Lace wigs

Do lace wigs look fake

• Yes i think they look fake.

Votes: 123 28.0%
  • No i think they look fine.... if you get a good one.

Votes: 316 72.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I love lacefronts! They have been great to give my hair a break while transitioning. I wore one for the first time a year ago for a photo shoot and once I saw I didn't look crazy lol I was hooked. I have pics of one in my fokti album "transitioning styles"...it is indian hair...way too much density at first but i had it thinned out. i've tried the glue adhesive...didn't stick as much as i liked but looked the most realistic. when i used the tape it def was stuck on there but i didn't like how the tape looked on my skin. i don't wear longer than 2 weeks cause i need to be able to get to my hair to wash, condition, etc. While they will never replace my weaves, it is a good back-up to have in between. Mine is Indian hair and i got it from Sunny's Hair in Atlanta. They also have a website: sunnyshair.com

I've been studying on Black Hair Media and I'm going to try to apply it myself the next time I wear it (crossing fingers). Do any of you have a favorite glue. I don't love the Ultra Hold.

WOW....Your picture with the Bohyme Brazillian Wave 14". That's a weave?
OH my it looks so natural & pretty. I LOVE IT!

Sindee,

Thank you and YES it is a weave :) I swear that hair has changed the game for me lol. I didn't want to have to constantly straighten hair on the top of my head/edges to match some silky hair. I just do co-washes on it with cheapie conditioner (Suave etc) and the little bit of my hair that is out I can still co-wash, DC, seal with EVOO and I'm good to go. I'm able to get to my scalp and my braids underneath as well. It is the best of both worlds!

http://www.yiweidu.com/catalog/Home,19.aspx

I ordered it from there. I have been stalking lace wigs for about 3 years now. I went with them because they have 24 hour customer service and they accept paypal. That gave me extra security. Some of the vendors in China use western union and i won't use them. If one of them tries to scam me, i can't get my money back.

I chose to get a custom made unit. It is 22 inches has a base color and three highlight colors, bleached knots, yaki hair texture. The usual price for this is about $600.. I paid $260. I went with a company that ladies on BHM have used a lot and that gave great results for my price range. i was a little skeptical about ordering on, but I am glad that i did.

Most people order from american vendors, but what they are doing is purchasing wigs from china and selling them to you for twice the price. Most of them have no idea how to make wigs and they are charging you outrageous amounts of money just because they are the middle man.

I learned soo much about lace wigs from Black Hair Media. They can teach you how to apply, the glues, caring for your wig, how to measure. I would spend some time just reading and learning. You can join for free there and it will help lots...

Thanks for the info xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I've just seen this thread, and thought I'd pop my head in. As someone mentioned earlier, Black Hair Media has a fantastic lace front section. I learned everything I know from them (measuring your perimeter correctly, bleaching knots with creme developer or the fake bleaching knots method, cutting the lace, choosing the best adhesives, thinning out the hairline, applying in front/behind hairline, properly removing the lace front to prevent the glue from taking out your hair, choosing the correct wig density, etc. I suggest that you read up on all of that before purchasing.

I purchased my lace front straight from a chinese vendor. I bought it for $200 including shipping. It's a medium fit, light to medium density, 1b, 18 light yaki.

Although I love my ace front, I decided to go back to wearing weaves because ersonally the upkeep for me is too much. I'm more of a weave lady. Once I get my hair braided and the weave sewn, I don't have to do anything else to my hair for 3 mos (yes I know that's lazy). Unlike the lace front, that you have to touch up the adhesives. I'm not into that. I'll only wear my lacefront between installs since I take a two week break before I apply my weaves.

Anyway, without further adieu, take a look at some pics. You can check out my fotki to view additional pics.

Close up pic of hairline after wig was applied

Pic of hair installed and curled

Pic of wig before I applied it and cut the lace

Pic of back of wig after I applied and curled

Pic of side of hair after it was applied

This is a link that I posted on Black Hair Media when I first installed my lacefront.
http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=114365&PN=1

Hey i'm glad i started this thread and i really like the look of yours..pls pm me and tell me where you got this and what type of hair it is xxxxxxxxxx thanks looks fab

I know right?! Her lace front is ON POINT.

PM her, I'm sure she'll be more than happy to tell you where she got hers from.

i'm about to blow up BHM's weave and lacefront sections. Ediese that wig is off the chain...i'm about to PM you.

i guess a wig is more cost efficient, cause it lasts so much longer than a weave and my last full sew-in was 175 and i dont think that included the hair. i'm in college though...so i gotta do some number crunching. i am in kinky twists now and i feel you about the rest period though. cant go from long to short to long too many times without people wondering. LOL

kriolagirl that bohyme weave is fantastic. the one thing about these twists is I CANT COWASH and it is killing me since i usually cowash every day to every other day. did you get the hair online? i did a search on their website and i dont think they sell it at a BSS near me.

I'm not a regular at the Hair Salon because it's not something that I budget for. However, I think I will make an appointment every 10 weeks so I can get it deep conditioned and trimmed, so I can save my ends. My last trim was 4 weeks ago. We're supposed to trim every 6 weeks right?

The hairdresser suggested that I get my hair braided in two month intervals. I would have liked to, but when I checked the price of the hair that I wanted, ($35 a pack) and I needed 3, and braids cost at least $100. It wasn't worth it for 2 month intervals.

Blackrose did me such a great favor by opening this thread, because I've always had questions about Lace Wigs, and I found a place in Philadelphia that would do it, BUT, there is a $100 consultation fee, and the wigs cost at least $350.

Youtube has videos on easy lace front applications that showed me that it is really that easy. So an investment in a Lace Wig is definitely what i have decided to do. Hopefully I see results in growth of my own hair when it's left alone.

Is there any one in the philadelphia area that is good at Lace Front Applications? I'll buy mine and just have it applied by someone, just to be sure I don't rip my own hair off :lachen:

STILL WANT ONE!!!!!!
I'm just trying to convince myself that I can DO IT!!!!!

Last edited:
*funny*

I am getting one, it's too cheap and worth while to not get one.

Has any one seen the videos on Youtube? I Saw the applications by MsLola. Is she one of our board members?

http://www.mslola.com

She also has a one step cream that she uses, by hand, and she says lasts 2 to 3 weeks.

I've been watching Ms. Lola's videos on youtube.com and I have been on her website too www.mslola.com.

I have been investigating lace wigs for a couple of weeks and think they are a good option as a protective style. They seem to last for at least one year with proper care.

And for sew-in wearers lace wigs are a cheaper option. I paid $200 each time for my sew-ins and then about $180 for the custom blended human hair (16" - 18" color #2 & #4 blended with #8 highlights every 2 inches). Haven't had a sew-in for a while but I remember my hair order. :lachen: So if I find a wig for less than $380, I am making out better than with a sew-in that would only last 8 weeks.

The only problem seems to be the adhesives. Some are toxic and many ladies get headaches and also a drawer full of tapes and adhesives due to trying out so many to get the right combo. I have learned that to avoid adhesives, the wigs can be secured with bobby pins.

I am practicing with a synthetic lace front right now....and may order a real lace front one day rather than a full lace wig.

I printed out a measuring tape from online because I just do not have one any where.
Let me tell you! My head is HUGE! :lol:

Last edited:
:lachen::lachen::lachen: They have all sorts of stock sizes.
Turns out DH was right though, I do have a smaller than average head (circumference at least).

No girl, when I order this wig they might think it's for a man :lol:

I was hoping to be able to order a stock wig, not have one made, I feel ashamed. :lachen:

I want desperately to get one but they are just too expensive for my blood.

Some of the stock wigs are not expensive but I feel you. Custom made wigs can get very expensive with all the color add ons and what not!

I'm still shopping for that "right one"!

It was a false alarm, I have a regular head after all. :lol:
I contacted the company about ordering, hopefully they can hold it for me until I can send them the $$.

I'm very excited!

Has anyone else viewed the MsLola videos on Youtube and seen her manually applied lace wig bond?

Last edited:
Some of the stock wigs are not expensive but I feel you. Custom made wigs can get very expensive with all the color add ons and what not!

I'm still shopping for that "right one"!

1.what is a "stock" wig and how much are they compared to the custom ones?
2.is there anyway to turn a regular wig into a lace front?
3.what about buying a human hair wig and using double sided wig/toupee tape? I wonder if that would be a cheaper alternative...

Last edited:
Carmela, the huge difference in the Lace wigs, imo, is the hairlines, regular wigs don't do that. At all. I've seen ppl try to wear a half wig at the front of their hair and depending on which one they use, it's not a good look.

Stock wigs are wigs that they already have, they list the specs and u determine based on your own preferences if it is some thing u want to purchase.

My stock wig is costing $160 with $30 shipping. Comparing the cost of braiding, and salon visits, this is great for me!

Trini, what website did you find your wig for $160?
It's still expensive but I might be able to talk DH into for my xmas gift.

I checked it out, the display of the wigs is really nice, with how they have the mannequin. A lil off my budget, but it's nice.

I forgot to ask: You can style ur wigs right? Curl etc? Cos i dont want to be stuck with a straight styled wig:ohwell:

I checked it out, the display of the wigs is really nice, with how they have the mannequin. A lil off my budget, but it's nice.

I forgot to ask: You can style ur wigs right? Curl etc? Cos i dont want to be stuck with a straight styled wig:ohwell:

I know that's right!

I think you can though! Your wig should be 100% human hair ready to be styled and all.

On BHM the girls dye, curl, rollerset, flat iron, and do many more styles with their lace front wigs!!! It's amazing!

1.what is a "stock" wig and how much are they compared to the custom ones?
2.is there anyway to turn a regular wig into a lace front?
3.what about buying a human hair wig and using double sided wig/toupee tape? I wonder if that would be a cheaper alternative...

I do not own a lace wig but have been researching them for a while. From what I have read, you can get a stock wig (from a Chinese vendor) for under $200 depending on the length of the hair.
http://www.longfeihair.com/english/En_Product.asp?EnBigClassName=In-stock-wigs

A regular wig cannot be made into a lace front. Lace wigs have the hair individually knotted through the lace base while traditional wigs have a wig cap as a base with tracks sewn onto the base. Check out this page for lace wig cap construction to see what I mean. http://www.mslola.com/specifications.html

Sure, you can put on a regular wig with tape/glue but it will not have the lace front look unless you find a regular human hair wig that has a lace front - currently Beverly Johnson makes "lace front" wigs but they get horrible reviews on www.blackhairmedia.com

I have a synthetic "lace front" wig by Modu. They make a wanna be lace front wig under the name Invisilace. Pics in Fotki. I have used tape to hold my wig in place and today I just pinned it on. I have only had the wig for about 2 weeks but so far I like it.....albeit not a true lace front (and synthetic hair). The bangs of my wig hide alot that would be a HUGE no-no for a true lace wig i.e., I cannot bleach the knots to make my wig look more realistic....although my coworkers all swear that I cut and colored my hair last week. lol lol lol lol
Wig is a #2 and just past shoulders while my hair is a #4 and just past shoulder blades.

Last edited:
Back