work better, all it takes for length to accrue is time.

Guess I need to venture over here more often. I saw @ manter26 's siggy link and put mini braids in about one month ago. They are holding up pretty well under frequent cowashing. I dusted the ends of each braid. Couple of weeks ago. I have no idea when I'll take them out but I think I may redo the first two or three perimeter rows. Keep up the good work ladies! I'll lurk and cheer from the sidelines.

I'm planning to cowash this weekend. I've been "hiking" for my daily workouts. My neighborhood has some pretty steep hills so it feels like I'm actually out on a hike LoL. I put my braids up in a ponytail most of the time. I've been moisturizing daily and I seal with my Crisco mix every other day. I have started using Sunny Isle Jamaican Organic Pimento Oil on my edges and scalp. I am hoping it will boost my growth. If not, it def has kept me from having itchy scalp! That's all for my update for now.

Ended up cowashing last night. I wrapped my hair in a microfiber turban and went to bed.

washedbraids.jpg

washedbraids2.jpg

The summertime is the only time I don't wear mini-braids! I rock my afro puffs, jumbo twists, frohawks, etc... Yep, for about 3 mos out of the year I take my hair down and play with it. (In my avatar are my mini-braids curled tightly).

It's braided for the rest of the year out and under wigs. So I'll join you ladies in the fall!!!!

Anyone BSL+ and wear minis? I'm curious to see how it looks like on long hair. Also, I'm trying to figure out how long it would take to braid them on my hair. I have very thick/dense 4a hair, and the mini twist style looks like an excellent protective style for my transitioning hair that I could potentially wear all year round with some breaks. However, I'm not really interested in spending 8+ hours braiding it unless the end result looks spectacular. :ohwell:

Last edited:
Hey ladies. I got the front of my hair redone yesterday. I had her put in an extra couple of rows of mini braids so the cornrowed section is smaller. She also rebraided some in my nape that had unraveled.

I think I'm going to keep the front cornrowed until my hair is longer. It gives me a "do" feel & I don't have to curl my braids to feel like I have a hairstyle. Still in love with my minis. This is too easy.

manter26 Thanks for the tip on the scalp cleansing product!

Thursday will be week 7 for me. I'm leaning towards taking mine out at week 8. Maybe this will pass but I miss my fro. It's weird going out without my hair all over the place. I feel plainer...if that makes sense. I like smacking people in the face with my hair and I have to get too close to whip them with my braids. :look: :lol: Anyway, I feel like the moment I undo them I'll be overwhelmed with the amount of hair on my head and immediately regret it. I'll just have to wait and see...

Checking in. I haven't had m hair in my minis since the 6th of this month. I wanted to redo them but ended up starting a new job and have been working 13 hrs or more daily since the 9th. So I'm exhausted. But I'm off this evening and tomorrow so hopefully I can get to this mane if I don't pass out and not wake up until it's time for me to come back to work Thursday loL!

Congrats on the new job NaeChail.
I just used QH Cholesterol on my minis as a moisturizer! My hair is really soft, I plan to CW tomorrow with HE LTR

Ok I did NOT get to do my hair because I really just slept through my off time. Anyone in this challenge work 12 hr days?? How are you braiding so that if you aren't finished you're not headed to work looking crazy??

NaeChail said:
Ok I did NOT get to do my hair because I really just slept through my off time. Anyone in this challenge work 12 hr days?? How are you braiding so that if you aren't finished you're not headed to work looking crazy??

I work 12 hour day and though I'm not in the challenge I would make a thick u-part in the front and braid that area plus all around the perimeter first. If your not finished just put it back in a ponytail or bun.

I work 12 hour day and though I'm not in the challenge I would make a thick u-part in the front and braid that area plus all around the perimeter first. If your not finished just put it back in a ponytail or bun.

Thank you! Today is a short day for me (9.5 hrs) so when I get home I am going to try this and see how far I get.

One more question...(for now lol), is anyone blowdrying prior to installing instead of airdrying?? I really don't want to use heat but I'm beginning to think because of my schedule constraints I may have to...

One more question...(for now lol), is anyone blowdrying prior to installing instead of airdrying?? I really don't want to use heat but I'm beginning to think because of my schedule constraints I may have to...

NaeChail
I don't use heat. I put my hair in twists & then wrap them around my head (bobbypinned to secure) to stretch them while they dry.

So I ended up doing mini's in the back and cornrowing the front for now. It's cute though. But I do plan on finishing this set. The crazy weather has my hair EXTRA dry so I'm going to be baggying this set and paying LOTS of attention to my ends so that I'm retaining length.

I just finished doing my sister's hair. I'll use her for tuts on my blog.

I'm working on taking out my mini braids.

IMG_7043-e1342998792620-204x300.jpg

Here's a pic of what it looks like. No build-up, normal shedding, no breakage. I wrote a full post about it here.

I have no goal date to have these out. I'll wear wigs or scarves in the meantime. I do want to have some still in on the 27th so I can do the final measurement at week 8.

manter26 said:
I just finished doing my sister's hair. I'll use her for tuts on my blog.

I'm working on taking out my mini braids.

Here's a pic of what it looks like. No build-up, normal shedding, no breakage. I wrote a full post about it here.

I have no goal date to have these out. I'll wear wigs or scarves in the meantime. I do want to have some still in on the 27th so I can do the final measurement at week 8.

If you dont mind sharing, Whats your detangling mix??

If you dont mind sharing, Whats your detangling mix??

It was Skala conditioner :look: and water. I liked the way it kept a creamy consistency even when diluted. I'm all out of my bandwagon stash so I added some Aussie Moist and more water. I'm cutting out cones eventually so I'm trying to use up the old stash of cheapie conditioners.

Back