Going to Relax - Advice please

Silver

Hello

I have been natural for most of my life. I have tried a relaxer before but could not keep it due to my age and the cost (my hair wasn't something I was willing to spend money on). For almost a year now and since I found LHCF I have been in braids and wigs. I have not experienced much growth. My natural hair is getting on my nerves now even though I love it. Today I took a braid out and had to get my scissors to cut out some knots and splits. Then I saw the splits were all over and I needed to cut it all the way up cause it's all bad. I just want to relax and enjoy my hair.
I am either going to use Syntonics, Affirm or silk elements.
How long before I get a relaxer done should I stop using MT or OCT?
Will the relaxer make things worse?
Can I use a protein the same day?
How long before should I not touch/scratch my scalp?
Should I do it myself or get it professionally done?

I would go to a professional or someone who can do relaxers really, really well. Since you said you cut some of your hair, you'll probably need it professionally shaped. Also, try not to scratch vigorously the week before your relaxer. If something 'itches' rub the itch lightly with some oil. I'm scalp burn prone, and when I do this, I don't get any burns.

There are many relaxer threads on here that can answer your other questions, just do a search :).

I'm not sure of a general consensus, so I'll just give you my experience

How long before I get a relaxer done should I stop using MT or OCT? I stopped using my OCT 2 days prior to my relaxer and had no problem. Since you're touching your scalp (presumably) I opted to wait the same time as they suggest for shampoo.
Will the relaxer make things worse? i haven't been natural since I was a child, so I can't really compare the extent of "damage" or "problems" between the 2.
Can I use a protein the same day? with my last relaxer I used a protein treatment and moisturing treatment right after. I had no adverse effects
How long before should I not touch/scratch my scalp? I think this depends on whether or not you're prone to burning. I usually wait 48 hrs
Should I do it myself or get it professionally done?[/quote once again, natural hair hasn't been my experience, but I would recommend it since you haven't done a relaxer in a while. However, some beauticians try to overprocess your hair, so letting a "bad" professional do it may make your already weak/damaged hair weaker.

Back