MHM Hangout

Btw what is everyone's favorite gel and/or styling cream since starting your MHM regimen.

Ive only tried KCCC and its pretty good.

i have been lurking/asking questions here for a few weeks. I have been doing this method for about two weeks now (every 2-3 days), and its actually pretty good. My hair is thriving. I had to do some research first regarding the use of Baking Soda and the clay ( I don't just follow things blindly) so that i know the science behind the steps.

I am sitting now with hairveda DC under my professional steamer. I went to Trader Joes to stock up on Tea Tree Condish (I was already a user and i Love this stuff). The only thing i haven't done is use the clay...Im finally going to try it tonight. Ive had some pretty awesome results so we will see how this goes..

More updates to come.

i have been lurking/asking questions here for a few weeks. I have been doing this method for about two weeks now (every 2-3 days), and its actually pretty good. My hair is thriving. I had to do some research first regarding the use of Baking Soda and the clay ( I don't just follow things blindly) so that i know the science behind the steps.

I am sitting now with hairveda DC under my professional steamer. I went to Trader Joes to stock up on Tea Tree Condish (I was already a user and i Love this stuff). The only thing i haven't done is use the clay...Im finally going to try it tonight. Ive had some pretty awesome results so we will see how this goes..

More updates to come.

What type of clay are you using?

The Shea Moisture curl enhancing smoothie and soufflé was a no go. For one, I didn't know its protein based and more importantly, after my hair dried and and trying to revive the next morning with water and a tiny amount of the soufflé gel, my hair felt horrible. It felt sticky and terribly coated so I returned it this morning and bought the Deva Curl Trial Kit. So far so good, I'm steaming in the one conditioner presently (has little slip) and will rinse and apply a little as leave in. I'm only using this line today so I can see how the kit works together. Sent from my SM-N900V using LHCF
I can't find and of the Shea Moisture products that really like my hair. Deva Curl is not my friend either. I'd like to know how it works for you.

I can't find and of the Shea Moisture products that really like my hair. Deva Curl is not my friend either. I'd like to know how it works for you.

I actually liked the products combined. My hair stayed moisturized for a longer time and it smelled amazing! My curl definition was good and i had nice shine. Admittingly, the one conditioner was OK for me and didn't seem to have much slip. Its good for a leave in in my opinion. I went to my parent's house where they smoke heavily and has the kitchen under construction...dust, dirt and smoke was everywhere and by the time I got home my hair stunk and my hair looked dry and dull. I'll try it again on another day to see if it its still the same at the end of the day. I should probably try a botanical refresher spray or the DC one. I was totaling in love the first few hours though.

Sent from my SM-N900V using LHCF

KiWiStyle. No I'm not. I used the last of it when I started this regimen. I only liked the Deva Curl One conditioner. I actually love it. I also love the Heaven in Hair but its pricey. I didn't care for the rest of the line. The gel may work once my hair is hydrated.

For now I'm sticking to approved products until my hair is hydrated but I may try it again in the future.

Thank you,faithVA. I want to buy the heaven in hair for DC when I get another 20% off ulta coupon. is there any ingredients in the one conditioner that is bad?

Thank you,faithVA. I want to buy the heaven in hair for DC when I get another 20% off ulta coupon. is there any ingredients in the one conditioner that is bad?

I really don't remember the ingredients to tell you what's bad. I'm pretty sure pinkecube said that line wasn't approved.

I like the heaven in hair but for the price I've found things just as good.

I have been reading Audrey Sivasothy's new book; Science of Transitioning and so far I have learned more about having a PH balanced regimen. We tend to use products without considering their PH values...she says its good to stay within a line because the products are designed to gradually decrease in PH value until you apply your styler. If we bounce from one to line to another in our regimen "without" testing the PH of each product we can be going for example from a PH of 8 to 5 to 7 to 3, oppose to 8,6,3... I'm sure the MHM took this into consideration when choosing approved products. So either I'll use approved products only, test my many products for PH before using them or just stick to one line. I for one am too lazy to test my products pH so I'll try to stick to the approved list and when I'm feeling bored, I'll pullout Deva Curl or AIA.

Btw what is everyone's favorite gel and/or styling cream since starting your MHM regimen.

Ive only tried KCCC and its pretty good.

I started out with flaxseed gel which I was liking until tried Hello Curly which I love. My hair is a bit dry by day 2 though so I'm starting to wonder about the aloe in the gel. I bought Curls goddess curls botanical gel to try next wash day. Not sure if it's MHM approved though.

I really don't remember the ingredients to tell you what's bad. I'm pretty sure pinkecube said that line wasn't approved.

I like the heaven in hair but for the price I've found things just as good.

Ok, I'll have to find that but I'm pretty sure it isn't approved.

Has anyone repeated the 7 day regimen? If yes, why and how soon after your initial 7 day stretch? Thanks!

Pics from yesterday's/this morning's routine:

image-3134485491.jpg

Since I'll be out of town on Friday, I won't be doing the routine again til Saturday morning.

I'm doing MHM as I transition. I intended to get the Komaza hair analysis when I finally bc (sometime in the spring) anyway, but it will be very helpful to have documentation of the effects of this regimen. :yep:

Has anyone used both the Curl Junkie Curl Rehab DC and the Jessiecurl DC? If so, which was better? I want to buy only one and want the best bang for my buck. They both have good reviews on Naturallycurly.com and they are both MHM approved. However, some people were sensitive to one of the ingredients in the Jessiecurl so I want to be sure.

Deep treatment is much better than too shea conditioner.

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

Let me clarify because I probably didn't in my original post. Pinkecube did give AketaFitGirl credit in her first few post. And she did modify it a bit. But about 95% of this method is AketaFitGirl's. However, I walked away from reading the BHM thread thinking that it was a big enough difference to attribute it to PinkeCube versus AketaFitGirl. It may not have been PinkeCube's intention for people to attribute it to her but that's how it ended up.

Yeah AketaFitGirl is the originator of the method. I tried her way of clarifying with BS today. (1 cup of hot water + 1 tbsp. of baking soda in a spray bottle) and my hair seems to be cleaner when doing this. You only need to leave it on 2-5 minutes instead of 30 like when using conditioner, and it saves on conditioner. Also I didn't get any white balls from the conditioner reacting with my old wash and go. Y'all should try her method of clarifying

Yeah AketaFitGirl is the originator of the method. I tried her way of clarifying with BS today. (1 cup of hot water + 1 tbsp. of baking soda in a spray bottle) and my hair seems to be cleaner when doing this. You only need to leave it on 2-5 minutes instead of 30 like when using conditioner, and it saves on conditioner. Also I didn't get any white balls from the conditioner reacting with my old wash and go. Y'all should try her method of clarifying

To add to this, AketaFitGirl didn't do this each wash. She rotated the bs in, every few weeks. Is that what you got from her videos aharri23.

MsDeeKay is talking about the bs step on her blog this week, if anyone wants some adaptions. http://www.msdeekay.com/4837/mhm-faq-baking-soda-clarifying-tips/

I don't do baking soda every wash either even though I am low porosity. I do it every few washes or when I feel like it.

What type of clay are you using?

faithVA. I ordered this one on amazon:

41p6RkglxML.jpg

To add to this, AketaFitGirl didn't do this each wash. She rotated the bs in, every few weeks. Is that what you got from her videos @aharri23.

MsDeeKay is talking about the bs step on her blog this week, if anyone wants some adaptions. http://www.msdeekay.com/4837/mhm-faq-baking-soda-clarifying-tips/

I don't do baking soda every wash either even though I am low porosity. I do it every few washes or when I feel like it.

Yeah she said she clarified with BS + hot water every 2-3 weeks. You are correct. Inbetween she said she used ACV

Okay so i tried the clay step and here is my review. I did the following steps:

1. CO-Wash with Trader Joes tea tree condish and a tad bit of Baking soda
2. DC and sat under steamer with Hairveda DC (45 min)
3. Rinsed and apply clay mixture for almost 2 hours. I blended up the clay mixture in a tiny food processor to make sure i could get a good consistency
4. Rinse, add Giovanni Direct Leave-in and watered down KCCC

Applying the clay on my hair made my strands feel a little weird. I wasnt thrilled but i kept going for the sake of trying out something new, and to be fair I wasn't crazy about how my hair felt prior due to the DC i used ( i will probably not use that for a DC again. Annabelles DC did my strands much better). I saw and understood how my curls were elongated due to the heaviness of the clay.

After leaving the clay on for about 2 hours under a plastic cap, i hopped in the shower to rinse. My hair felt kinda coated but i kept rinsing. I applied a little more TJ conditioner on top of the rinse to help with the coated feeling. Afterwards i applied the leave-in/KKCC and twisted my hair up and slept on it (my hair seems to get the best curls when i do it this way overnight).

This morning I carefully took the twists out and started to fluff. I also blow-dry my roots on very low heat for a few seconds to stretch my curls. My hair still felt a little strange but the curls started coming in.

Overall I still haven't decided if i am going to do this step every few days as the MHM states. I may do this treatment with clay twice a month. Perhaps i need to play with the clay mixture to get a better consistency or maybe add some oil to it so that it doesn't feel so odd on my hair. I noticed when I used one of Natty Naturals DC, one of the ingredients listed is clay and my hair responded the same way :ohwell:

I give this step a 5/10.

Last edited:
[USER said:
atlien11;21033485[/USER]]Okay so i tried the clay step and here is my review. I did the following steps:

1. CO-Wash with Trader Joes tea tree condish and a tad bit of Baking soda
2. DC and sat under steamer with Hairveda DC (45 min)
3. Rinsed and apply clay mixture for almost 2 hours. I blended up the clay mixture in a tiny food processor to make sure i could get a good consistency
4. Rinse, add Giovanni Direct Leave-in and watered down KCCC

Applying the clay on my hair made my strands feel a little weird. I wasnt thrilled but i kept going for the sake of trying out something new, and to be fair I wasn't crazy about how my hair felt prior due to the DC i used ( i will probably not use that for a DC again. Annabelles DC did my strands much better). I saw and understood how my curls were elongated due to the heaviness of the clay.

After leaving the clay on for about 2 hours under a plastic cap, i hopped in the shower to rinse. My hair felt kinda coated but i kept rinsing. I applied a little more TJ conditioner on top of the rinse to help with the coated feeling. Afterwards i applied the leave-in/KKCC and twisted my hair up and slept on it (my hair seems to get the best curls when i do it this way overnight).

This morning I carefully took the twists out and started to fluff. I also blow-dry my roots on very low heat for a few seconds to stretch my curls. My hair still felt a little strange but the curls started coming in.

Overall I still haven't decided if i am going to do this step every few days as the MHM states. I may do this treatment with clay twice a month. Perhaps i need to play with the clay mixture to get a better consistency or maybe add some oil to it so that it doesn't feel so odd on my hair. I noticed when I used one of Natty Naturals DC, one of the ingredients listed is clay and my hair responded the same way :ohwell:

I give this step a 5/10.

If you already have curls, perhaps you don't need the clay for such a long time and perhaps you can make it thinner. I haven't seen your hair but its possible bentonite may have been better based on the way you are describing your hair. But just try shortening it to 30 minutes versus the 2 hours and making it a bit thinner. You can also add a bit of oil but I wouldn't add too much. Too much can make it feel more coated.

I'm using 1 cup of water, 1/2 cup of rhassoul and 1/2 tsp of olive oil. That is a medium consistency because I don't have defined curls and I need something to weigh my hair down. For a lighter mix add a bit more water.

If your curls are already defined then you don't need clay each time, probably only when your hair starts to frizz.

[USER=6316 said:
atlien11[/USER];21033529]faithVA

Thanks girlie! Did your hair feel coated or "different" when you rinsed? What should my hair feel like?

My hair did feel coated initially. The terressential site says this is a detox period where you have product that has bound to your hair and the clay is pulling it out. For instance if I do a protein treatment or color my hair, there is a detox period where the surface layer of build up from those has to be removed. It usually only takes a few washes before it feels fine.

The only other time I can remember my hair feeling coated is if I didn't get product off in step 1 or if I added oil into the conditioner. Too much oil makes the clay stick to my hair. It's not a big problem because it just comes off in the next wash.

Were you using any type of silicone or protein treatments or heavy butters in the months prior? Sometimes that can give you a gummy feeling initially. But it should disappear with a few more uses of mud, maybe 3 or 4.

I stay away from cones however the DC i was using had coconut oil in it. I know that sometimes acts as a protein. I am going to try it once more around this time next week with some different products before that step. I haven't given up on it yet completely, however i want to make sure its not doing more harm than good.

Overall i am very happy with the MHM ( i do it every 2-3 days minus the clay part). Its helped me to love my hair again.

I stay away from cones however the DC i was using had coconut oil in it. I know that sometimes acts as a protein. I am going to try it once more around this time next week with some different products before that step. I haven't given up on it yet completely, however i want to make sure its not doing more harm than good.

Overall i am very happy with the MHM ( i do it every 2-3 days minus the clay part). Its helped me to love my hair again.

Just don't do it so long and you shouldn't have any problem. Rhassoul is pretty gentle. Even my dry, brittle hair doesn't fuss about it.

My hair is starting to dry out, but it has done much better than it every has at holding moisture for a few days. My flat twist usually have started to have a major frizz out but my hair almost looks like I just did it.

Tonight is my wash night and it is going to have to be a quick one. I probably will do baking soda for step 1 so I can cook while I let it sit. I think I will heat my conditioner and just cowash and finger comb for 15 minutes and then let it sit while I eat. Then I will use the mud puddle and let it sit while I shower. I will rinse and baggy for 15 minutes. Then I will apply the leave-in and then twist up with an oil and butter. It's going to be a late night, since I probably won't get home until 8:30 :ohwell:

To add to this, AketaFitGirl didn't do this each wash. She rotated the bs in, every few weeks. Is that what you got from her videos aharri23.

That link showing msdeekay altering the original BS regimen really just rubbed me the wrong way. People have been following her/their original clarify BS recipe and regimen for months, even years. Now she says not to leave the BS on more than 15 minutes. 15-1hr. is a big difference. And now we shouldn't use it every time we do the regimen? Why not?

Back