how do you REALLY heat-deep condition your hair?

sephora

ok, this is what i don't get (i came to the epiphany last night): do you guys...

(1) hop in the shower
(2) wash your hair, rinse, wash again
(3) wash your body
(4) apply protein conditioner of choice
(5) then get out of the freakin' shower
(6) dry off, apply a heat cap (or sit under a home-dryer)
(7) then hop back into the freakin' shower
(8) rinse out protein, then apply moisturing conditioner
(9) rinse out after 5 min, then hop out of the shower again
(10) dry off and dry hair and then apply leave-in?

you have GOT to be kidding?!
shocked.gif

(1) aren't you guys PRUNES by the end of this process?
(2) does it take you like 3 hours from the time you started to the time you finish styling?
(3) don't you get sick of this?!

do tell. i'm so curious.
ohwell.gif

It depends...

Yesterday...I conditioner washed my hair in the kitchen sink...applied my deep conditioning conditioner...put on a plastic cap...spritzed a towel with water...put it in the microwave to get hot...wrapped my head with it...watched "Surivor"...took my evening shower and rinsed it out....

Many times...on my days off...I jump in the shower...condition wash my hair...apply deep condtioning treatment...put on a plastic cap...wrapped my head with a decorative scarf (especially if I have to go out)....cleaned my house...ran errands...then take an evening shower and rinsed out the conditioner...

It's all a matter of timing for me.

I do occasionally sit under the dryer...but I like the freedom of adding a hot towel...or conditioning all day...and still being mobile. Dryers...are for me...a real pampering event...that means I am doing my nails, eyebrows, reading, watching a good movie...all while I am sitting under the dryer.

That's my routine exactly!!!! It takes me about two hours total and I do get fed up with it. Far better for me to do it this way than to wash my hair over the sink. Then, I would have a mess that'll take an hour or more to detangle.
smile.gif

I just wash in the sink, then rinse my hair in the shower. Then I and put lotion on as soonas I get out. I know that I would break out if I let my skin dry out by jumpiing in and out of the shower.

Yep Sephora!!! You're not confused in the slightest! That's EXACTLY the way I do it! For me, it's my self pampering time, so I don't mind getting in and out of the shower, and in and out of the dryer, etc. It's one of my ONLY times for myself! That and working out (which I've been so bad lately it's ridiculous and I've gained 7 pounds!!! :-() But yes, my self-pampering time is my treat to myself! Because I'm worth all the fuss....Tee Hee! :)

Hey...........why don't my icon graemlins work??? I can't get them to work! Help!

I used to do what you described above. But now I precondition.
I apply my conditioner, put on a plastic cap, and let it *marinate* for a few hours or sit under a heating cap for 15-30 mins.
Get in the shower to rinse & shampoo,
Get out the shower to apply instant conditioner
Get back in the shower *scrub*
Then do an overall rinse from head to toe!

Takes me about 45 minutes--'cause I watch'TV while I'm in the bathroom!

1)First I jump in the shower and shampoo with Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo and Pantene Hydrating Curls Shampoo.
2)Then, I get out of the shower and apply Lekair Cholesterol Strengthening and Conditioning Creme in four sections. I place a plastic cap over my head and leave for 40 minutes to an hour.
3)Then I jump back in the shower and rinse out the Lekair and then I apply Pantene Hydrating Curls Conditioner.
4)Next, I wash my body while the Pantene sits on my hair for a bit.
5). Then I rinse out the Pantene conditioner, wash my body again, and get out of the shower.
6) Then it's detangling and styling time!

Yes, taking care of my hair is a job that I absoulutely love. It's like Cocoacure said, it's pampering time for me.

I'm glad you brought this up because it is a bit of a dilemna for me. I usually apply my deep conditioner in the shower, put on a plastic cap, finish my shower, go sit at the computer with my heat cap plugged in for 20-30 minutes, dink around the house for a while, then rinse my hair upside down in the tub.
I'm natural so I don't do the protein/moisturize thing. I sometimes have a hard time detangling my hair after rinsing it this way, but I don't wanna get back in the shower after I've put on my lotion and everything. Besides, I have dry skin and too many warm showers dries it out more. I've thought about trying to put the conditoner on before getting in the shower and then rinsing while I shower, but....oh well. I still haven't got a good plan together.

Wow, you guys really are dedicated, cuz I can't do that jumping in & out of the shower thing!!
nono.gif

I do all my washing & conditioning in the kitchen sink; it's so, so much more convenient, and detangling is really not that bad!! (you just have to use the right products!!)

LOL!:D You're post is funny!

Here's my routine:
1. Wash my hair, clean body, jump out of shower.
2. Wrap towel around hair to soak up excess water, then apply deep conditioner (I think that it "soaks" in better).
3. Apply "two" plastic caps, get under dryer on medium to high heat for 20 - 30 minutes.
4. Jump back in shower, rinse hair, apply moisturizing conditioner for a few minutes to help moisturize and detangle, then rinse.

If I'm particularly lazy and I don't feel like going thru the above, I'll wash my hair at night, apply conditioner, use two plastic caps, tie head with a scarf and sleep with it overnite. I used to apply Apple Cider Vinegar AFTER the shampoo process and BEFORE the conditioner, but as usual laziness got the better of me. I may try it again.
cool.gif

Next year I'm going to invest in some professional hair steamers like they have in the salon. Here are links to a few:

http://www.ibbe.net/pd_30h200a.cfm
http://www.beautycentury.com/mall/resultform.asp?SKU=2505&MS_SKU=
http://www.daytonabeauty.com/cat_dryer_chair.cfm

The best thing I could have done was buy a bath robe....this way I dont have to dry my skin off...I jump in the shower, wash my hair whether is a conditioner wash or a shampoo...rinse throw my robe on...by this time the dryer is on and heating up. I apply my conditioner and my plastic cap go under the dryer for 20 minutes and then do whatever chores I have i.e cooking or dishes which is another 30 minutes to an hour and then I hop back in the shower and rinse. I dont duse dryers9only for deep conditioning) so its pretty easy from there on. I just apply what I need to apply and then slick my hair back. which by the way is giving me great results.

I do mine just like jetcitygirl does.
smile.gif
ChocoKitty, I like yours. I'll have to remember to try that sometime.

I'ts funny because I always wondered how people do this but I was scared to ask - son't want anyone to think I am trying to have fantasies about their shower habits.
laugh.gif

I lather up in the sink. Apply protein if I'm using that and leave it in for a half and hour to an hour. Then I rinse in the sink - but I don't pull a comb through at that point - I just apply mositurizing conditioner and leave it in again for another half to an hour. THEN I get in the shower, rinse the moisturizing conditioner - NO COMB YET - apply detangling conditioner/cream rinse, wash up, THEN COMB THRU (by which point my hair is buttery) using the force of the water from the shower.

This is only when I'm using protein at home tho. ANd when I do that I only do it on Sundays. Sundays is my "love me" day, so I'm usually listening to music, reading magazines and applying a face mask - you know, girl stuff.
laugh.gif

If I'm not using protein I will either use the same method but just skip the protein OR hop in and out of the shower - once to wash and condition and then one more time to rinse. But that's only if I have something else to do in the shower like shaving, using a body scrub - I like to multitask in the shower
laugh.gif

LOL!!! This post is funny. I thought it was just me that did all of that jumping in and out of the shower. I only do that once a week, like on a Sunday since I work the club on the weekends...gotta get ALL of that smoke out of my hair before I start my regular work week. Monday through Friday, I just condition wash my hair while I'm in the shower, but Sunday is the day I take my time and pamper my hair. IT's a lot of work, but since I love the results...it's so worth it.

JADA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG THANK YOU for posting those steamer links. I've been looking everywhere for a reasonably priced one and that $150 one is the one I KNEW I'd seen but couldn't find!

kiss.gif

Girl you've made my day!
grin.gif

Going to buy my steamer....

this is so funny...i was wondering the same thing.good thread
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, you guys really are dedicated, cuz I can't do that jumping in & out of the shower thing!!

[/ QUOTE ] me neither

I don't anymore and even when I did, I used the sink or tub faucet for rinsing. I found out that heat and extra time on the hair does not increase absorption or improve hair texture.

Wow. everybody's regimen is so tedious. No wonder everyone on here has beautiful healthy hair.

As for me I add my oils and pure aloe vera (str8 from the plant) to my hair and massage for one minute. Then I put on a shower cap, and a hat over this and then go walking for one hour (this creates heat). I come back home and do my CO wash then put it in a bun. How easy is that?!

I know this is strange but it seems as if the only reason why I exercise is to wash my hair. No wonder i lost so much weight.

I did my hair last night and this is what I did: I got in the shower, washed my hair, rinsed shampoo, applied protein conditioner, put on cap, washed my body and face, rinsed conditioner, applied moisturizing conditioner, put on cap, got out of shower, dried off and lotioned body, kept conditioner in for 15 minutes, then rinsed. When I rinsed out the conditioner, I didn't get back in the shower, I just leaned over the bathtub. My hair looks and feels good too. I'm in my 7th week post-relaxer but my hair is still manageable.

you guys are so dedicated...my hair must get the Pinto of routines
rofl.gif
i wash in the sink, keep my head upside down and pat it dry, apply deep conditioner with my head still leaned over(so my hair doesn't tangle, put my plastic cap on while i'm leaned over and go watch tv for about 20 minutes. Then i lean back over the sink, rinse my hair, run the comb thru it while the water runs thru it, pat it dry and detangle it while it is still flipped upside down,which is normally pretty easy cause i've had my hair in one direction the whole time
smile.gif
then i blowdry. I know i sound like a bat, but it works and i get it done within an hour.

I do all of the crazy jumping in and out of the shower, but I have a nice Terrycloth robe that I jump in and out of during this time
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Natori24 said:
Why do use two plastic caps, jada111?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because I remember a poster from the real old Longhaircareforum from 2002 saying how she uses 4 or 5 plastic caps, plus scarf and leaves them on overnite for a "steam" affect. Since I can't afford a steamer right now, I've been doing the same thing just with less caps.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Tracy said:
JADA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG THANK YOU for posting those steamer links. I've been looking everywhere for a reasonably priced one and that $150 one is the one I KNEW I'd seen but couldn't find!

kiss.gif

Girl you've made my day!
grin.gif

Going to buy my steamer....

[/ QUOTE ]

Ohhhh, you're welcome Tracey!
drunk.gif

Hair steamers are expensive, aren't they?
shocked.gif
Other than steam the conditioner into my hair I don't know what else to do with them.

[ QUOTE ]
Lindy said:
nono.gif

I do all my washing & conditioning in the kitchen sink; it's so, so much more convenient, and detangling is really not that bad!! (you just have to use the right products!!)

[/ QUOTE ]
I am with you on this one LINDY.
laugh.gif

Anky thats good multitasking! I've wanted to do some sort of pretreatment before going to the gym (having the whole plastic cap thing hidden under a scarf), but I have this phobia that I'd leave oily splotches everywhere or it'd drip down my neck, or something embarrassing like that
perplexed.gif

Here's my two cents. Anybody use gloves to prevent your hands from turning into prunes? I use the nonlatex kind sold at Sally's. Works great.

[ QUOTE ]
jada1111 said:
[ QUOTE ]
Natori24 said:
Why do use two plastic caps, jada111?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because I remember a poster from the real old Longhaircareforum from 2002 saying how she uses 4 or 5 plastic caps, plus scarf and leaves them on overnite for a "steam" affect. Since I can't afford a steamer right now, I've been doing the same thing just with less caps.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that might have been me, giving props to Mahalia Lee for her Nightly Moisture Treatment for wraps. But you have to remember to take off the caps before you sleep (you leave them on anywhere from 1 to 3 hours) so your hair will have time to completely dry, which is key. It's amazing how swingy and bouncy my hair is the next day.
smile.gif
I like to use 3 or 4 showercaps when I deep condition, covered with a towel, but don't get under the dryer; it definitely intensifies the moisture (I guess the layers trap the heat from my scalp better).
smile.gif

my deep condition routine is...( i do this 2 times a week)

when i get in the house on dry hair i apply a mixture of lekair cholesterol and VO5 starwberries & cream and i spray my entire head( this has really done wonders for my hair..when i had a relaxer..when in braids..and now as i transition)...let it sit for about an hour..do my usual stuff..unwind w/ a lil s. carter black album...watch tv...eat...ect.

then i take it to the sink and wash my hair there..i have a sink attachment that comes off so it is do-able...then i apply my shampoo( if it is a shampoo day if not skip that step)...wash thoroughly and add my LUST let that sit for an hour or 2( under a heat cap if nec)
...talk on the phone..check email ect.

then finally after i have done all that i needed to do for that day and it times to go shower..i hop in the shower wash the conditioner out...and call it a day..
get out of the shower spray my hair with leave-in loose pony tail/braid it up and to bed i go...

Back