LOVE BT, but does it give you dry/broken edges?

yodie

Let me be the first to say that I absolutely LOVE BT!!! It has given me some growth.. seriously.

However, I noticed that my edges have really broken, to the point where I can't wear my hair back. My edges were already wayyyyy thin, but this is a major setback that can be remedied with time.

Not sure if BT is too dry for my edges, but it's the only topical growth aid that I normally apply to my edges.

Anyone else notice this? If so, what did you use to remedy.
I've started with biotin, castor oil and flax oil.

I did notice that the BT made my edges crispy, I had to change the way I apply,because I didn't want to stop using BT on the rest of my scalp. I use to put some on my finger and then I would smear it over the edges. I think the suplur was to drying to my hair. Now I make sure I start my part at the edge and only put the BT on the scalp. I have been moisturizing my edges daily and I seal with WGO/peppermint oil combo and they are filling in QUICK.

One other thing that may have played a role in my egedes coming back so quickly. Is that I have been using Garnier Brillinat Shine whenever I need to lay then down. And I have found that product to be very moisturizing.

Ingredients

Aqua Water , PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil , PPG-5-Ceteth-20 , Steareth-20 , Propylene Glycol , Glycerin , Oleth-3 Phosphate , C 12-15 Alkyl Benzoate , Octyldodecyl Neopentanoate , Parfum Fragrance , Phenoxyethanol , Aminomethyl Propanol , Methylparaben , Sorbic Acid , Disodium EDTA , Linalool , Benzyl Salicylate , Butylphenyl Methylpropional , BHA , BHT , Niacinamide , Panthenol , Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexine Carboxaldehyde , Citronellol , Limonene , PEG-192 Apricot Kernel Glycerides , PEG-70 Mango Glycerides , Benzyl Benzoate , Yellow 5 CI 19140 , Citrus Limonum Lemon Extract , Blue 1 CI 42090

My edges are happy now.

Last edited:
My edges are barely there. Wish I had something to part. Maybe I'll stick with castor oil on my edges and BT throughout my hair.

Thanks.

I moisturize like crazy when I use my homemade sulfur mix. I also use Frenchee to seal after the moisturizer, no dry edges.

thanks for responding ladies.

I may try using BT, moisturizing and sealing with oil.

I use BT, I've never experienced dry/broken edges with BT. :look:

I know everyone doesn't. I love BT. It's been a blessing.
My hair is verrrryyy sensitive, but my edges and nape are even more sensitive and extremely DRY. Just wondering if the sulphur is too much.

Only way to tell is to lay off my edges for awhile.:drunk:

I know everyone doesn't. I love BT. It's been a blessing.
My hair is verrrryyy sensitive, but my edges and nape are even more sensitive and extremely DRY. Just wondering if the sulphur is too much.

Only way to tell is to lay off my edges for awhile.:drunk:

I have never experienced any dryness or crunchy edges using BT, MTG, or any other sulfur mix. Im not sure what that's about, but i agree with those who have stated to incorporate castor oil into your regimen and also to step up your moisture game. :) Laying off the edges wont hurt either, if you are pretty sure that this is whats causing it. Careful about how you tie your scarf at night as well, or if its slipping back while you sleep. Any number of things could be causing thinning/broken edges.

HTH and good luck!

No dryness or broken edges here. I usually moisturize my edges and then apply BT as I've read on this board that BT can be drying if used alone or prior to moisturizing.

I've been using BT faithfully for a few months, and I noticed the same thing. However, I make sure and moisturize very well and I haven't had anymore problems. Sulfur makes my hair very dry and crunchy if I don't moisturize. Otherwise, I absolutely love the growth I've been getting with BT.

Back