What Ingredients to Avoid

tsvelte

I'm going through my shampoos, conditioners, moisterizers, styling balms, setting lotions, and oils this weekend. I have so many products that its time to clean house and only keep those that will actually be kind to my hair.

What ingredients do I absolutely want to avoid in hair products? Mineral oil, petroleum, lanolin, alcohols, etc.?

Do you want to avoid certain products because you have experienced damage, breakage, etc or just want to use more natural products?.

You 1st have to determine how your hair reacts to certain products, what may have damaging effects for one person may very well work for another. But if your going with the typical ingredients to avoid, your on the track and you can add Sulfate (SLS) to your list which is found in mostly all shampoo's, soaps, lotions, etc.

Thanks for the replies. I've found a wealth of information on these boards.

Yes, I'm looking for typical ingredients to avoid. I know pertroleum is drying and avoid it at all costs. I've had breakage in the past, but it's was due to overprocessing. I'm on a mission this year to grow longer healthier hair, building a new home regimen, and finding a new hairstylist who is not scissor happy when it comes to trims.

I'm throwing out products which haven't been nice to my hair as well as those with suspect ingredients. Also buying new products.

Good question. I want to know too? What is so bad about silicones? They coat the hair?!?!? I heard that some alcohols are "good".

Back