I hate KNOTS! NO, I REALLY hate them...

cmw45

:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:I HATE knots. I mean I really hate that they cause my hair to feel slightly rough on the ends and I see it as getting rid of all my progress. I've noticed that there are some naturals with APL or longer hair...how do you deal with the knots?

I love love love my natural texture (I mean, my napps are fly) but I want my hair to continue to grow longer (which it is doing thanks to LHCF) and I don't want knots. I mean, I just don't like the idea of long knotty hair.

I don't have knots. Am I the only natural who doesnt? But anyway... How are you styling your hair hun? Could it be trim time?

I hear ya! I'm getting a few here and there as well.:nono:

This is why I'm going to weave it up for a while, until my hair gets longer. I see that keeping my hair in loose/free styles encourages them, and that's all I can do with this length for now. By banding and keeping the ends well moisturized and oiled, I haven't had as many problems with knots, but like I said before, at this length, banding can only go so far.

I'm going to up my use of cones, and see if it helps. I know many ladies here hate cones, but I feel like my hair could use that coating to help it stop from wrapping around other strands.

my nape hair has a tendency to want to create knots but i've found that since i've been applying extra doses of conditioner and spritzing them in the a.m. and just before bedtime, little knots have been non existent back there. I stopped doing wash n goes cause it seemed to find knots where i never had them before....blech. instead i stretch the hair out to keep it from curling back on itself. when it's in the damp stage, take out the twists, apply some sort of product and then.........go.

being in the air conditioning seems to dry out my nape hair too so i've been experimenting with curl activator (World of Curls for extra dry hair) on the ends - applying a good dose on them along with the spritz is really working out great.

(i suspect central heat in the winter will do the same :nono:)

i think the activator acts like a super lube, keeps the strands sliding off right on past each other. it does contain a petroleum product and feels hella greasy when you first put it on but it gets absorbed quickly.

also, could be your at that stage of growth where your hair is rubbing against your clothing, that'll definitely roughen up your ends. that's something that applies to both relaxed and natural hair, you know?

maybe try more styles with your hair up or start using some heavier product on those tender ends.

sorry bout the knotting problem. :nono:

:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:I HATE knots. I mean I really hate that they cause my hair to feel slightly rough on the ends and I see it as getting rid of all my progress. I've noticed that there are some naturals with APL or longer hair...how do you deal with the knots?

I love love love my natural texture (I mean, my napps are fly) but I want my hair to continue to grow longer (which it is doing thanks to LHCF) and I don't want knots. I mean, I just don't like the idea of long knotty hair.

I use Patene Deep Hydrating/Fortifying Treatment. My hair's relaxed, but it really get rid of my tangles. When I was natural, LeKair Cholesterol worked well to detangle my hair.

I don't have knots. Am I the only natural who doesnt? But anyway... How are you styling your hair hun? Could it be trim time?

At one time, I was like you. Wondering what all of the fuss about knots is all about but once I got into the later half of year 3, I realized they are part of the experience at least for me. I started to get them after my hair got pass the 11 inch mark. I combat them by trying to keep my ends coated in something, that keeps them slipery.

Knots are the bain of my existence also.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but knots are un-avoidable. Protective styling will curb the occurance of knots on the ends but believe me no matter what you do they will come. Knots on the ends is a sure sign of a need for a good trim. I find that a lot of loose styles = more knots. This is all just my experience. HTH!

well i have knots and i wear my hair in cornrows i would like to get rid of them myself. but i read somewhere that only black people get them so i guess our hair have a mind of it own. lol:lachen:

There was a time when I would get knots but now I don't get them as much. I got them more during the wash after I had previously blow dried and straightened my hair. I no longer blow dry and straighten my hair. I usually shampoo my hair in 4 braids which also helps.

I haven't had a trim since the ice-ages but that's another story.:blush:

There was a time when I would get knots but now I don't get them as much. I got them more during the wash after I had previously blow dried and straightened my hair. I no longer blow dry and straighten my hair. I usually shampoo my hair in 4 braids which also helps.

I haven't had a trim since the ice-ages but that's another story.:blush:

I have heard mixed reviews on this whole thing. Some say what you said and then others have said the opposite. The first time I really had knots was when I decided to stop straightnening so much. About 6 months down that road, it got bad. I have heard people say all types of things. I just figure it is a length issue. I don't know.

When I used heat monthly b4 styling I didnt' notice knots. Now my hair is knot city. I"m going back to the heat!

I find that I get more knots when I wear my hair in any loose style, especially the wash n go. I no long wear that because it made me feel all of my progress was going down the drain, constantly cutting knots out. I get them more in the crown area, and that is the shortest part of my hair. When I trim I don't get as many. I now wear alot of protective styles. I must if I want length.

At one time, I was like you. Wondering what all of the fuss about knots is all about but once I got into the later half of year 3, I realized they are part of the experience at least for me. I started to get them after my hair got pass the 11 inch mark. I combat them by trying to keep my ends coated in something, that keeps them slipery.

Knots are the bain of my existence also.

TurnerGirl, we have a similar texture did you have knots at all when your hair was shorter? I don't have any but I assumed that they would come with length. But then I hear people with TWA's say they have knots and then I'm confused.

When I used heat monthly b4 styling I didnt' notice knots. Now my hair is knot city. I"m going back to the heat!

i'm with you on this. i have to cut knots off all the time and my hair is bunned up 80% of the time this is hindering my progress and it fustrating. the knots and tangles make my hair look damaged, im goona start maxigliding

I used to get knots a lot and would always end up having to cut them out. I hated it because I felt like I was hindering my progress. It's gotten much better now that I learned to put a lot of conditioner on my ends and use a big detangling comb. I've also realized I can't go more than a day without wetting/detangling my hair when I wear a wash 'n go.

I too have knots, but they are not that bad. I conditon & detangle everyday so maybe that is why they are not out of control. Sometimes if I see them I will clip them off but mostly I just leave 'em alone, I know I need to trim soon so I'll get them then.

TurnerGirl, we have a similar texture did you have knots at all when your hair was shorter? I don't have any but I assumed that they would come with length. But then I hear people with TWA's say they have knots and then I'm confused.

I did not have them until my hair last Ocotber. That was after I stopped using heat. What's weird is that my hair was longer in May 06 than October 06 but then again, I did not pay attention to my hair then, the way I do now. My hair was almost BSL in May and I could barely remember knots. But that hair had been pressed a ton and it was colored (which is why I cut it off in Septemeber). This knot thing is a mystery to me.

:woot: On the other hand. I made a really interesting discovery last night. I have long been a fan of ACV but I always use it the way most use shampoo. Last night I decided to try it as the final step after my co-wash. I put it on my hair threw on a shower cap for 5-10 minutes and rinsed. OMG My hair was amazingly easy to detangle. Usually, I have to load it down with tons of condition and fight with a comb to get it through for 30-45 minutes. Yesterday, I decided I was not in the mood to detangle so I just co-washed did the ACV and got out of the shower.

Well I realized that the very back of my hair was a lot looser than I thought. I started gliding my fingers through it and had relatively no trouble. Then I put Giovanni Direct Leave in on my hair and proceeded to comb through that area with a fine tooth comb.

I don't know what it is about that ACV but my hair had very few tangles after that and the few that were there could be seperated even as I sit here with dry hair.

I did not have them until my hair last Ocotber. That was after I stopped using heat. What's weird is that my hair was longer in May 06 than October 06 but then again, I did not pay attention to my hair then, the way I do now. My hair was almost BSL in May and I could barely remember knots. But that hair had been pressed a ton and it was colored (which is why I cut it off in Septemeber). This knot thing is a mystery to me.

:woot: On the other hand. I made a really interesting discovery last night. I have long been a fan of ACV but I always use it the way most use shampoo. Last night I decided to try it as the final step after my co-wash. I put it on my hair threw on a shower cap for 5-10 minutes and rinsed. OMG My hair was amazingly easy to detangle. Usually, I have to load it down with tons of condition and fight with a comb to get it through for 30-45 minutes. Yesterday, I decided I was not in the mood to detangle so I just co-washed did the ACV and got out of the shower.

Well I realized that the very back of my hair was a lot looser than I thought. I started gliding my fingers through it and had relatively no trouble. Then I put Giovanni Direct Leave in on my hair and proceeded to comb through that area with a fine tooth comb.

I don't know what it is about that ACV but my hair had very few tangles after that and the few that were there could be seperated even as I sit here with dry hair.

Wow.... I never comb or detangle my hair. At the most I just run my fingers through it in the shower. My hair's still short so I guess I can do that for now. But y'all are scaring me with these knot stories. :lol:

I get tangles when my shed hair doesnt make it all the way out. Some times it gets caught in the fro and tangles up on the ends. Maybe you need to make sure you're getting out all of your she hair more frequently...
lys

I found a sample of unrefined shea butter I bought last year and started putting it on my ends and sometimes the length of my hair. My hair seems to have more slip the knots come apart easier and it feels less tangly and less rough. It's not completly knot free but there's some improvement. I put in an order for some shea butter and palm oil I hope together they will get these knots under control.

Co-signing with everything everyone else has said. The longer my hair gets, the more tangles there are. Wash n' go's are pleasant memory and use of heat is the only way I've been able to keep it under control while wearing it "out" :ohwell:

A good trim and making sure my protein/moisture is in balance helps me as well.

I've recently started using Kids Organics Shea Butter Detangler. It's works like a dream. No more knots and my hair noticeably softer. It's also petroleum and mineral oil free. Pretty cheap as well!

I'm natural and I don't have a problem with knots:I avoid them by:
1. When I apply conditioner, I concentrate on my ends.
2. I detangle my hair very, very, very well.
3. I trim my ends as needed and
4. I press my hair straight once a month
My hair is nearly 2 inches past my bra strap now and my ends are doing very well.

I found a sample of unrefined shea butter I bought last year and started putting it on my ends and sometimes the length of my hair. My hair seems to have more slip the knots come apart easier and it feels less tangly and less rough. It's not completly knot free but there's some improvement. I put in an order for some shea butter and palm oil I hope together they will get these knots under control.

Yea...shea butter has been a blessing...but it's not the knots in multiple strands of hair...it's in the single strand knots that kill me. You can't ease them out...all you can do it cut them.

Naturalady: Yes, I'm going to start wearing the protective styles until my hair is long enough to put into a bun or ponytail...maybe a weave, braids, twists...we'll see...

Bemoreflyygirl: I just got a trim.:wallbash: It's not knots at the ends, it's knots in the middle of the strand. It's really frustrating.:wallbash::wallbash:

The ONLY thing, and I meant the ONLY thing that I have noticed that has curbed them at all are wearing my hair in braid outs...but, isn't the point of having natural hair not having to do it all the time?

Bemoreflyygirl: I just got a trim.:wallbash: It's not knots at the ends, it's knots in the middle of the strand. It's really frustrating.:wallbash::wallbash:

The ONLY thing, and I meant the ONLY thing that I have noticed that has curbed them at all are wearing my hair in braid outs...but, isn't the point of having natural hair not having to do it all the time?

Darn that sucks. I only see those 1 strand pixie knots in the nape of my hair on the left side or in the very front on the left when my hair is dry. Those parts always escape from my weave for whatever reason and get dry. I believe thats why I have a little breakage around the edge on that side. As long as I keep that part extra moisturized I don't see them. I've never seen them when my hair was out.

And to the bolded Idk :lol: I feel like all hair is going to need to be done on a regular basis regardless of whether you're relaxed or natural. It just depends on what styles you choose to wear as to how often regularly will be for you and your hair. I also find that when my hair is out I mess with it nearly every 1-2 days. Last week I'm pretty sure I had 3 or 4 different styles. I do my hair way more often now than I did when I was relaxed or natural but wearing protective styles.

Last edited:
Yea...shea butter has been a blessing...but it's not the knots in multiple strands of hair...it's in the single strand knots that kill me. You can't ease them out...all you can do it cut them.

Naturalady: Yes, I'm going to start wearing the protective styles until my hair is long enough to put into a bun or ponytail...maybe a weave, braids, twists...we'll see...

Knots in the middle of the strand. OUCH! Thats a hard one to explain. I have never heard of that happening before. Gosh I am sorry that happened. Please try something diff to see if it will stop that from happening again.

I hate knots too! When they're really bad I typically associate them with the need for a really good trim. I do have a theory that as the hair sheds it gets intertwined with individual strands and that could form the knots you see on the end of a single strand. Since my hair is getting longer I try to use conditioners with a lot of slip to make detangling easy. For me, some of the best conditioners for detangling are Devacurl One Condition, Tigi Moisture Maniac, Elucence MBC, and Trader Joe's Nourish.

Wow.... I never comb or detangle my hair. At the most I just run my fingers through it in the shower. My hair's still short so I guess I can do that for now. But y'all are scaring me with these knot stories. :lol:

I have aways combed my hair even when it was about 2 inches. I now wish that I had taken that first 2 years or so and not combed my hair when I did not have to. I hate combing now and it is a must. Don't be so scared. Just know that if you have a major length goal, you may have to wear protective styles until you get there. Or find some way to prevent knots from jacking up your ends. My hair grew to BSL last year (LOL at the fact that I did not know what BSL was then or did not care about what I did to my hair) without protecting it or anything. But I really think I was able to get to that length because my hair was healthy and I was not having to trim all of the time to keep knots out of my ends. I straightened regularly then, once a month sometimes twice. When I completely flat ironed my hair the morning of my wedding it was just above the top of my wedding dress. That was before the spiral curls and the shrinkage.

I hate knots too! When they're really bad I typically associate them with the need for a really good trim. I do have a theory that as the hair sheds it gets intertwined with individual strands and that could form the knots you see on the end of a single strand. Since my hair is getting longer I try to use conditioners with a lot of slip to make detangling easy. For me, some of the best conditioners for detangling are Devacurl One Condition, Tigi Moisture Maniac, Elucence MBC, and Trader Joe's Nourish.

:think: :think:

I think you could be onto something here...Whenever I look at the knots in the middle of the stand it is usually a shed strand is also usually caught inside the knot. I attributed this to the strand falling and getting caught in the knot...but maybe, instead it is causing the knot? I guess this would mean I need to brush more often? ??????

Back