MHM Hangout

Honey Bee

I've been doing the 30 minutes max like you suggested for steps 1 & 3 and I do like the results because they are the same as leaving it on longer. I guess I'm bothered that they were very firm with the BS recipes and time but now its like, oh we were wrong. I'll probably discontinue the BS until I find more evidence of its continued use over time. In the meantime, I need to find a safe and noncontroversial clarify recipe...maybe doing only ACV for now.

Sent from my SM-N900V using LHCF
I didn't get "very firm" from them. How can a non-scientist be "very firm" about your hair? :lol:

Pinke Cube shared her own personal regimen that she'd put together based on various natural hair resources (including Aketafitgirl who she mentioned by name, so no shadiness there). MsDeeKay was just one of the first to follow her lead. There's been rousing debate on the potential merits of BS. It's all over youtube, the blogs, other forums.

From your post, I get the impression that you feel tricked in some way, but I can't figure out why. Everybody involved has been pretty clear from the beginning: we're ALL figuring this out as we go along.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
I still use shampoo somewhat regularly (using conditioner as a pre-poo), but I'm looking for other cleansing methods. I like the ACV but I'm very nervous about the BS, so I'm gathering the supplies now to try out some ayurvedic cleansing techniques. There's also a way to cleanse with AVJ, and another method with honey. I'll share what I find as I experiment.

I think my natural hair is normal porosity but I have no idea what my hair type is at this point. I thought the 'rules', such as they are :rolleyes: :lol:, meant that any kind of noticeable curl and/or coil was 4a-ish, but I'm seeing naturals all over the place with curls poppin', claiming 4c, so I don't know wth is going on anymore honestly. :lachen::look:

Don't even get me started on the hair typing thing, Lol. I'm so confused after seeing millions of yt videos, Pinterest photos. I honestly don't know what I have on my head so Im slowly giving up on that.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
I didn't get "very firm" from them. How can a non-scientist be "very firm" about your hair? :lol:

Pinke Cube shared her own personal regimen that she'd put together based on various natural hair resources (including Aketafitgirl who she mentioned by name, so no shadiness there). MsDeeKay was just one of the first to follow her lead. There's been rousing debate on the potential merits of BS. It's all over youtube, the blogs, other forums.

From your post, I get the impression that you feel tricked in some way, but I can't figure out why. Everybody involved has been pretty clear from the beginning: we're ALL figuring this out as we go along.

Tricked? I'm sorry you missed the intent of my post, that wasn't it at all so maybe that's why you can't figure it out. My Post's intent was to say that they don't know for sure themselves and are still figuring it all out as they go along and that I'll do more research for myself until they figure it out.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
I think saying to leave it on for 15-60 minutes is pretty definitive oppose to now saying "don't" leave it on more than 15 minutes. Also, it's said that alternating the two (ACV and BS) was optional but are they now saying its necessary? I am fully aware that these two ladies are not scientists but I thought the regimen instructions were written in stone seeing that its been around for years.

discodumpling

So happy to see you still doing your thing over here Faith! Thank you for this thread, it is full of enough info to keep me busy for awhile

After BCing again last April (Napptural circa April 2007) my hair has been thriving with WnG's. My conditioning game could use some MHM though :) my strands are always THIRSTY.

I was one of those girls that thought my hair had no discernible curl pattern...boy was I wrong! Now i'd like to learn to hydrate and push the curl factor so BIG THANKS again for putting this together.

[URL=http://s207.photobucket.com/user/Discodumpling/media/20150123_101944_zpsk5ittj8z.jpg.html][IMG]http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb36/Discodumpling/20150123_101944_zpsk5ittj8z.jpg[/URL][/IMG]

This is what it looks like while i'm rinsing with my rhassoul mix.

[URL=http://s207.photobucket.com/user/Discodumpling/media/20150123_101932_zps12lmda7n.jpg.html][IMG]http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb36/Discodumpling/20150123_101932_zps12lmda7n.jpg[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

Guinan

Re-Branding
I think with my income taxes I'm gonna treat myself to another silk lined hat and some goddess curls gel. I think I was try more products from that line too. My sister asked me if I put hair spray in my hair b/c it was so shiney; but the only styler that I used was the goddess curls gel and that was two days ago.

Guinan

Re-Branding
Don't even get me started on the hair typing thing, Lol. I'm so confused after seeing millions of yt videos, Pinterest photos. I honestly don't know what I have on my head so Im slowly giving up on that.

I get confused with this hair typing thing too. For me, I was "typing" my hair when it was wet instead of when it is dry. Since you just BC it might be difficult to clearly see you curl type.

faithVA

I think saying to leave it on for 15-60 minutes is pretty definitive oppose to now saying "don't" leave it on more than 15 minutes. Also, it's said that alternating the two (ACV and BS) was optional but are they now saying its necessary? I am fully aware that these two ladies are not scientists but I thought the regimen instructions were written in stone seeing that its been around for years.

I didn't understand your previous post about msdeekays post either. But with this information I can see where the disconnect is. This regimen isn't a year old and it hasn't been tried and tested. We are the first generation of people testing out this regimen. And in doing so we are discovering things and revealing things that neither aketafitgirl, pinkecube or msdeekay could have possibly have known with just three heads in the game. Regimens are like recipes. They give you a base and they may have to be adjusted for individual heads. Some people will find the regimen perfect as it was described and others will need to tweak.

All msdeekay is doing is sharing her findings after having talked with others trying to do the regimen and after having done the regimen for a period of time herself.

This regimen will be tweaked over the next few years based on what we did last year and will do this year.

Take the regimen as a guideline and use it to learn your hair and then tweak it as necessary.

faithVA

So happy to see you still doing your thing over here Faith! Thank you for this thread, it is full of enough info to keep me busy for awhile

After BCing again last April (Napptural circa April 2007) my hair has been thriving with WnG's. My conditioning game could use some MHM though :) my strands are always THIRSTY.

I was one of those girls that thought my hair had no discernible curl pattern...boy was I wrong! Now i'd like to learn to hydrate and push the curl factor so BIG THANKS again for putting this together.

You are welcome. I'm just glad its such an active thread. So I thank everyone in her for making thus thread possible. It would be sitting on page 57 if it wasn't for you.

atlien11

KiWiStyle

I am just as inquisitive as you are about using BS and the PH levels so Thank you for your posts and information regarding this topic.

I am not hair scientist but i do have an engineering degree and i remember my chem classes pretty well. I *think* that the intent of the BS is to slightly raise the cuticles but it shouldn't be left on for any long period of time. Me personally i apply the mixture of BS in my conditioner in the shower section by section. I let it sit as i work through the sections in the shower and THATS IT. No leaving on for longer periods (this process is long enough as it is right?) and then do a light rinse. This encourages the cuticle to stay "raised" so that the steaming/deep conditioning step is even more effective. Once you rinse the DC your water should start to neutralize the basic effects of BS (but not fully).

What i am stuck on is closing the cuticle back...I think adding VERY diluted ACV to the clay (if you are using it) or using a diluted spray bottle with ACV to keep your hair wet while applying the leave-in should encourage the cuticle to close back.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

atlien11

faithVA

Ok I am on second day hair today, and this is post incorporating the clay step and my hair feeling stange. Ive been eyeing a Q-redew for refreshes but wasn't sure i wanted to spend that much on a contraption. Especially since i just bought a professional salon dryer and steamer (i thought it would be overkill). I did however get creative and go to Bed/Bath/Beyond and bought a hand steamer. It was 19.99 and i had a 20% off coupon :grin:

Its not me being cheap. Its innovative..thats what i keep telling myself :look: Anywho it worked like a charm and my hair feels more normal. It felt ok yesterday but just a little stiff (maybe from the gel?). The steam def helped :yep:

faithVA

faithVA

KiWiStyle

I am just as inquisitive as you are about using BS and the PH levels so Thank you for your posts and information regarding this topic.

I am not hair scientist but i do have an engineering degree and i remember my chem classes pretty well. I *think* that the intent of the BS is to slightly raise the cuticles but it shouldn't be left on for any long period of time. Me personally i apply the mixture of BS in my conditioner in the shower section by section. I let it sit as i work through the sections in the shower and THATS IT. No leaving on for longer periods (this process is long enough as it is right?) and then do a light rinse. This encourages the cuticle to stay "raised" so that the steaming/deep conditioning step is even more effective. Once you rinse the DC your water should start to neutralize the basic effects of BS (but not fully).

What i am stuck on is closing the cuticle back...I think adding VERY diluted ACV to the clay (if you are using it) or using a diluted spray bottle with ACV to keep your hair wet while applying the leave-in should encourage the cuticle to close back.

Thoughts?

You know I always have thoughts :lol:

It depends on your porosity. I don't think high porosity ladies should use BS at all. And they probably could use ACV at the end of every wash cycle.

I think normal porosity could use it occasionally. Then I using ACV at the end could be helpful.

For low porosity, I think using BS or something with a ph between 8 and 9 is extremely helpful. However, since our cuticles really don't lift that much, I'm not sure we need the ACV at the end. If we did use it, it would have to be after the leave-in, otherwise our leave-in probably would just sit on our hair.

I've played around with using ACV and ph balancing my leave-ins and so far I don't see much of a difference. My cuticles just don't tend to stay open. I don't think it would hurt but someone with low porosity has to make sure they are using it near the end of the regimen. More than likely it is probably an unnecessary step. However, as each one learns their hair they will probably know when their cuticles are lifted and make the adjustment if needed.

If using a ph balanced gel I wouldn't do both. It just seems like an extra step.

faithVA

faithVA

Ok I am on second day hair today, and this is post incorporating the clay step and my hair feeling stange. Ive been eyeing a Q-redew for refreshes but wasn't sure i wanted to spend that much on a contraption. Especially since i just bought a professional salon dryer and steamer (i thought it would be overkill). I did however get creative and go to Bed/Bath/Beyond and bought a hand steamer. It was 19.99 and i had a 20% off coupon :grin:

Its not me being cheap. Its innovative..thats what i keep telling myself :look: Anywho it worked like a charm and my hair feels more normal. It felt ok yesterday but just a little stiff (maybe from the gel?). The steam def helped :yep:

Glad you worked it out. Nothing wrong with getting your steam on however you choose to do it :yep:

hairtimes5

For myself being a low porosity type 4 using something with a pH between 8 and 9 works good for step 1, otherwise I would get very little water into my strands even with heat. A pH of 7 does nothing for my hair since my cuticles remain tightly closed. I definitely avoid shampoo even sulfate free because they strip moisture from my hair which defeats the entire purpose of this regimen. No amount of condition will restore the moisture I lose through shampooing. I have proven that to myself over the past 4 years.

I think if shampoos and pH of 7 worked for most low porosity type 4s this regimen wouldn't even exist. The hair care world does not cater to our hair.

This. So I plan to use either bs or castille for step 1, but sparingly. Now I have to find something to use in between. I love how ACV makes my hair act and look but I seem to get more shedding when I use it. I'm washing today or tomorrow and I'm going to try heavily diluting the ACV.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
I get confused with this hair typing thing too. For me, I was "typing" my hair when it was wet instead of when it is dry. Since you just BC it might be difficult to clearly see you curl type.

You are so very right. My hair has made leaps and bounds since starting the method, I see coils and curls on freshly washed hair now but I know there is more to it and only time and diligence will tell.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
KiWiStyle

Thoughts?

You and I are on the exact same page. What's your hair's porosity, sorry if you mentioned it before?

From what I've learned, the DC step is the most crucial step in getting moisture in your hair and the leavein job is to keep the hair soft for a few days post wash.

My take away from all sources collectively is you are gradually closing the cuticle after th DC step. So if I'm cleaning my hair with a gentle cleanser with a pH of a max of 7, DC as usual with an approved product and then in step 3, the clay is clarifying, removing anything that step,1 may have missed but not really depleting moisture if I use the right clay and for the right amount of time. After that step 4 is to continue to close/smooth the cuticle (if using approved conditioner) if not, you can be using a more alkaline condish than you should be, keeping the cuticle rsised. Step 5 seals it all in.

I agree that ACV is unnecessary unless you have high porosity hair.

I've only been reading and researching for less than two months so my comprehension may not be that of someone who have been learning and practicing since inception or shortly thereafter the method. I'm really just being very vocal in hopes someone can shed some light to help me figure things out. Thank you faithVA for being so patient and understanding and insightful. You're a great host and you're doing a great job at being present and answering questions.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
faithVA in step 1, do you know if we're raising the cuticles to clarify properly or to prep to receive moisture or both?

msbettyboop

The conditioner I ordered for the DC step.

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

Attachments

• image-349403263.jpg
    image-349403263.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 25

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
I just bought the Curls Goddess curls too. I tried it today but I wasn't committed to it because I had to go to work. It actually did a pretty good job of not being snotty and defining my curls with out the jeri curl look. It didn't dry crunchy either. I'm going modified MHM tonight.

I keep seeing this but haven't read anyone's review on it. Let us know what you think after you do the modifier mhm tonight.

faithVA

You and I are on the exact same page. What's your hair's porosity, sorry if you mentioned it before?

From what I've learned, the DC step is the most crucial step in getting moisture in your hair and the leavein job is to keep the hair soft for a few days post wash.

My take away from all sources collectively is you are gradually closing the cuticle after th DC step. So if I'm cleaning my hair with a gentle cleanser with a pH of a max of 7, DC as usual with an approved product and then in step 3, the clay is clarifying, removing anything that step,1 may have missed but not really depleting moisture if I use the right clay and for the right amount of time. After that step 4 is to continue to close/smooth the cuticle (if using approved conditioner) if not, you can be using a more alkaline condish than you should be, keeping the cuticle rsised. Step 5 seals it all in.

I agree that ACV is unnecessary unless you have high porosity hair.

I've only been reading and researching for less than two months so my comprehension may not be that of someone who have been learning and practicing since inception or shortly thereafter the method. I'm really just being very vocal in hopes someone can shed some light to help me figure things out. Thank you faithVA for being so patient and understanding and insightful. You're a great host and you're doing a great job at being present and answering questions.

Sounds like you are moving right along and making good progress in 2 months. There is a lot to learn about hair in general and a lot to learn about your hair specifically. There are theories and then there is what really works for your hair. You will definitely find your way.

faithVA

[USER=323671 said:
KiWiStyle[/USER];21035985]faithVA in step 1, do you know if we're raising the cuticles to clarify properly or to prep to receive moisture or both?

In step 1 you are just clarifying to remove any product off the surface. You don't have to lift your cuticles in step 1. You can do it in step 2 by using heat, heating your conditioner or whatever other means you find that works.

faithVA

The conditioner I ordered for the DC step.

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

Please let us know how you like this. I want to find a new conditioner for step 1. I'm using curls ecstasy now but I won't repurchase that. And I want something less expensive than the jessicurl which I would prefer to use for step 2. My hair doesn't like the Tresemme.

faithVA

My wash took forever last night :sad: I didn't feel like putting in flat twist so I'm wearing a twist out today. I actually like it. My front is starting to hang. It's soft. Hopefully, it will last 3 days.

hairtimes5

I think with my income taxes I'm gonna treat myself to another silk lined hat and some goddess curls gel. I think I was try more products from that line too. My sister asked me if I put hair spray in my hair b/c it was so shiney; but the only styler that I used was the goddess curls gel and that was two days ago.

You got me really excited about trying the goddess curls. I bought some the other day and plan on using it next wash. Hope my results are as good as yours. I'll report back afterwards.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
In step 1 you are just clarifying to remove any product off the surface. You don't have to lift your cuticles in step 1. You can do it in step 2 by using heat, heating your conditioner or whatever other means you find that works.

This is what I concluded just wanted to be sure. I'm going to steam my conditioner each time then let it sit depending on the amount of time I have or my mood. I think right now, I can't possibly over condition my hair.

I bought and used TJ TTT as a CW but left it on overnight. My hair felt so good after I rinsed! I skipped step 3 and steamed my leave in for about 15 minutes. I let my cuticles close for about 10 minutes, sprayed/saturated hair with cool distilled(I decided to pour out the tap water and refill my water bottle with distilled) water on and sealed with KCCC. My hair definitely wasn't as white and foamy after applying and steaming my leave-in AND my hair was much, much softer after I rewet my hair and redistributed the leavein. I'm leaning that porosity and pH of products along with using non drying ingredients is key.