Fine hair, very low porosity

ajoke

I have been on my healthy hair journey for two years now, and I have only just gotten round to doing a porosity test on my hair ( the hair in a glass of water test). My hair did not sink at all. I also have very fine strands, especially at the front of my head. No wonder I have not really retained much hair in the last one year. I have been using porosity control sporadically and now I finally know why it didn't work for me. I also understand why my retention was better when I was relaxed
Does anyone know someone with fine non porous natural hair who has managed to retain length. I would like to find a god regimen to follow. TIA.

On Curly Nikki blog there was a series called SO FINE. You can find information there.

Also what is your relationship with protein? Are you using it and how much? What have you noticed after using protein?

Also what kind of way do you normally wear your hair?

ajoke, I'm not sure I follow why low porosity should be a bad thing w/r/t retaining length. Low porosity hair just takes a while for moisture to penetrate but once it does, it retains it. Also low porosity could mean you have an intact cuticle since hair gets porous when the cuticle is stripped away. I understand about the hair being fine can be a "handicap" of sorts, but there are some fine-haired ladies on the forum with long hair--so better, more gentle haircare and less manipulation may be something you need enhanced.

I agree with Nonie. I have low porosity and I have no problem retaining hair growth. I was almost waistlenght when I BC'ed in January.

ajoke--so better, more gentle haircare and less manipulation may be something you need enhanced.

this....

OP I have fine, low porosity hair. In my journey I learned that I have to infuse moisture in by steaming, or DCing overnight, but before doing all of that my hair must be clarified weekly, nothing can get in the way of that moisture, I can even get away with using castile soap or baking soda treatments if I want my cuticles somewhat lifted before moisture treatments...

Now the breakage issue sounds like you may be physically doing too much manipluation. Keeping my hair stretched with twist and braids outs has kept splits and single strands knots at bay, it also enables my hair to take moisture better...When it comes to detangling before putting any kind of tool to your hair make sure you finger detangle first!!!, I found that dry detagnling, using my fingers only made my hair flourish and retain....My theory when it comes to this is, they say hair gets weaker when wet, right?...so imagine how weak fine strands would be while being combed under water?...

I'll post my regemin in a few

hello!! it is possible to retain hair. I had issues with dryness every since I cut my dreadlocks off and I couldn't understand. I was doing the water spritz sealing with oil, I tried co=washing to only end up with a dry mess. What has worked for ME was to reduce water, meaning I had hard water. I first started out using a leave in condition with low cones and sealed with oil at first and I noticed a huge difference. Then I tweaked my regimen from there.

Currently, I use Kimmaytube leave in. I don't measure but I use the aloe vera juice for pH, castor oil and sometimes I add grapeseed oil and mix it up. I make sure I use it daily to keep my hair moist . I wash with shampoo weekly but only with a pre-poo to keep my hair from being stripped and I oil wash, condish and finish up with the leave in. It has worked wonders for my dry hair because I suffered with dry hair for atleast 2 years.

Hawaiian Sillky 14:1 was another good one for me sealed with oil but it has glycerin so summer months would work best if you decide to try it.

ETA: the steam from the shower helps with initial moisture too. Sometimes I use my damp or wet hands and rub down my hair and when I am out I use my leave in to help lock in the moisture. Also, low manipulation is the key too.
I hope this helps! Hang in there!!

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies ladies. I guess I need to use my steamer more. I had a weave as a protective style for a few months and it just seems like the breakage is more since taking it put. Maybe I need to use a bit of protein. The reason I am confused about the low porosity is I am not sure whether people with low porosity hair can use protein or whether that would prevent the absorption of moisture. I find twistouts and braidouts increase tangling and breakage on my ends. Maybe I need a trim......

Update ladies: I gave myself a merciless chop as I found out that I had tons of splits of every kind. Then I put my hair in braids in may. Just took those braids out an have had better retention this time. I have just done a cassia treatment and am sitting under my steamer dcing with AO White camellia conditioner as I type this.
I plan on putting in braids in a week or two. But low manipulation seems to be the key.

Back