I'm thinking about transitioning W/O the Big Chop!

CocoaButterflyy

Re: I\'m thinking about transitioning W/O the Big C

[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
...Also, how long does it approx. take to transition to where your natural hair is shoulder length or longer???

[/ QUOTE ]

where my hair is now is after about two years... so depending on how your hair grows it takes about 2 years but it goes by quickly

mytia

SuperWoman!

Good luck with your transitioning and keep us updated.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made

[ QUOTE ]
JenniferMD said:
Good luck poohbear! Are you still thinking of transitioning w/o the BC?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I do! I want to cut my relaxed ends off when my natural hair reaches my shoulders or maybe even mid neck length or something. My hair grows approx. 1/2 inch per month so I'll be waiting a good 2 years maybe.

Honeyhips

Lovely

I did this. But it was so long ago, I really don't remember what I did. I wore ponytails/buns for a few months, and then just started to wear it out. My hair grew pretty fast too. I had blonde highlights and they were gone in no time. What have you been doing?

naptrl

Dr. Naptrl :)

If you have really long hair, you might want to think about the BC!! I am kinda missing my hair now. I was almost at brastrap..Since you have LHCF, you can easily transition. I did not have this forum then, so I went ahead and cut it off!! Good luck!

Poohbear

my hair really isnt that long, just shoulder length. I wouldnt feel comfortable with my hair 1-2 inches short. So I'll transition without the BC like a lot of others on here have.

blkbeauty

Congrats Poohbear on transitioning again and enjoy the journey

Poohbear, I'm so excited for you. I just finnaly made the decision too. I'll be in for a long 1-3 year transition without the BC. Short hair doesn't fit my face so well and chopping almost brastrap hair would kill me. Braidouts, buns, and occasionl flatirong to check the length are my styles right now. Moisture is extreamly important at this point too. There are so many ladies here with helpful advice to get you through the journey. Good luck

AudraChanell

I've been playing with the idea of transitioning, too. However, I want to press my hair 1 or twice a month versus relaxing. I just may try it, but don't hold me too it (lol)

Audra

silvergirl

good luck poobear!. i dont think it will take long for it to reach shoulder lenght, a year an a half is all u need.

im transitioning myself again.. my hair is longer now so now it feels like im gettin somewhere.. by next yr. both of us will have shoulder length naturals

Poohbear

[ QUOTE ]
silvergirl said:
good luck poobear!. i dont think it will take long for it to reach shoulder lenght, a year an a half is all u need.

im transitioning myself again.. my hair is longer now so now it feels like im gettin somewhere.. by next yr. both of us will have shoulder length naturals

[/ QUOTE ]

u really think it take 1.5 years to have shoulderlength natural hair? That would be awesome! When I said 2-3 years, I was going by the approx. 1/2 inch per month growth based on my hair. Here were my calculations...

For my hair to be shoulderlength, it takes 18 inches (measuring from hairline to ends). My hair grows alternationg between 1/4 inch one month and 3/4 inch the next month...basically 1 inch every 2 months. 2 months X 18 inches = 36 months. So it will take 36 months (3 years) for my natural hair to be shoulder length.

I'm such a nerd!

silvergirl

ohhhhhh.... lol natural hair,, oppsss i thought u meant shoulder lenght wen stretched... :| errmm welll , nm.

Poohbear

i've been playing around with transitioning to natural but now i'm going to be for real and go on and do the dayum thang! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

after trying to transition twice, i have been very tolerable of my new growth and relaxed hair, so i have no doubt that i will have trouble transitioning without the big chop. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

any advice for sticking with my decision will be greatly appreciated because i need it! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

blkmaryland

I too decided to transition w/o the BC. My last touch-up was 10/4/04. I tried it two years ago and couldn't do it. But now, I have the pro advice of the ladies of LHCF and it is making my life muucchhhh easier!!!!!! What it really helping me get through the whole transistion process is re-reading the posts.....ALL of the post, no matter what anyone is doing to there hair, one or all of the following rules is reinforced throughout: MOISTURIZE, PROTECT, and PATIENCE!!!!!! It takes a lot of hard work and time to get and maintain beautiful hair. I have soooo many hair idols on this site and all of them have had a post or two about something that they felt went wrong or their hair did not do right.......and as sick as it may sound, knowing this makes know that its okay that my hair didn't act the way that I wanted it to at 8:00am on the morning of a major presentation :)....just grab the S-curl and pull it back in a bun. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif PM me if you need some one to smack your hands...... /images/graemlins/smile.gif are need some moral support......It's only been 8 weeks and 1 day for me but I can really say that I am proud of my progress.