How My High Porosity Hair Became Low Porosity

almond eyes

Dear Ladies,

It's been awhile since I gave updates on my hair.

I shaved in May 2014, not BC but shaved.

Before I had shaved, I had dyed my hair dark brown and then after my hair was about 2 inches I colored again.

I noticed that my hair became highly porous. The only time that my hair had become like this was when I was braiding my hair back to back with extensions about four years ago and that raised my cuticles causing it to become porous. But I didn't know that extension braids were doing that to my fine hair. I just assumed that my cuticles were just extremely porous.

Anyhow, I stopped using extension braids with this latest transition in May 2014. My hair has come a long way from ten parts, to eight, to seven, to six and now five parts or sections. I can now do a high pony puff.

Because the color was still on top of my hair my hair I considered to be highly porous it would dry within seconds and the texture was like wheat chaff even though I used moisture products. And I did everything to correct that. But nothing worked, ph products, etc etc. The solution was to dust and trim away the colored ends as my hair grew longer. That process took about almost 1 full year.

And now, my hair is low porosity. Now that has other issues to contend with but I prefer my hair to be low porosity even though I have to learn new things. I will never lift my fine hair again with another color even if it is by a professional.

I want to add one more thing that there are parts of my hair that are normal porosity. So it is a mix.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Last edited:

Kinky4Agirl

Thanks for sharing this OP. I was thinking of dying my hair blonde since I just did the big chop last week. Now after reading what you said I don't know about it. I'm glad to be natural again but not sure if I want to turn around and possibly confuse my hair's porosity with color.

nothidden

TeamNatural95-Fractals/Zigzags
As much as I'd like to color, I don't want to alter my hair in such a way that I'll have to chop to get rid of it. I don't even want to blow dry my hair for fear of heat damage. I've been working on this hair for 2 yrs. I'd prefer no setbacks.

MahogonyCurls and others have added makeup to add a twinge of color for highlights. Think I'm afraid to do anything else.

almond eyes

And I also believe that the same head of hair can have different porosities depending on what your hair has been through. Like my hair still has some areas that are high porosity from the color I am slowly trimming off, I have about two more inches to hack off.

Best,
Almond Eyes