How to prevent single string knots?

janee

How to prevent single strand knots?

I am currently transitioning. I have been having issues with breakage. It is becoming really frustrating which is prompting me to almost BC even though I don't want to quite yet.

Well, I just noticed in my shed hair that I am getting single strand knots. What exactly can be causing those? I am not sure how long I have been getting them. Is there a way to prevent them? I found one and thought "oh its just one knot". Then I saw another one right beside it. I hate this.:wallbash:

Last edited:
There are threads on nappturality about this and here's the advice that they give. First don't be afraid to trim or lightly dust ends - I had a section in the back of my head that had some thin raggedy ends so I just trimmed it a little and now it looks 100% better - it curls nicely and everything. The best way to stop knots from forming is to remove shed hair w/ a baby brush or boar bristle brush while hair is wet. Never comb hair while it's dry. And detangle under water pressure in the shower w/ a large tooth comb. Do not constantly comb/detangle your hair - I know it sounds backwards but if your coils naturally clump together and you constantly separate them apart they just intertwine again and sometimes wrap around each other forming knots. I detangle my hair completely once a month and I finger comb under shower pressure daily. I have been doing this for 3 months and so far so good. And I only notice knots right after I do my monthly detangling - and it's only two of three of them. I am coming out w/ a natural hair care website just to answer all the questions about being natural - so stay tuned. Hope this helps.

There are threads on nappturality about this and here's the advice that they give. First don't be afraid to trim or lightly dust ends - I had a section in the back of my head that had some thin raggedy ends so I just trimmed it a little and now it looks 100% better - it curls nicely and everything. The best way to stop knots from forming is to remove shed hair w/ a baby brush or boar bristle brush while hair is wet. Never comb hair while it's dry. And detangle under water pressure in the shower w/ a large tooth comb. Do not constantly comb/detangle your hair - I know it sounds backwards but if your coils naturally clump together and you constantly separate them apart they just intertwine again and sometimes wrap around each other forming knots. I detangle my hair completely once a month and I finger comb under shower pressure daily. I have been doing this for 3 months and so far so good. And I only notice knots right after I do my monthly detangling - and it's only two of three of them. I am coming out w/ a natural hair care website just to answer all the questions about being natural - so stay tuned. Hope this helps.

thanks. I air dry my hair in a bun so I do try to detangle as much as I can. I don't want my hair to mat up. I may have to go ahead and start rollersetting to dry my hair. I thought detangling a lot was good.

I'll also check out nappturality. thanks.

Knotting, from what I've read, is just a characteristic of our hair.

Hair Knotting

I'm sure I'm not exempt and probably just don't see the knots because I don't pay that much attention. But I think keeping my hair detangled and braided helps, as does regular dusting. I've no doubt if I wore my hair out more often, I'd be telling a different story.

I have this issue with knots all the time :nono:. I'll see them after I wear my hair in a wash n go for a few days, then go back to a rollerset.

I agree with Nonie, its just a characteristic of curly hair...it happens, we just clip them when we find them.

Knotting, from what I've read, is just a characteristic of our hair.
Hair Knotting
I'm sure I'm not exempt and probably just don't see the knots because I don't pay that much attention. But I think keeping my hair detangled and braided helps, as does regular dusting. I've no doubt if I wore my hair out more often, I'd be telling a different story.

I have this issue with knots all the time :nono:. I'll see them after I wear my hair in a wash n go for a few days, then go back to a rollerset.
I agree with Nonie, its just a characteristic of curly hair...it happens, we just clip them when we find them.

Maybe I overreacted when I saw them especially since I am transitioning. I will try my best to prevent them. If I find them I will just deal with them. thanks.

Janee, I think we might be hair twins! I was having the same problems. I got so frustrated that I did a half chop. I didn't want to lose my length, but life has been easier since I did it. The breakage and shedding was making me looney. I've been transitioning since August 1st.

Yeah, it's just a characteristic of our hair. I dust whenever I see them and I clip my ends every 6-7 months (only 1/2 an inch) that also helps. For the most part though, the knots are not that big of a deal:nono:

Janee, I think we might be hair twins! I was having the same problems. I got so frustrated that I did a half chop. I didn't want to lose my length, but life has been easier since I did it. The breakage and shedding was making me looney. I've been transitioning since August 1st.

Yes. We may be hair twins.

I actually did a mini chop a couple of months ago. About 3 or 4 few inches. My hair did become easier to handle. But now breakage has taken over.
I am going to start rollersetting. I may even try curlformers. Just pulling my hair back in a bun isn't working anymore. I get breakage even trying to do that after washing.

Yeah, it's just a characteristic of our hair. I dust whenever I see them and I clip my ends every 6-7 months (only 1/2 an inch) that also helps. For the most part though, the knots are not that big of a deal:nono:

thanks. I will have to get use to get use it.:yep:

I am in braids now and when I look at some of the hair that's sticking out from the braid (toward the end), I'm seeing these knots too. It's like the single strand of hair has literally tied itself into a knot. I'm sure I have many, many of these, but I assume they aren't damaging, and I plan on just leaving them alone, I guess...

Back