Ladies with low density

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
DominicanBrazilian82, you can have fine hair, the thickness/thinness of your individual strands, but a ton of them per square inch (density) on your head i.e. EnExitStageLeft is high density, but has fine strands. So, you probably do have fine strands, but I don't believe your hair is low density. However, looks can be deceiving, if you met me IRL, you'd have know idea how low density it is, because I bring the volume. At least, I think I do, :lol:

Ivonnovi

This "low density" crap is why I'm considering taking my sisterlocks down. Though I appreciate clean parts, their grid leaves me way to scalpy for my own taste.

Attachments

• IMG_0343.jpg
    IMG_0343.jpg
    572.4 KB · Views: 64
  • DSC02142.jpg
    DSC02142.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 67

Amarilles

Check your ponytail's diameter, if larger than a quarter the density is high, if it's bigger than a nickel (but smaller than a quarter) it's normal and smaller than a nickel is considered low. Should be done on straight hair IIRC!

LovelyDelight

@DominicanBrazilian82, here's some low density, wide part examples.

You can see my scalp a mile away:look:

ETA: My tech support (son) is watching True Blood. I have no idea why that first pic is so huge.

Thank you for posting these pictures. I'm having a similar issue with my parts as well. I didn't realize that I had such low density before, or if it was brought on by high blood pressure and an iron deficiency or maybe all of the above. It looks like some people's hair just has low density when its parted and it doesn't have anything to do with health. I'm relieved at not being the only one with wide parts.

Is there anything you can do to make your hair more dense? I was thinking about incorporating an protein egg mask 2-3x a week to my regimen...

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
LovelyDelight, have you always had low density hair, and wide parts? Or, have you only had this issue since the onset of your high blood pressure and iron deficiency? If this is correlated to your iron and blood pressure. Girl, get your health and hair density back!

If not, there's no way to increase the number of hair follicles we are born with, but you can do things to minimize breakage and shedding. Currently, I'm looking into ayurvedic herbs, coffee and tea rinses to decrease my shedding. A few threads regarding the efficacy of panthenol have recently been bumped by DB82.

I feel like the supplements I'm currently taking are only making my chin hairs more noticeable. Maybe, they're working on my head, but I can't notice because hair should be there...

LovelyDelight

@LovelyDelight, have you always had low density hair, and wide parts? Or, have you only had this issue since the onset of your high blood pressure and iron deficiency? If this is correlated to your iron and blood pressure. Girl, get your health and hair density back!

If not, there's no way to increase the number of hair follicles we are born with, but you can do things to minimize breakage and shedding. Currently, I'm looking into ayurvedic herbs, coffee and tea rinses to decrease my shedding. A few threads regarding the efficacy of panthenol have recently been bumped by DB82.

I feel like the supplements I'm currently taking are only making my chin hairs more noticeable. Maybe, they're working on my head, but I can't notice because hair should be there...

@MileHighDiva: I've definitely noticed the parts getting thinning and larger since seeing my doctor. This is what my part was looking like afew days after I saw my doctor.

Since this picture was taken (around July 4th), I've been taking Biotin (10,000 mcg), Iron (65 mg), Fish oil (1290 mg), and Zinc (50 mg). This was taken last weekend. It SEEMS to have improved, though I still think my part is too wide.
WET:

DEFINITELY going to continue with the vitamins (I'm looking into trying egg mask, collagen extract, flax seed, and bamboo extract this week).

I'd like to know more about tea rinses. I also was wondering about using henna to thicken my hair. I've read afew threads about it and google searched info as well, but I'm still alittle worried about the reaction it might have on my scalp with its present condition.

Last edited:

BonBon

I think I'm low density and have fine strands

[/URL]

Havent figured out how to make my hair look thicker, but thanks for the tips.

Last edited:

Seamonster

DominicanBrazilian82 MileHighDiva Sure, here it is

it’s important to make a distinction between “hair density” and “hair strand thickness.” Hair strand thickness is self explanatory, but hair density refers to how many strands of hair you have on one square inch of your head. The average person has 2,200 strands of hair per square inch. Of course hair density differs greatly from person to person, and if you’re a curly girl, it’s even more difficult to determine. Hair density can be classified into three levels: low, medium and high.
Product for Your Density

Thin hair: Moptop Light Hold Anti-Frizz Gell
Medium hair: Living Proof No Frizz Wave Shaping Curl Defining Styling Cream
Thick hair: Ohm Body Aloe Hair Gel
If you have thick hair strands, you will more than likely have high hair density, but this is not always the case. Hair density is often diagnosed by a professional who will either conduct a strand count or take a “phototrichogram.” A phototrichogram is a close up photo of individual hair strands, which professionals use to count hair strands and determine hair density. But if you want to conduct a density test at home, try conducting the “pony tail test.”
Smooth out your hair as much as possible with a comb or your fingers, and then gather and tie it into a ponytail.
Measure the circumference of your ponytail. Low density hair will be less than two inches, medium density hair will be two to three inches and thick hair will be four or more inches.