abercrombie and fitch (hollister) hair policy racist??

ButtaSmooth

But we are the only ones who actually "need" it. It is not just a style, for me at least, it is a requirement for my hair to protect it. No cornrows means I can't braid my hair and its too hot for wigs :ohwell:

I don't think that we (black women or men) "need" to wear our hair in any particular way. Some of us "choose" to wear braids as a PS. There are other protective styles to consider. Wigs, buns, phony ponies are just some examples. If you choose to work there then you conform to what their ideal employee would look like. If not, you wear your braids and risk reprimand or simply find different store to work in.

Vashti

I read very negative things about the president of that company so I was never interested in working there. Having said that, it probably depends on each individual store and the attitude of the particular supervisor(s) working there. Some may not mind braids others may dislike them. Maybe you need to find a different A&F store to apply to?

BomBShell♥

In THIS case I do think it's probably racism. But other places have no cornrows policies too.

I was a hooter girl and you weren't allowed to wear braids or cornrows there either, BUT the main policy was you couldn't wear your hair up in any way, it had to be loose. There was a girl with a Big ol afro there.

I've also heard from friends who work at various bars and lounges that they can't wear cornrows, but I think it's just on the same tip as hooters, like the free flowin hair is more 'feminine' and will ultimately attract more dudes and sell more beer... ::shrug::
awww im a hooters girl too!

justcurious

Exactly to both.

I'm beyond sick of this same rehashed story (just replace the store). Do people not get EVERY SINGLE STORE has an image and preference about their workers????? Whether you like it or not, they have target audiences. The sales associate is a representative of the store. Simple as that.

What exactly is that suppose to mean and why state whether or not you like it???:look:

Then it shouldn't surprise you when certain people get up in arms and complain about a businesses practices when they don't like it. I don't understand defending a company with blatant discriminatory overtones-unless this an issue that misses one on a personal note.:look::drunk:

Any business that wants to thrive targets all audiences.

LittleLuxe

What exactly is that suppose to mean and why state whether or not you like it???:look:

Then it shouldn't surprise you when certain people get up in arms and complain about a businesses practices when they don't like it. I don't understand defending a company with blatant discriminatory overtones-unless this an issue that misses one on a personal note.:look::drunk:

That's not true, there are many thriving successful businesses that target only specific audiences. Everything from Forever 21 to Herbal Essences. Most businesses are founded on catering to a specific group and if all goes well with expansion THEN they begin to look at other audiences.

Perfect example is Pantene, they were not targeting (and many would say still aren't) black women for 20+ years. if your hair worked nicely with their products - great, but you were not their target audience.

justcurious

That's not true, there are many thriving successful businesses that target only specific audiences. Everything from Forever 21 to Herbal Essences. Most businesses are founded on catering to a specific group and if all goes well with expansion THEN they begin to look at other audiences.

Perfect example is Pantene, they were not targeting (and many would say still aren't) black women for 20+ years. if your hair worked nicely with their products - great, but you were not their target audience.

The bolded proved my point.

As far as the Pantene situation goes, they are just now beginning to target AA hair unsuccessfully because they realize how much money AA women spend on their hair but they can't compete with other lines. Which is different situation from A&F.