HOw do you roller set?

Amarech

I've never done it but I'd like to try.

I don't have anything; no rollers, no dryer, no skills.

is it true that' roller setting is better than blow drying?
I currently blow dry with a round brush and then flat iron

hey after washing and deep conditioning i apply a generous amount of lottabody setting lotion evenly throughout my hair, i use magnetic rollers and the silver clamps, it usually takes about 1.5-2 hours to dry under a hood dryer. it also very easy to part the hair with a rat tail comb

hope that helps

i use plastic rollers and bobby pins from sally's beauty.

they are special made to not "pull/tag" your hair. i would loose hair whenever i pulled the metal clips out of the roller. it's 4 bucks for 75 and well worth. they're also much more comfortable than the silver clips and don't leave the "clip mark" on your hair. i never use setting lotion because it tends to make my hair hard and i prefer soft curls.

rollersetting is a great way to style and save big on the salon. with practice your be a pro in no time!

Taij said:
I've never done it but I'd like to try.

I don't have anything; no rollers, no dryer, no skills.

it true that' isroller setting is better than blow drying?
I currently blow dry with a round brush and then flat iron
OMG yes. My hair is sooo much healthier looking since Ive stopped blowdrying and started rollersetting. And my ends look better, too.:cool:

I use mesh rollers and pins from sally's beauty supply.

In terms of health, my stylist has said that my hair is thicker and healthier in recent months and I know thats due to no longer blow drying and flat ironing on a weekly basis.

SweetCaramel1 said:
i use plastic rollers and bobby pins from sally's beauty.

they are special made to not "pull/tag" your hair. i would loose hair whenever i pulled the metal clips out of the roller. it's 4 bucks for 75 and well worth. they're also much more comfortable than the silver clips and don't leave the "clip mark" on your hair. i never use setting lotion because it tends to make my hair hard and i prefer soft curls.

rollersetting is a great way to style and save big on the salon. with practice your be a pro in no time!

Sweetcaramel...what do these bobby pins look like?

I learned to rollerset in beauty school, before I dropped out. :lol:

The key is to make your sections the right size. I do this by using the roller to measure. For that first "mohawk" as macherieamour describes, hold your roller (the long way) to the center of your forhead. The ends are where you'll make your parts front to back on each side. Then, use the end of the roller (stand it on end and place it on your scalp) to section each part. I usually end up with 6 gray rollers going back in a mohawk. The sides can be done in 2-3 sections per side. Keep using the roller to measure the parts.

Here's a couple of other great threads with lots of tips:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=7178
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=1204

I strongly recommend practicing roller sets on dry hair. That way you can part sections, try different size rollers, adjust tension, etc. without over-manipulating your wet hair. Good luck!

Last edited:
Back