Hi from an old newbie (pic heavy)

jupitermoon

Summer of 2007 I decided to wear my hair natural and un- straightened. I’m physically active and sweat a lot. I got sick of going to the beauty shop every two weeks and getting my hair straightened just to work out the next day and mess it up again. I wanted to take care of my hair. My last relaxer was May 2006. Since then, I've had multiple trims and I finally got the last of my relaxed ends cut off in May.

I want to thank lhcf. I’ve learned so much. My hair is thriving.

Here are some pics my brother took of my hair this afternoon. This is 2.5 day hair. I last co washed Tuesday night and left a little bit of conditioner in for moisture. I don’t know what my hair type is. What is my hair type? I have mostly s-curls of varying sizes:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

My hair is around waist length but shrinks up to slightly above my bra strap. I’m not bothered by shrinkage:
picture.php

Last edited:
beautiful hair! congratulations on going completely natural. you are clearly doing a great job of taking care of it.

Thank you everyone for the compliments. :) This website has helped me a lot. Here’s the routine that I’ve developed over the past two years:

I used to co wash daily. Now I’m lazy. :) I only co wash every 2-3 days. I only comb my hair wet with conditioner and I do not rinse all of my conditioner out. I finger comb. Sometimes I’ll use my Sally’s seamless comb and very rarely do I use my denman brush. I sleep with my hair in one braid at night.

Very rarely do I shampoo my hair. That’s why I try to avoid conditioners that have difficult to remove cones in them. I tried the curly girl routine but it wasn’t for me. My hair loves and needs cones. Conditioners I use are: Pantene relaxed and natural, Herbal Essence in the blue bottle, and Aussie Moist. These conditioners do not have a lot of cones in them and the cones found in them are easy to remove. Sometimes I’ll use vo5 (cone free). For shampoo, I use Nature’s Gate but only in my scalp. I never use rubber bands in my hair, sometimes use hair ties/scrunchies, and sometimes wear a hair zing.

I try to make my routine as simple as possible. Less is more for my hair.

Beautiful hair! What was your starting length?

My starting length was slightly above bra strap straightened. It was about the length of my unstretched natural in the pics above but it was straight. If I had worn it natural it probably would have been around shoulder length or perhaps even a little shorter.

Prior to finding this website the longest my hair had ever been was slightly below bra strap--and that was when I was 14 years old. I never thought my hair could grow to waist and almost tailbone length.

Back