any ladies with long, natural, fine and low density hair?

JosieLynn you and your sister are pretty.

I know I have a lot of hair. I hope no one kicks me out but I have some questions. I do not have low density but I do think my hair is fine. How do I know the difference between fine, regular & thick?
SlimPickinz, Your hair is beautiful. I think it's fine, but not low density. The way I saw it, straightened, looks a lot like my relaxed hair which I considered fine, med density.

You can have a lot of hair on your hair but your individual strands are fine. So you can have 100,000 strands and your individual strands are like thread (high density) vs. Someone who has 50,000 strands with strands that are like pencils (low density).

Best,
Almond Eyes

I would like to know this too. How is thickness not related to density?

Napp SlimPickinz

You've seen those emergency sewing kits at hotels & at the dollar store, right?
A normal/medium human hair strand is about 1/2 the width of the thread in that kit.
Coarse hair strand can be nearly the same width of that thread.
Fine hair is thinner, like silk thread.

For example: I have high density (lots of hair on my head) & mostly coarse (thick) strands. Please see receipts below:

ForumRunner_20141013_123241.jpg
20141004_221612~2.jpg

Sent from my SGH-T599N using LHCF

I'm natural 4A, low density, fine strands, and just about MBL again. I've been trying to get to WSL forever. I cut back to BSL in March, and my hair seems thicker.

I don't have too many shots with my scalp showing because... well... I delete them. :look: :lol:

Attachments

• DSC03095.jpg
    DSC03095.jpg
    511.6 KB · Views: 152
  • DSC03094.jpg
    DSC03094.jpg
    532.5 KB · Views: 141
  • DSC03098.jpg
    DSC03098.jpg
    504.8 KB · Views: 133
  • DSC03099.jpg
    DSC03099.jpg
    563.5 KB · Views: 125
  • DSC02949.jpg
    DSC02949.jpg
    403.9 KB · Views: 129
Ok next question! Can I have fine coarse hair? Because my strands aren't particularly fragile & I loveeeeeeee protein.

@Napp @SlimPickinz

A normal/medium human hair strand is about 1/2 the width of the thread in that kit.

For example: I have high density (lots of hair on my head) & mostly coarse (thick) strands. Please see receipts below:

View attachment 279583
View attachment 279585

Beautiful hair regiment please.

Best,
Almond Eyes

I'm natural 4A, low density, fine strands, and just about MBL again. I've been trying to get to WSL forever. I cut back to BSL in March, and my hair seems thicker.

I don't have too many shots with my scalp showing because... well... I delete them. :look: :lol:

How do you retain your length. Beautiful hair as well. How long has it taken you to get to this length.

Best,
Almond Eyes

The mentioning of porosity reminds me of why I never bothered finding any of these things out. Too many variables! I asked if it's fine, coarse strands because my hair is tough. It doesn't break as easily as fine hair should. But my strands as a whole aren't thick.

I think my hair just loves protein. My wash regimen has always been protein heavy. Even when all I did were wash n go's.

OP I am quite sorry for the derailment.

Beautiful hair regiment please.]

Quick stats: I'm lowpo, Andre Type 4B/Internet Type 4C (z-pattern), have hard H2O & live in a humid climate.

1.prepoo & detangle with oil + conditioner
2.I rotate my weekly cleansers (clay, shampoo bar, Ayurvedic cowash, Redken Hair Cleansing Cream)
3.Ayurvedic tea under humectant rich deep conditioner+ oil mix with heat
4. Use Ayurvedic oils on scalp & hair
5. Oil rinse as needed
6. LOC with glycerin-free moisturizers & stylers
7. Seal last 4 inches with butter or pomade
8. No direct heat. Hair usually in twists, buns & updos using hair sticks.

Last edited:
I see quite a few people with my hair type but their hair is always really thick. does anyone know of anyone with low density hair?

Napp
Cjeck out professional body builder leobodyc5 on YouTube. She has long (hip+) natural, fine low-density hair.

Thanks! SlimPickinz and i agree with Sholapie that fine/course relates to individual strand thickness and low density/high density is how many strands are on your head. All the different variations of those two qualities make for the very different reactions people have to certain products and tools, styles etc. And about your question of fine coarse hair idk if that is the term for it but I know my hair loves protein because it is so fine, it helps to keep it strengthened given whatever I decide to do with it. And i don't think my hair is super fragile, it's just skinny strands lol. My hair is truly unique even in its low density fineness because i love all the things i'm not supposed to; shea butter, castor oil, protein...all of it. If i used light oils my hair would be super dry and never cooperate. So early on i used to hair type etc as a guide and then went off what worked best for me. I just want to see more low density women because i'm constantly looking for others and how they style their hair and if anything i haven't tried works for them and might work for me.

Thanks! SlimPickinz and i agree with Sholapie that fine/course relates to individual strand thickness and low density/high density is how many strands are on your head. All the different variations of those two qualities make for the very different reactions people have to certain products and tools, styles etc. And about your question of fine coarse hair idk if that is the term for it but I know my hair loves protein because it is so fine, it helps to keep it strengthened given whatever I decide to do with it. And i don't think my hair is super fragile, it's just skinny strands lol. My hair is truly unique even in its low density fineness because i love all the things i'm not supposed to; shea butter, castor oil, protein...all of it. If i used light oils my hair would be super dry and never cooperate. So early on i used to hair type etc as a guide and then went off what worked best for me. I just want to see more low density women because i'm constantly looking for others and how they style their hair and if anything i haven't tried works for them and might work for me.

This is exactly what I did and still do. I don't confine myself to categories; I'm receptive to info from any hair subset - short, long, natural, relaxed, lo-po, hi-po, 3/4abcdefg, etc. I will consider any reasonable suggestion or recommendation in order to fulfill my hair's preferences. I've discovered quite a few gems doing this.

You could always make super small twists. I look terrible in chunky twists. But if I get about 40 on my head it looks nice. It holds moisture really well too.

krissyhair

I tried this awhile back, with varying levels of success. Below are some old pictures. I think my main issue is that I want to use twists as a protective style. Something I can leave in a week or so and not have to worry about my hair.

My strands are fine and my twists tend to go flat easily. So instead of being round and plump, they flatten out. I think this might be as much due to the texture of my strands as it the density. So the twists only look good for maybe a day, which seems to defeat the purpose of twists as a protective style.

Twists done on wet hair. They swelled up nicely, but the style only lasted probably 2-3 days at most.

100_42431-vi.jpg

100_42461-vi.jpg

Twists done on wet hair with gel (by someone else). These didn't swell as much due to the gel and were just a bit too scalpy for my tastes.

otkiandAOTandATOprobatepics010-vi.jpg

Twists done on dry hair. Definitely too much space between the twists for me. I ended up pulling them into a ponytail.

Twistsback-vi.jpg

Twistsleftside-vi.jpg

My hair was much shorter the last time I tried twists as a style. They're time consuming to put in (for me at least) and I never seemed to get great results. So I haven't attempted them in awhile. So I may try them again and see of the extra length helps them to look fuller.

Napp SlimPickinz

View attachment 279583
View attachment 279585

These are the type of full, thick twists I dream about.

Is there a way to actually increase the number of strands that grow out? I have really low density!
I don't think so..but you can reduce the amount of strands that do fall out (shedding) by taking a garlic supplement. I've been taking them for a couple years now and my hair sheds a very small amount compared to what it used to (large clumps). But I do have very high density hair already with fine strands, I just wanted to rectify my shedding problem

Is there a way to actually increase the number of strands that grow out? I have really low density!

Only if your hair has been damaged. Can't change genetics

My hair isn't super low density but it's low/med and my strands are extremely fine

I used to have the opposite issue that a lot of naturals seem to have. My hair looked much thicker straight than it does in its curly state. When I took natural hair pics, my hair looked so puny, but my hair looked THICK when I took straight hair pics :spinning:.

But somehow my hair's changed. My strands went from coarse to medium, but it's denser o_O. So my hair's much much more fragile, but it seems like I have more of it. Actually, I don't know what's going on :drunk:

Back