Mini Braid Challenge- Summer 2012

nakialovesshoes

I started taking out my braids around 8 this evening. I still have a small section in the crown left but I'm tired. Whew, this takedown is a process. I'm going to henna & DC tomorrow & get my hair done on Thursday. After this do is old, I'm really thinking about braiding my hair myself this time. I think I can...

manter26

I've had these in for about 4 weeks. I'll keep them in for at least 4 more. I have anywhere from 1/4" to 1/2" of growth. More details here.

Last edited:

lamaria211

Ive been in mine since june 6th I think was planing on doing them again in another 2 weeks they're really fuzzy ill do a better job next time with making them nice and tight.

TopShelf

Sewing & Growing Gamma Gal
Washed this morning with Trader Joe's tea tree shampoo, then used the Giovanni smooth as silk xtreme protein treatment, washed that out and deep conditioned with the Beautiful textures rapid repair deep conditioner...washed that out and rinsed with tea tree oil, acv and cool water. Oiled my scalp with nature's blessing grease and added some castor oil. used the qhemet amla and oilve heavy cream to moisturize and sealed with oilve and honey hydrating balm

I didnt' use steam but I may wash again on wed and deep condition with steam

manter26

I'll post these here too. My July 4th hairstyle. Flat twisted bangs and side ponytail (using a banana clip). My loose hair doesn't fit into a regular banana clip so I'm glad I get to use them on my braids. I'm still editing pics for a blog post on this style but iphone pics will have to do for now....

Today is the last day for my ebook giveaway- detailed on the blog: theminibraidmethod.blogspot.com

Guinan

Re-Branding
I took my minis out. I had some new growth but lots of shedding. I plan on putting the minis back in around Oct/Nov.

yorkpatties

Finally finished my minis Friday afternoon after work. Wore a Panama hat out in the evening to hide them because some were stretched more than others since the middle section had just been completed.

After a day at the beach and cowashing with Aussie Moist, shrinkage set in and they all appeared even. Once out of the shower I apply Kinky Curly Perfectly Polished Nourishing Hair Oil and I am good to go. Invested in a few Sue Maesta headbands and these mini braids are my new favorite hairstyle this summer. Glad to have some time off from work so I won't be rocking my (work) wig for a little while.

lamaria211

My dh left me up so I decided to coconut oil my minis. Im so amazed with my newgrowth. Thanks so much manter26 it may seem trivial to some but these minis totally saved me (my hair) :)

nakialovesshoes

I couldn't let go of the minis so I got half minis, half cornrows last Thursday. The cornrows are already fuzzy as heck but I'm going to get them redone next week. The minis are so small that I don't know when I'll feel like taking them out. I know I'm going to keep them for at least a month.

I'm sooo enjoying my hair now!

lamaria211

manter26 said:
How long were they in? Braids trap shed hair so there's usually a ton caught in them during take down. Shed hair is normal, breakage is not.

About 5weeks it was like 2 golf balls in size:( I saw a lot of white bulbs

nakialovesshoes

Thanks cause I thought I was gonna be bald but my hair is really thick

lamaria211
I think the more hair you have (density), the more you'll shed. I, too, have alot of hair but surprisingly I didn't lose alot when I took mine down. However, I only had mine in a few days shy of 3 weeks. I also take Fo-ti root daily. Supposedly it can lengthen your growth cycle (as well as slow down the graying process) so I'm thinking that it might be helping with my shed hairs. Just a thought...

lamaria211

nakialovesshoes said:
lamaria211
I think the more hair you have (density), the more you'll shed. I, too, have alot of hair but surprisingly I didn't lose alot when I took mine down. However, I only had mine in a few days shy of 3 weeks. I also take Fo-ti root daily. Supposedly it can lengthen your growth cycle (as well as slow down the graying process) so I'm thinking that it might be helping with my shed hairs. Just a thought...

Im not someone who looses 100 strands a day maybe 5 on a bad day so to see all that hair was scarey to me. But I am still suffereing thru a lil PP shedding still so im guessing that had alot to do with it. I may have to open my Alter Ego Garlic Treatment. Now I,feel like I have to grow all that hair back

nakialovesshoes

Hey ladies. Just wanted to share that I have been using the JBCO Hair Food Pomade to seal & it works very well. I'm hoping that the JBCO in it will help my ends remain thick/full.

manter26

I'm still trying to figure out how to make some changes to my new website but I've finally posted my update pics from my 5th week- July 5th.

I'm going to use a sulphur mix this month and see if I get more growth than I had over the past 4 weeks. Right now I can stick my finger through the base of most of my braids.

Mjon912

Hi ladies...I've been lurking this thread and y'all inspired my to try braids on my relaxed hair...I plan on keeping them in for 2 weeks but I was wondering how you wash your hair in your braids... Normally I prepoo, shampoo, condition and deep condition but can I do this on braids? Thanks so much in advance...HHG

manter26

Hi ladies...I've been lurking this thread and y'all inspired my to try braids on my relaxed hair...I plan on keeping them in for 2 weeks but I was wondering how you wash your hair in your braids... Normally I prepoo, shampoo, condition and deep condition but can I do this on braids? Thanks so much in advance...HHG

Mjon912
I just cowash normally and make sure I don't disturb the directions of the braids. I always smooth product and squeeze in a downward direction. I try not to disturb my roots either. I gently massage the roots to get them clean.

Since your hair is relaxed and will probably unravel, try tying the ends of them together with a hair tie. Group the mini braids into 4 or more sections, secured at the ends and don't undo it until it's dry.

Or you can just skip what you usually do and just use a daily moisturizer/leave in. I don't think you'll have a problem not washing & dc'ing since it's only 2 weeks.