Mineral Oil/Lanolin/Parrafin question

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
Hi everyone! I've been reading ingredients on the hair items that has been recommended to me via the lovely helpful women of this site. I was told by someone not to get products that contain Mineral Oil, Lanolin, or Parrafin. It seems that those (or any combo of them) are in just about everything- even in products that are recommended* by some people on here. I also saw that we shouldn't use the item if those ingredients are in the top 5 ingredients. Could you please give me your take on this?

Could you tell me why we are avoiding these ingredients?

*ORS Olive Oil has Mineral Oil in the top 5 ingredients, but because it was recommended, I bought it. I haven't had any problems as of yet.

InnerSoul

if the product works go for it. I used to avoid those ingredients but not so much anymore! My main products such as nexxus has that on the ingredient list and its working wonders on my hair. I had read somewhere to avoid mineral oil b/c it supposedly keeps the moisture out of your hair or it keeps the moisture from getting in to the core of your strands, however when its mixed with other yummy ingredients my hair adapts and loves it.

Last edited:

♦K.O♦

Mineral oil on the scalp is bad, but mineral oil on the hair is not (assuming you wash and moisturize regularly). Some of my tried and true favorites have mineral oil (Keracare Humecto, Keracare jojoba Oil Moisturizer, LeKair Cholesterol, EQP Glaze... ) It really depends on your preference and what your hair "likes."

Another example: My hair doesnt mind SLES and would act up if I didnt use shampoo.

MizzBrown

I heard Mineral oil doesn't really moisturize, it just lays on top of your skin/scalp and acts as a barrier. If you look at most lotions and body oils like Johnson & Johnsons baby oil gel which is straight mineral oil, or vaseline petroleum, its used as a barrier against diaper rash, or just coats the skin like a barrier....That's what i heard.

It's hard to avoid it but since joining this site i have taken the extra 10-15 minutes reading product labels to avoid it as much as possible. It makes sense money-wise since all the natural or close to natural products cost a whole lot more than products with mineral oil, lanolin, and parrafin that are considered "cheap fillers/preservatives".

Just paid $9 for a 98% natural shampoo. I could've gotten another with cones and mineral oil for $2.99.

Empress Yahudah

Mineral Oil/Lanolin/Parrafin/Petroleum have a high molecular weight and can clog ur pores on ur scalp slowing hair growth. It also acts as a barrier preventing moisture from penetrating the hair shaft.

Ive noticed for me that MY hair doesnt like them when it comes to moisturizers,leave-ins, or deep conditioners....it ends up feeling dry and crunchy after awhile and my need to clarify increases :perplexed. But my hair doesnt mind it if its in something I pre-poo with ..I guess cuz im washing it out right after an hour.

But some ladies hair dont mind them at all so i would say use what ur hair likes :yep: and see how ur hair responds to it after a few weeks. Just like u have some people who's hair doesnt like cones.. My hair likes em.