Jamaican Black Castor Oil

LaNecia said:
***peeking over her shoulder, LaLa tiptoes into thread to post about yet another purchase...***

LD, glad your came yesterday, Mine should be here today, I hope! I placed my order on the 9th but they didn't receive my billing info w/UPS until the 13th.

***tip toes out of thread being very careful not to let the door squeak behind her***

I heard the door squeak!!!!....
but you're off the hook again...cause I plan on gettin some too...:grin:

Good question. I haven't been able to find any other reference of this though....anyone know? I think that post may have been overlooked.

I've been researching this today and I couldn't find anything, I'm still looking though...

Update on my order:

I called the company today cause I was checking the tracking number and it showed that my package never left Los Angeles, it's been hostage there for 2 days. The person I spoke with at Sams(Roger), told me that UPS has a guaranteed delivery date and they will NOT deliver it early, FEDEX does, (better early than sitting on the package).

So, had I have chosen FedEx, I would have received it on Wednesday, instead of Friday. Roger was very apologetic and helpful.

They get a :up: from me on their customer service, they called me back within 10 minutes of my initial call.

Ok, this toxin thing was really bugging me so....I did some research, a little deeper this time. This is what I found:

Castor Bean info

Basically, the page reads that it's is toxic (if ingested AND chewed), the seeds if they are uncommercially prepared.

"DANGEROUS PARTS OF PLANT: The seeds are the primary source of toxin, but the rest of the plant may be considered to be slightly toxic as well.

CLASS OF SIGNS: Stomach irritation, diarrhea, abdominal pain, increased heart rate, profuse sweating, collapse, convulsions, death.

PLANT DESCRIPTION: This stout, robust shrub-like plant with reddish to purple stems may reach 12 feet in height. A perennial in its native tropics, it is grown as a garden annual in Indiana. The large (4 to 30 inches across), umbrella-like leaves (fig. 11) have 5 to 9 pointed, finger-like lobes. Long purple leaf-stems are attached near the centers of the leaf blades. Greenish-white or reddish-brown flowers are produced in narrow, upright clusters. The fruit is a three-lobed, green or red capsule with a soft, spiny

exterior. One large, mottled, attractive seed (fig. 11A) develops in each lobe. Some people think the seeds look like well-fed ticks.

SIGNS: The phytotoxin ("plant toxin") in castorbean is ricin, a water soluble protein, which is concentrated in the seed. Also present are ricinine, an alkaloid, and an irritant oil. As a side note, commercially prepared castor oil contains none of the toxin. There is great species variability in susceptibility to ricin toxin, with humans and horses being the most at risk (25 grams of castorbean seed is lethal for the horse). Due to the powerful toxin however, it is best to keep all animals (livestock and pets) away from this plant.

The seed is only toxic if the outer shell is broken or chewed open. Seeds swallowed intact usually pass without incident. Signs of toxicity may not manifest for 18 to 24 hours after ingestion. The animal first shows signs of depression and a mild increase in temperature. Later, gastrointestinal signs predominate, including vomiting in humans and other species that can vomit (horses cannot vomit), profuse diarrhea (which may be bloody), colic and abdominal pain. The affected animal may then go into convulsions, collapse and die, with death generally occurring within 36 hours of consumption. The toxic signs are the result of severe gastrointestinal irritation, anaphylaxis and shock. This toxin is closely related to the toxin in rosary pea (a section on this plant is also included in this book). "

Another site reads: "Cautions:
Do not ingest the seeds: One bean can be lethal for a child, while two or more can be lethal for an adult. However, the toxins do not pass into the expressed oil. Do not use during pregnancy. Do not use more than once every few weeks as a treatment for constipation.

"

If you're interested in finding out additional info, please see Castor Oil

I watched a special on Discovery Health channel and it was about this white lady who used the castor seeds to slowly poison her husband...she placed it in his food and the doctors could not understand why he was so sick...he was in and out of the hospital for months...luckily he found out and got out of the marriage..so it is DANGEROUS...[the seeds that is]..not sure about the oil...I know people ingest castor oil orally {I did as a child because moms used it as health remedy} and nothing happened...

LaNecia said:
Ok, this toxin thing was really bugging me so....I did some research, a little deeper this time. This is what I found:

Castor Bean info

Basically, the page reads that it's is toxic (if ingested AND chewed), the seeds if they are uncommercially prepared.

"DANGEROUS PARTS OF PLANT: The seeds are the primary source of toxin, but the rest of the plant may be considered to be slightly toxic as well.

CLASS OF SIGNS: Stomach irritation, diarrhea, abdominal pain, increased heart rate, profuse sweating, collapse, convulsions, death.

PLANT DESCRIPTION: This stout, robust shrub-like plant with reddish to purple stems may reach 12 feet in height. A perennial in its native tropics, it is grown as a garden annual in Indiana. The large (4 to 30 inches across), umbrella-like leaves (fig. 11) have 5 to 9 pointed, finger-like lobes. Long purple leaf-stems are attached near the centers of the leaf blades. Greenish-white or reddish-brown flowers are produced in narrow, upright clusters. The fruit is a three-lobed, green or red capsule with a soft, spiny

exterior. One large, mottled, attractive seed (fig. 11A) develops in each lobe. Some people think the seeds look like well-fed ticks.

SIGNS: The phytotoxin ("plant toxin") in castorbean is ricin, a water soluble protein, which is concentrated in the seed. Also present are ricinine, an alkaloid, and an irritant oil. As a side note, commercially prepared castor oil contains none of the toxin. There is great species variability in susceptibility to ricin toxin, with humans and horses being the most at risk (25 grams of castorbean seed is lethal for the horse). Due to the powerful toxin however, it is best to keep all animals (livestock and pets) away from this plant.

The seed is only toxic if the outer shell is broken or chewed open. Seeds swallowed intact usually pass without incident. Signs of toxicity may not manifest for 18 to 24 hours after ingestion. The animal first shows signs of depression and a mild increase in temperature. Later, gastrointestinal signs predominate, including vomiting in humans and other species that can vomit (horses cannot vomit), profuse diarrhea (which may be bloody), colic and abdominal pain. The affected animal may then go into convulsions, collapse and die, with death generally occurring within 36 hours of consumption. The toxic signs are the result of severe gastrointestinal irritation, anaphylaxis and shock. This toxin is closely related to the toxin in rosary pea (a section on this plant is also included in this book). "

Another site reads: "Cautions:
Do not ingest the seeds: One bean can be lethal for a child, while two or more can be lethal for an adult. However, the toxins do not pass into the expressed oil. Do not use during pregnancy. Do not use more than once every few weeks as a treatment for constipation.

"

If you're interested in finding out additional info, please see Castor Oil

But here is says that the unrefined oil contains the toxin too, not just the seeds.

"Aromaland offers the commonly used Sulfated Castor Oil, since raw, unrefined Castor Oil contains a toxin. Sulfated Castor Oil is most commonly used as a natural bridge between oil and water - it can be used to emulsify oils. Hence, Sulfated Castor Oil is a prime ingredient for making bath oils."

Also, has anyone bought theirs from this site: http://www.blackherbals.com/castor_oil.htm

Last edited:
ximenia said:
But here is says that the unrefined oil contains the toxin too, not just the seeds.

"Aromaland offers the commonly used Sulfated Castor Oil, since raw, unrefined Castor Oil contains a toxin. Sulfated Castor Oil is most commonly used as a natural bridge between oil and water - it can be used to emulsify oils. Hence, Sulfated Castor Oil is a prime ingredient for making bath oils."

Also, has anyone bought theirs from this site: http://www.blackherbals.com/castor_oil.htm

I saw that on that site as well, made a note and went on looking for additional information corroborating that claim, I found NONE. Usually, if the info I find is supported by three or more sources (dIfferent sources, not just someone quoting something they read somewhere), then I'm reasonably satisified that it's what it claims to be.

I've looked at the MSDS and other sources, I've not seen anything that says the liquid contains a toxin in it's unrefined form, only in the seeds. That is how I reached my conclusion on purchasing it.

Good luck either way.

Thanks Lanecia. I just ordered some from sams. Is the thickness the same as refined castor oil or is it thicker. Is there a strong scent, does the color stain?

Just got my oil in the mail today. It has a smoky/nutty smell, but not too strong. I'm not too sure about the thickness as I haven't used it yet, but it seems to be of similar consistency.

angellazette said:
Just got my oil in the mail today. It has a smoky/nutty smell, but not too strong. I'm not too sure about the thickness as I haven't used it yet, but it seems to be of similar consistency.

Ximenia,

I totally agree w/angellazette's response. I think the consistency is probably the same. The smell isn't strong or overwhelming at all. I use it on my face at night and I do not have to deal w/a lingering aroma at all.

Has anyone tried to add the Jamaican castor oil to your deep conditioner as yet? I tried it yesterday and oh lord my hair feels so good now:love::yep:. Nice and soft, no breakage and my hair is blinging (very shiny:shocked:). I added some pics to my album under updated texturized hair 7 months after BC. I just had to share to my wonderful experience.:yay::)

CLASSYEBONYGIRL said:
Has anyone tried to add the Jamaican castor oil to your deep conditioner as yet? I tried it yesterday and oh lord my hair feels so good now:love::yep:. Nice and soft, no breakage and my hair is blinging (very shiny:shocked:). I added some pics to my album under updated texturized hair 7 months after BC. I just had to share to my wonderful experience.:yay::)

Yes I did this on Saturday. You need to try it. I was worried that my hair would turn out at sticky with a film on it so I washed with Elasta QP bodyfying shampoo to remove everything from my hair mixed up all my conditioners and added about 1.5 tablespoons of the Castor Oil to my conditioner mix, slathered it all on and used heat for a deep conditioned. OMG the softness minimal breakage. This CO is gonna be a staple in my conditioner mix from now on.

Thanks for the tip ladies I am going to add some to my conditioner I hope it works for me.

Last edited:
Hi, is anyone still using this and if so, what kind of results are you getting? I use the regular castor oil but now I want to start using this one. Anyone?

I use the JBCO on the ends of my hair after I have either cowashed or wet my hair for the day.

I have been doing this for over a month and it really makes the ends of my hair soft and they are very healthy and strong.

I am natural and don't use any heat so I can't tell you how it works for hair that has been altered.

I highly recommend it though. I do use it in my hot oil treatment with about 50-11 other oils and those results for me have been positive also.

JBCO is a daily staple for me. :yep:

This is a main staple for me. I use it to seal my ends and add it to my prepoo mixtures. I've also used it on skin irritants. Sams247.com has 15% off of purchases thru the end of the day.

I use the JBCO on the ends of my hair after I have either cowashed or wet my hair for the day.

I have been doing this for over a month and it really makes the ends of my hair soft and they are very healthy and strong.

I am natural and don't use any heat so I can't tell you how it works for hair that has been altered.

I highly recommend it though. I do use it in my hot oil treatment with about 50-11 other oils and those results for me have been positive also.

JBCO is a daily staple for me. :yep:

Co-sign!

I have relaxed hair and I have the same exact reggie (wet, or co-wash daily and no heat) and JBCO makes my hair incredibly soft and strong too. In fact, when I got my relaxer last month my stylist asked me what was I putting on my hair, because it was so soft and shiny.

thanks ladies. if anyone else has anything to add, please do. i want as much input as possible before i purchase it.

Well I went ahead and purchased it online a week and a half ago from honeyfig.com. It ha not yet arrived but I am eager for it to get here as I am stretching my relaxer and if it softens like everyone says, then I'll be in good shape.

I love this stuff so much that I broke down and got the bulk wholesale order at Sams website.

I got 12 8oz bottles for $89.99. FREE shipping and NO taxes so i'm really only paying $7.50 a bottle.

There was no way i was gonna keep buying one bottle at $9 plus another dang $7 to ship it. :nono:

Ships Fedex w/ tracking number and packaged very nicely and they gave me a free pen too! Woo hoo!:happydance:

Mine came in the mail today w/a free pen as well! SO was like "Not another package, E." I got two today, one yesterday, and I'm still waiting on another! I tried to explain to him the 15% off and rationale for my other purchases. He just smacked his lips and walked away :lachen: but he can't keep his hands outta my hair. I told him I was doing this for US...:look:

MizzBrown Im going to order like that my next purchase. I always order two at a time, but when I did the math it is cheaper for me to buy bulk. I Love Love Love this stuff. I oil my scalp with it, DC every wk with it, seal, I put it around my hairline everyday,I even use it on my face everynight as a moisturizer. JBCO is definitely my main staple.

I am glad I read this post. I plan to order JBCO and was going back and forth about weather to order the bulk (12 -8oz for $89)or pay $16+ for one 8 oz bottle. This will be my first time using the JBCO. I have been using the yellow color cold pressed one from Whole Foods.

Based on the gret reviews I am going to take a chnace and order the bulk. I hope I ain't stuck with 12 bottles of castor oil I do not like.

Back