HELP! travel hair...!!!

LivingDol1

i'm going to asia for 12 days for work.... i have NO clue what to do with my hair! this is my first extended trip where i will not be wearing braids.

the rollersetting challenge is over before i leave... so i am tempted to bring the blow dryer with me...

i cannot wash and air dry my hair. it tangles and breaks after 2 washes in a row. detangling is hell on earth.

i am tempted to get braids. but i only wear individuals. i don't like the look for cornrows for myself and i think they look unprofessional.

what do you ladies do for long trips?

msa

Generally, I'm in braids for long trips but 12 days isn't all that long.

I'd just braid my own hair up and buy a half wig and wear that. It will definitely look good the whole way through and you won't have to worry about your own hair. And, they're pretty cheap.

LivingDol1

Generally, I'm in braids for long trips but 12 days isn't all that long.

I'd just braid my own hair up and buy a half wig and wear that. It will definitely look good the whole way through and you won't have to worry about your own hair. And, they're pretty cheap.

thanks. i don't really think half wigs work for me. i've purchased a few and they just looked too fake while on or they were too full looking in comparison to my own hair. plus i felt nervous wearing them. like it was going to fall off or something. lol.

Dommo

I never really change up my hair for a trip unless i know I am going to be swimming. I bring my shampoo, conditioner and styling appliances if i need to wash my hair. If I do plan on swimming or being in a wet area, than I add some curly hair (usually a lace front worn behind the hair line or a straight lace wig with a bang)

msa

thanks. i don't really think half wigs work for me. i've purchased a few and they just looked too fake while on or they were too full looking in comparison to my own hair. plus i felt nervous wearing them. like it was going to fall off or something. lol.

Well since it's only 12 days can't you just rollerset or flat iron before you leave and wear it the whole time? As long as where you're going isn't rainy or super humid it should last.

I just think bringing a half wig with you is a good idea for just in case moments you know? It's not like anyone there is going to it's fake.

LivingDol1

Well since it's only 12 days can't you just rollerset or flat iron before you leave and wear it the whole time? As long as where you're going isn't rainy or super humid it should last.

I just think bringing a half wig with you is a good idea for just in case moments you know? It's not like anyone there is going to it's fake.

i can't be on a trip and not wash my hair for 12 days. humid or not, that's not going to work.

i guess i'll just blow dry my hair... unless anyone can recommend a hair salon in hong kong that knows how to handle AA hair. highly unlikely. i have 2 free weekends there.

LivingDol1

You can always just bun it or put it in a ps.

i'm not concerned about styling. i'm concerned about how i'm going to maintain clean hair and what process i will use to dry it. i can't air dry and bun for 2 weeks straight. it will wreck my hair.

i know i'm not the only person on this entire forum who travels! and i'm not the only person who refuses to resort to wet bunning.

hoping to get some more suggestions preferably from relaxed heads who don't like air drying.

Divine Inspiration

OP what about a braidout or twistout? I make efforts to plan styles that don't require appliances when I'm traveling. I agree with msa...12 days is manageable. I just came off of a 23 day run that required some creativity. :lol: If you've got the space, pack your appliances & go for it. I just prefer to use space for other things and just pack a detangling comb and products.

ETA: Just saw your last post. I'm not a relaxed head, but I do travel 1-2x/month so I know what you're saying. Since you don't like airdrying, I say buy a travel size ceramic blowdryer with a retractable cord and take what you need to get the style you want.

Dommo

i can't be on a trip and not wash my hair for 12 days. humid or not, that's not going to work.

i guess i'll just blow dry my hair... unless anyone can recommend a hair salon in hong kong that knows how to handle AA hair. highly unlikely. i have 2 free weekends there.

I went to Hong Kong last year. Don't let them touch your hair :lachen: .... My stylist here is Asian and he's the best but there aren't that many black people in Hong Kong (it's not like Japan) I would advise you to just do it yourself unless you find a BW or someone with textured hair who lives there that can recommend a place.

Ballerina_Bun

i'm going to asia for 12 days for work.... i have NO clue what to do with my hair! this is my first extended trip where i will not be wearing braids.

the rollersetting challenge is over before i leave... so i am tempted to bring the blow dryer with me...

i cannot wash and air dry my hair. it tangles and breaks after 2 washes in a row. detangling is hell on earth.

i am tempted to get braids. but i only wear individuals. i don't like the look for cornrows for myself and i think they look unprofessional.

what do you ladies do for long trips?

I don't do anything different. I take with me what I use at home. Get an egyptian blowout. That will last you 2 weeks, if you don't mind you scalp frying :nono::lachen: My hair was beautiful for 2 weeks. I'm scared to go back though.

LivingDol1

I don't do anything different. I take with me what I use at home. Get an egyptian blowout. That will last you 2 weeks, if you don't mind you scalp frying :nono::lachen: My hair was beautiful for 2 weeks. I'm scared to go back though.

i've never heard of an egyptian blow out... what makes it so different from others?

i don't know how anyone can go more than 7 days without washing their hair. i simply can't. 5 days is my max. it doesn't matter if i do my hair myself or get it done at the salon.

thanks for your response. i'll be bringing my blow dryer along. not sure i can find a travel size that has the comb attachment... maybe i'll buy a nice one for home and bring my current one which is a cheapie.

Ballerina_Bun

i've never heard of an egyptian blow out... what makes it so different from others?

i don't know how anyone can go more than 7 days without washing their hair. i simply can't. 5 days is my max. it doesn't matter if i do my hair myself or get it done at the salon.

thanks for your response. i'll be bringing my blow dryer along. not sure i can find a travel size that has the comb attachment... maybe i'll buy a nice one for home and bring my current one which is a cheapie.

I don’t know what makes it different. An Egyptian lady suggested I go to her hairdresser (an Egyptian man) to get an Egyptian Blowout, because I always liked her hair. Her texture was similar to my hair in its natural state, but with this blowout it was bone straight without a relaxer.

There were no rollersets like a Dominican blowout. He just washed and conditioned my hair and blew out the roots and length with EXTREME heat. It seemed like the nozzle was pointing towards my scalp for minutes at a time. But afterwards, I had swing, bounce and softness like never before, but my scalp was traumatized though …lol

I normally would not go so long without washing my hair, but it was just so beautiful and “swingy” that I did not want to ruin it. And after all the pain I went through getting it done, I was not about to wash it out … lol