Beware the Satin Cap???

balisi

I have been wearing a satin cap to bed virtually every night for longer than I can remember. Recently, however, I noticed short hairs in the very front center of my hairline, in the very spot that the cap's elastic would be resting by the time I awoke. :eek: These hairs are distinguishable from my actual hairline, so I know that they're not "baby hair." I have since stopped wearing satin caps to bed, opting for a satin pillowcase instead. Has anyone else had the same problem?

Yes, I have. I remedied this by first putting a silk scarf on and then following with the bonnet if I needed it to maintain the style (sometimes I tie the top portion down and leave the back "hanging" under a bonnet to avoid wrapping).

I did notice that when I applied moisture to the hairline before putting the bonnet on, I didn't have this issue. But I opted to go with the scarf+bonnet since it seemed safer to me. I can't stand for my temples/hairline to thin. :ohwell:

balisi said:
I have been wearing a satin cap to bed virtually every night for longer than I can remember. Recently, however, I noticed short hairs in the very front center of my hairline, in the very spot that the cap's elastic would be resting by the time I awoke. :eek: These hairs are distinguishable from my actual hairline, so I know that they're not "baby hair." I have since stopped wearing satin caps to bed, opting for a satin pillowcase instead. Has anyone else had the same problem?

Yeah I used to have this problem. That's why I got the satin scarfs so that I can wrap them around my hair line the way I like. I haven't notice any breakage since using the satin scarfs.

Ya know, I have been noticeing lately that the front of my hair has been breaking off also. I didn't even suspect my satin cap, I thought that it was my flat twist. Thanks for pointing this out. Now I just have to find a safe alternative.

I don't wear mine directly on my hair line. I have a big forehead anyway, so I usually let mine come down further on my head. I never really thought of a satin bonnet causing that problem, but I know in the past I experienced hairline problems because of wearing a scarf at night. Maybe it's just best to let your hair have a break every now and then by wearing it up at night and just sleeping on a satin pillowcase.

Divine Inspiration said:
Yes, I have. I remedied this by first putting a silk scarf on and then following with the bonnet if I needed it to maintain the style (sometimes I tie the top portion down and leave the back "hanging" under a bonnet to avoid wrapping).

I did notice that when I applied moisture to the hairline before putting the bonnet on, I didn't have this issue. But I opted to go with the scarf+bonnet since it seemed safer to me. I can't stand for my temples/hairline to thin. :ohwell:
I do this too, or turn the cap inside out so the elastic doesn't rub against my hairline.

I haven't had this happen and hopefully won't. I wear mine on my forehead and not directly on my hairline. Whenever I wear my satin scarf I end up wakeing all night putting it on 2 or 3x's, and still wake up and can't find the scarf, thank God I sleep on a satin pillow case, my back up.;)

I had noticed a wee bit of breakage in the front of my hair then I stopped using the satin cap. I use the satin scarf now (I'm just realizing that they are totally different). Sometimes I go to bed without one on because I feel that satin pillowcase is more than enough. :)

Divine Inspiration said:

I do that, too (satin scarf or du-rag + satin cap)! :yep: I've noticed that I'm retaining more hair this way. :drunk:

I turn it inside out too, but I try to limit wearing the caps too much. I actually don't know where it is right now. lol

Yes I just recently discovered this problem. I had a short broken patch in the top center of my forehead and it's very hard to hide.

I would always wake up with my hair line exposed meaning it had been thrashed around thaose cotton pillowcases during the night. Instead I use a hair net and a silk scarf.

Thanks for the suggestions, ladies. I never thought of wearing the cap inside out. I had tried just tying my hairline down with a scarf before putting on the cap, but I would often end up with a couple of nape hairs getting caught in the knot, no matter how careful I thought I was. I will also try lubricating my hairline first.

I wear a satin scarf then the cap. Plus I sleep on a satin pillow case just in case any of them fall off.

I've recently purchased the satin cap that caramela was raving about from maverick wear (in green).

I love it! and it doesn't rub against my edges or anything. When I am home, I just put that on and my hair is protected , and I don't look too bad either.

hottopic said:
I wear a satin scarf then the cap. Plus I sleep on a satin pillow case just in case any of them fall off.
Me, too! :yep: I forgot to mention the satin pillowcase, earlier. :smirk:

*Dee* said:
I've recently purchased the satin cap that caramela was raving about from maverick wear (in green).

I love it! and it doesn't rub against my edges or anything. When I am home, I just put that on and my hair is protected , and I don't look too bad either.

nice! I just checked out the site for these. I am interested in the Lucy model.

Back