I am crushed...Major setback w/Alter Ego Linange

Miss Monae

ok...i have been self-relaxing @ home for over 10 years (off and on) and have not had any major problems in the past. I started using Alter Ego Linange relaxer (Lye) this year and have used it twice with no issues. Actually, I was loving on it something heavy.

Well, my 1st application i was 6 months post and used 3/4 of the jar (I have a very full head of hair) making sure to only apply to my NG. When my next application came around, i needed to order another jar. I started to use up the used jar and then move on to the new one, but at the time it was too much of a hassle. So for my 2nd application, I just used the newer jar (only using half). Mind you, I store my unused portion of relaxer in the fridge to extend the shelf life.

So, my 3rd application has come and i had enough to do a tough up between the two jars. I though it should be a no brainer since it is the exact same product. OH NO...i think I should have chucked both of them in the garbage because now i have major damage and I am very limited with styling. :wallbash: I waited a while to post this because my scalp was a total mess and embarrassment before and now It has gone through some initial healing.

I am crying on the inside because my name is especially damaged and that takes forever for me to get back on track. PLEASE BE CAUTIOUS when using leftover relaxer!!! See Pics Below.

Thankfully, i can sort of camouflage this and work my way to fixing it.

OK Ladies - please share your advice on how I overcome this. Thanks!

Attachments

• DSCN1195.jpg
    DSCN1195.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 464
  • DSCN1196.jpg
    DSCN1196.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 536
  • DSCN1197.jpg
    DSCN1197.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 478
  • DSCN1198.jpg
    DSCN1198.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 487
Aww, sweetie! I don't have any specific advice for overcoming relaxer damage as I've never been in this exact situation but I just wanted to give you a massive :grouphug3:

I know this has got to be rough but THANK YOU SO MUCH for posting - I'm sure you've just helped MANNNNNY current and new members avoid potential setbacks.

<<Hugs>> again doll. You'll get through it. :yep:

One more thing I wanted to point out. Although i have this setback, my hair is incredibly healthy and I am not discouraged because of the issue I am now dealing with. Here are pictures of my hair hiding the damaged areas.

Attachments

• DSCN1199.jpg
    DSCN1199.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 373
  • DSCN1202.jpg
    DSCN1202.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 330
Aww, sweetie! I don't have any specific advice for overcoming relaxer damage as I've never been in this exact situation but I just wanted to give you a massive :grouphug3:

I know this has got to be rough but THANK YOU SO MUCH for posting - I'm sure you've just helped MANNNNNY current and new members avoid potential setbacks.

Thanks Lexib - I was very discouraged but it has gotten much better. I definitely don't want anyone else experiencing the same thing I did :nono: and I appreciate the higs :grin:

I wish i was an expert but im not. Im concerned for the rest of your locks because if it did that to the nape your hair could start having other problems. It just wasnt burned out.
I know im preaching to the choir right ? * sorry*

I dont know what to tell you other than, pay attention to little hints your hair is giving you and dont be to proud or cheap to consult a true proffesional. They may can help.

Hugs

I'm sorry this happened to you. Are you sure you rinsed it out properly? That caused my hair to fall out badly one time.

Your hair looks great though. I wish my relaxer came out good like that.

I'm so sorry this happened to you!

Is alter ego lye or no lye? I'm asking this because you can't store no lye relaxer. You MUST throw away the unused portion.

sooooo sorry to hear this! i would definitely let your pores/scalp rest. the only thing that i have used for chemical burns is 100% aloe vera gel (make sure it's the 100% gel or juice from the plant). i would also consider mixing that with some olive oil. also, the herb calendula heals skins (research it and other healing herbs first). i would also look into shea butter or cocoa butter. but otherwise, i would really sit tight and let that area rest.

still thank you for sharing, you could have kept that on the low! but this way you have helped someone else -- me personally! i have some of that perm sealed and waiting to be used, so i shall definitely be using and discarding after use. it's not as expensive as others so i can purchase a new batch easily.

aubrey organics gpb is a good conditioner that not only strengthens the hair, but the scalp. also, i have heard that honey is good for burns, so check that out... take care of yourself and hhg! :rosebud:

I'm sorry this happened to you. Are you sure you rinsed it out properly? That caused my hair to fall out badly one time.

Girl........Loca........You Know I Know about alllll this!:perplexed

Is alter ego lye or no lye? I'm asking this because you can't store no lye relaxer. You MUST throw away the unused portion.

Both are Excellent Points!:grin:

Anyway, We're here for you!:grouphug:

And I am sure you will recover quickly!:hug2:

Stay Encouraged!

I wish i was an expert but im not. Im concerned for the rest of your locks because if it did that to the nape your hair could start having other problems. It just wasnt burned out.
I know im preaching to the choir right ? * sorry*

I dont know what to tell you other than, pay attention to little hints your hair is giving you and dont be to proud or cheap to consult a true proffesional. They may can help.

Hugs

Thanks Kat - I thought about that too. I experienced major scalp burns, itching and shedding. the itching and shedding has reduced, but the scabs were horrible. I was wondering if it was something i used other than the relaxer, but I am pretty minimal with my regimen these days. basically, it has been Giovanni products (Shampoo, Conditioner), Lacio Lacio and seal with Coconut Oil. I always tie my hair up at night and I don't saturate my hair with product. I just don't know...

Absolutely positive. I used the Neutralizing conditioner that they recommend 4 times, and even after that I used a neutralizing shampoo. i then conditioned and rinsed completely. I am one of those people who will waste water to make sure I get everything out. DH complains about it too. I honestly think it has something to do with the age of the relaxers...

It's Lye relaxer. I grew up on no-lye so I know the drill. I started using Lye relaxer this year as it has proved to be much better at giving great results.

I honestly think it has something to do with the age of the relaxers...

And Approximately....How Old Would You Say or Guesstimate they Were?:look:

I have a 4lb Tub of MBB (Lye) and I was wondering when I am going to have to pitch it? I think it has an expiration date of 2011?

I am not sure:perplexed

And Approximately....How Old Would You Say or Guesstimate they Were?:look:

I have a 4lb Tub of MBB (Lye) and I was wondering when I am going to have to pitch it? I think it has an expiration date of 2011?

I am not sure:perplexed

I ordered the 1st one in March of this year and the 2nd one in october. I don't have the containers anymore so I don't know the exact date. Maybe that was my error for not checking it. i feel so stupid :wallbash:

I am so, so sorry this happened to you but I wanted to say thank you for sharing. I self relaxed this month using the Mizani regular lye formula and had a lot left over. Initially, I thought it would keep in my hall closet b/c it is extremely cold. After reading your thread, I will purchased a new container when my relaxer time comes around just be be on the safe side.

sooooo sorry to hear this! i would definitely let your pores/scalp rest. the only thing that i have used for chemical burns is 100% aloe vera gel (make sure it's the 100% gel or juice from the plant). i would also consider mixing that with some olive oil. also, the herb calendula heals skins (research it and other healing herbs first). i would also look into shea butter or cocoa butter. but otherwise, i would really sit tight and let that area rest.

still thank you for sharing, you could have kept that on the low! but this way you have helped someone else -- me personally! i have some of that perm sealed and waiting to be used, so i shall definitely be using and discarding after use. it's not as expensive as others so i can purchase a new batch easily.

aubrey organics gpb is a good conditioner that not only strengthens the hair, but the scalp. also, i have heard that honey is good for burns, so check that out... take care of yourself and hhg! :rosebud:

Thanks for the advice. I have some 100% Aloe Gel in my stash (I use it for my skin) i will have to try this...

Thanks for the encouragement IDareT'sHair....I sure need it!

Girl, I lost 90% of my Hair December of 2008, and I was a weekly Client at a Salon!:blush:

Mine was from: Overprocessing, Doubleprocessing, Poor Neutralization and Overall Negligence.

I had Sores, Patches, and Falling Hair from December until about February:yep:.

And it Does Get Better. Just Pray Over Your Hair and Do what you Know to Do.

I am so, so sorry this happened to you but I wanted to say thank you for sharing. I self relaxed this month using the Mizani regular lye formula and had a lot left over. Initially, I thought it would keep in my hall closet b/c it is extremely cold. After reading your thread, I will purchased a new container when my relaxer time comes around just be be on the safe side.

Please do. I am usually one who likes to use what I have and steer away from overspending, but in this case I will definitely spend the extra cash as my hair is an investment.

IDareT'sHair....that is horrible. It sounds like you are no longer at that place so thank goodness you are here on LHCF! My goodness, i can't see why stylist are so negligent with how they process someone's hair. SMH

IDareT'sHair....that is horrible. It sounds like you are no longer at that place so thank goodness you are here on LHCF! My goodness, i can't see why stylist are so negligent with how they process someone's hair. SMH

Girl, She took my Hair, My Time and My Money for Granted.:look: I had Gone to her for about 5 years....:nono:

And I allowed that Mistreatment for Years. IK better now. I had been a Weekly Client at Someone's Salon for at least 25 years.:ohwell:

I found LHCF in Aprilof 2009 and Decided to become a DIY!:yep: My Technique isn't very good yet, but Thank God, I have piece of Mind.

Now whatever happens to my Hair, I am in control over it and not looking to someone else to 'fix it'.

Oh my....I am so sorry to hear this! In the past, I have been good for reusing leftover lye relaxer! I will never do it again! I have no doubt that your hair will grow back just fine, but please consider having a dermatologist look at your scalp. Hugs to you!

My advice is to GIVE UP THE RELAXER CHILE!!! Why in the world would anybody want to spend money putting something so harmful on their scalp that leaves you with scalp burns, thin, scraggly wet seal-like hair??? Give it up girl, you don't need relaxer to have "good hair" (an American term not used in England... :-/ ).

Natural til I die!!!

Why on gods earth do black women insist on doing so much harm to their hair, the beautiful hair we are born with? I just don't get it. Straight hair is not the be all and end all. Get over your straight hair, White woman idolising ways and start to appreciate the hair you were born with.

Natural til I die!!!

OP, is the ticker in your siggy correct? It indicates your last relaxer was one month and 3 days ago...has it really been four weeks between last relaxer and this one?

I would avoid relaxing the damaged areas for a while, give them a chance to heal and grow back in.

Back