Is there a way to do henna an maitain jet black hair without having a reddisih hue???

BlackHairDiva

Those of you who henna and use indigo in your hair to get a jet black hair. Do you get a reddish hue in the hair when you do this? I'm thinking about using Henna and Indigo, but I do not want to have a reddish hue?

Is there a way to prevent this?

Re: Is there a way to do henna an maitain jet black hair without having a reddisih hu

I believe if you do them in two seperate steps, henna your hair-wait-then indigo, you won't have the red hue. I have only used henna, so hopefully someone with more experience will chime in.

Re: Is there a way to do henna an maitain jet black hair without having a reddisih hu

Yes, using the 2 step method of applying the Henna first and then using Indigo (after you have completed the Henna process), will give you jet black hair. You will not have a reddish hue. I usually mix the Henna and proceed to apply it to my hair immediately. I don't wait for the color to release.

Yes, using the 2 step method of applying the Henna first and then using Indigo (after you have completed the Henna process), will give you jet black hair. You will not have a reddish hue. I usually mix the Henna and proceed to apply it to my hair immediately. I don't wait for the color to release.
BlackHairDiva

@ the bolded. This is precisely what I do to my DH's hair. I mix Jamila or Karishma henna and immediately apply it to his hair. He sits under the steamer for an hour and rinses it out of his hair afterwards. I then mix the indigo and immediately apply it. He goes back under the steamer for an hour. He rinses it out. He then DC under the steamer for about 30 min. And then he's done.....He gets shiny black hair every time. No sitting around for hrs w/henna on his head and no sitting around for hrs w/indigo on his head. Covers all his greys well and he never has a red or copper tinge to them.

i think you'll get the reddish hue eventually if it's not something you do on a regular basis. i read that henna is permanent while indigo is not so your hair will be jet black until the indigo wears off.

i did the 2 step henna/indigo treatment in august 09 and you can still see the reddish color from the henna on the last few inches of my hair.

deleted post

Last edited:

How long do you let the henna in your hair??? and how long do you leave the indigo in the hair on step 2?

I normally henna anywhere from 2-12 hours. I plan on doing a henna/indigo in the coming months, and in my research i've read to leave the indigo on anywhere from 1.5-3 hours. HTH

Back