How To's

Re: How To\'s

bump.gif

I love this thread! I think it would be great for some of the new members to see!

DSD, I've got a question for you (looking at your hair photos AGAIN, I'm starting to feel like a stalker!)
laugh.gif

Okay, my question is re: your bun using the donut. What did you do w/your ends? If I comb mine around the donut, they end up 'smushed' at the base and my ends are very adept at becoming crunchy if they are not treat very nicely. I can't quite figure this out, help!!!

TIA!

Your #1 hair fan!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
LaNecia said:
DSD, I've got a question for you (looking at your hair photos AGAIN, I'm starting to feel like a stalker!)
laugh.gif

Okay, my question is re: your bun using the donut. What did you do w/your ends? If I comb mine around the donut, they end up 'smushed' at the base and my ends are very adept at becoming crunchy if they are not treat very nicely. I can't quite figure this out, help!!!

TIA!

Your #1 hair fan!
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I will pm you! Thanks I feel so special having a #1 fan!
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
dontspeakdefeat said:
That's a great idea! Or you can just put it in your favorites.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks! - DUH! I am just now seeing that option!

Just wanted to post the Flat Twist directions I got this morning:

Flat Twist How-To

Jill C (of naturallycurly.com)
This was my favorite hairstyle while I was growing out my relaxer!

* The PART is the most important part.
Make sure it is VERY straight. I used a fine toothed comb for this (some call it a rat-tail)
* Once the part is straight (you can make the parts are wide or as close together as you like) but remember, the thicker your hair is and the bigger the section, the harder it is to twist
* (Time for the interactive demo) hold your index finger and thumb together as tight as you can (like you are trying to pick up a tiny object)
* Starting with the very front the the section of hair, grab the hair (as tight as you can ) with both "pinchers"
* You should be holding two tiny sections of hair in between the "pinchers"
* Twist one section over the other, TIGHTLY, when the top section is all the way over, hold it with your middle finger and twist more , then grab it with your free "pincher"
* continue twisting and pinching as tightly as you can until you are at the back of the section of hair. Twist a little farther than you want just in case a little bit becomes untwisted.
* Twist your hair, while holding it straight up just like you are screwing the top back on a jar of toothpaste. (again twist really tight)
FOR A "KNOT"
* twist the coil around itself into a small "knot"
* hold the knot in place as tight as you can with one hand. (close to the base of the flat twist for better hold power)
* take a hair pin (v shaped NOT a bobby pin)
and stick the open end in where your finger is . Now push towards the front of your head.
* Point the pin down and with it touches your scalp, dig it in the hair a little more and now push it back the other way (towards the back of your head) Sort of "digging in" to your scalp as much as you can without hurting yourself, (although sometimes it does hurt a little)
FOR A Clipped end:
At the end of the twist, twist the hair around itself and secure the hair with a tiny claw clamp. (I got mine from Sephora)

There, you should have a perfect flat twist!
Make sure all the twists on one side of your head are twisted to the same direction to keep a neat appearance.
The trick to nice flat twists is how tightly there are twisted and how securely they are held in place.

Here are some Knotty styles I found while surfing a site previously posted by Happylocks:

Knotty style 1
Divide clean, dry hair into 9 or more equal-size sections around the head and clip each section to hold. Working with 1 section at a time, twist the hair into a coil to form a fairly tight "knot." Keep twisting your hair until it starts to roll into itself. Continue twisting your hair loosely to form a spiral on top of your head. Use hairpins to hold each knot close to the scalp. Repeat for each section of hair. When you have completely pinned all the twists and knots use a good quality holding hairspray to guarantee hold. Add a sparkly hair pin or jewel to the top of the style or placed at the side.

Knotty style 2
The second example of a knotted/twisted look to have knots only at the back of the head as if like a bun keeping the edges loose. This style has a lot fewer knots and twists compared to the first style above. The knots are pinned around each other almost overlapping all the knots.

Knotty style3
In the third style of knotted/twisted hairstyle you have to use less number of knots and the knots should be placed unevenly scattered all over the head in no particular pattern. The knots and twists are of all different sizes and shapes and the front of the hair is not full.

Knotty style 4
In this style of knotty hairstyle tie a ponytail first leaving a few strands loose in front of the ponytail. Pin the ponytail into a soft bun. Then take the remaining hair, twist and pin. The knots are pinned right in front of the loose bun. In this style only a few knots and twists are used which are strategically placed in front of a messy bun.

Knotty style 5
In this style of knotty hairstyle you have to divide the hair in very neat sections which has to be well planned and drawn out. Once you know what you want start twisting each section from the bottom of your hair and knot it up at the front of the head. Create as specific design having all the knots properly pinned at the front of the head. Knotty Style 6 This style is for short hair. Make small knots at the top of the head and leave the rest of the hair loose. The knots will look a crown consisting of tine curls on the top of the head giving your hair more fullness.

Knotty style 6
This style is for short hair. Make small knots at the top of the head and leave the rest of the hair loose. The knots will look a crown consisting of tine curls on the top of the head giving your hair more fullness.

Pictures and instructions of these styles are found on Season India

Spagirl said:
Here are some direct links for those who are interested in headwraps and scarves for those occassional needs.

Around head wrap

Knot headwrap

Scarves for headband

headwrap instrutions 2

ETA, none of those links work. I got error messages. It takes me to the individual websites, but I get "file not found" or whatever messages. :(

Oooh, thanks. I was just looking for some instructions for scarves.

Last edited:
Back