Go Ayurvedic 2010 Challenge!

gennatay

Im in. I usually henna/indigo once a month with the two step process. I henna with Godrej Nupur Henna Powder Today is my henna day. I deep condition with amla, cassia and hibiscus powder. I use Shea Moisture products that contains Ayurvedic ingredients. Looking for ways to cleanse that doesn't take a lot of time. Right now I'm using Giovanni Tea Tree Shampoo.

chebaby

You should still be able to use the vatika oil.

How much was the hibiscus powder? I wanted some but didnt want to buy online.
the powders should make your hair stronger, I am hoping for the same thing so they better work.
How often are you going to henna? are you going to mix the powdersin with the henna?

i used rthe vatika oil last night and my hair felt silky so i guess its still good. it smells the same.

today will be my first time doing henna. i havent gotten my package yet but i found mehandi hennalocally. since im new to this i will be doing a henna gloss using, honey, conditioner, evoo and maybe another oil.
when i get my package i will mix a few table spoons of amla in my henna and do amla as a paste by it self. im just experimenting.

Shay72

Natural, 4A
I'm in. My before pic is my avatar. I'm in the HYH challenge so I won't take a new one for this challenge.I have been using ayurveda off and on since starting on this forum. First I just mixed the powders in my cowash conditioners, then I moved on to tea rinses, now I'm back to mixing the powders in my dc.

Conditioning Mix--brahmi,amla, hibiscus, and bhringraj powders, amla oil
Strengthing Mix--fenugreek and kalpi tone powders, shikakai oil
Cleansing Mix--Shikakai and neem powders (I never use this anymore)
Poo bars--I have the Hairveda and Njoi CreationS bars but I haven't used either in a very long time.
Cassia gloss--cassia, honey, and a moisturizing conditioner. I do these quarterly.
Amla gloss--amla, coconut milk, coconut oil,honey, moisturizing conditioner. I do these when I remember.
Marshmallow root powder--It is known to help with detangling. I forgot I had it so I will be adding it along with grapeseed oil which is also known for detangling to products I am trying to use up.

I dc 2x/wk. At least 1x with steam.

Last edited:

chebaby

i co wash pretty often, so my hair is "done" several times a week. but my treatment day is always sunday.

SimJam

Krystle~Hime I didnt I just poured the oil off after everything had settled - but I will next time bc there are lil bits of the nettle in the oil now (they have settled to the bottom now)

I will strain through some cheese cloth as I think its best not to have the infused oils come into contact with metal. I found this vid, after I made my oils, i will use this method going forward.

[video=youtube;e095va7iAX0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e095va7iAX0[/video]

Theresamonet

It looks like I'm going to have to order some stuff online...

All I have in my stash are Amla powders, Shikakai powder, Vatika coconut oil, Aritha and Shikakai poo bars, Methi Powder, Mustard seed oil, and Reshma henna.:-( I guess I can use these for now but, I wanted to make more moisturizing mixes.

Where are you ladies getting the Chagrin Valley poo bars from?

Last edited:

dancinstallion

It looks like I'm going to have to order some stuff online...

All I have in my stash are Amla powders, Shikakai powder, Vatika coconut oil, Aritha and Shikakai poo bars, Methi Powder, Mustard seed oil, and Reshma henna.:-( I guess I can use these for now but, I wanted to make more moisturizing mixes.

Where are you ladies getting the Chagrin Valley poo bars from?

what is mustard seed oil good for? I saw some of that in powders section but I just passed it up.

chebaby

i did my first hena on sunday and loved it. i used mehendi henna, tresseme conditioner, evoo, honey, water and swet almond oil. i left it on for an hour. i got some color that i guess is more noticeble than i thought because a few people at work noticed it. my hair feels stronger and i just really love it.
im going to do it again this sunday but for the most part only once a month.
this henna already has amla, brahmi, shikakai and something else in it.

dancinstallion

i did my first hena on sunday and loved it. i used mehendi henna, tresseme conditioner, evoo, honey, water and swet almond oil. i left it on for an hour. i got some color that i guess is more noticeble than i thought because a few people at work noticed it. my hair feels stronger and i just really love it.
im going to do it again this sunday but for the most part only once a month.
this henna already has amla, brahmi, shikakai and something else in it.

That is the henna I have too. I like it because it has alot of the good ayurveda powders in it already. How did you let it sit before applying it in to your hair. Or did you mix it and apply it right away?
I haven't used it yet.

chebaby

That is the henna I have too. I like it because it has alot of the good ayurveda powders in it already. How did you let it sit before applying it in to your hair. Or did you mix it and apply it right away?
I haven't used it yet.
i put the henna in a plastic bowel and let it sit for about 10 minutes before i started mixing. no particular reason i just had something to do at the time. once i mixed it i applied it right away because i didnt want color. i ended up with color anyway lol.

flowinlocks

Krystle~Hime I didnt I just poured the oil off after everything had settled - but I will next time bc there are lil bits of the nettle in the oil now (they have settled to the bottom now)

I will strain through some cheese cloth as I think its best not to have the infused oils come into contact with metal. I found this vid, after I made my oils, i will use this method going forward.

[video=youtube;e095va7iAX0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e095va7iAX0[/video]

Great Vid. I'm adding this to my blog.

Krystle~Hime

thank you SimJam !!!
I've just made my first cassia treatment. I mixed it with amla and brahmi powders.
now i'm doing a AOHSR+molasses treatment. because i've read severally that it's good to follow hennas'treatement by a DC.

funkycoils

Today is wash day for me!! Have you ladies ever tried mucilage? It's 100% plant based and apparently a GREAT detangler. It comes in stuff like marshmellow root, nettle leaf powder, mullein powder, slippery elm bark. This is the link that I recommend for all of you dolls!

[video=youtube;9EU6cF7j5zc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EU6cF7j5zc[/video]

I think that I will do a DC today.. and use homemade flax seed gel as a detangler! I will let you know how it goes!

Krystle~Hime

Tell me how it will go
i will also do it because ive bought some marshmallow root. Ans also some nettle leafs(the leaf not by powder form) I also take some colsfoot but dunno if it gives some mucillage.
I will use the marshmallow as a conditionner YEP , instead as a commercial conditionner; I've read it gives nice slip due to the mucillage, and also it conditions nicely the hair.
i'm so fond of this challenge :grin:
i will use the nettle and the colsfoot for my herbal spritz moisturizer.

Last edited:

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Can you ladies please tell me what brands of ayervedic powders you use? Where do you buy them from? I am in love with ayervedic powders and got scared off from the Hesh powders recall.

Krystle~Hime

I seriously don't worry for the recall, it was about an herb(I don't remember which one but I'm sure that =>) i don't use, so not amla, not brahmi.

and I feel more safe by using a popular brand as HESH as another one that nobody knows and never used it.

chebaby

did another henna last night using the left over from sunday and adding some amla. my color is waaayyy darker and i love it. i wasnt doing it for the color but i got it anyway. i have more volume and my hair feels thicker. my natual color is sooooo dark now and the color that was once honey blonde and light brown is now dark auburn and brown. almost chocolate. i love it.

Krystle~Hime

you're lucky chebaby, I don't want to put brownish auburn tint in my hair, that's why I prefer to use cassia,
but i'm a little jealous because I know henna is a little more effective than cassia and its results last totally longer.

Shay72

Natural, 4A
Did an overnight dc with a mix of Shea Moisture DC, hibiscus, brahmi, amla, bhringraj powders, and amla oil.

FebeeSigns

Good news, ordering my stuff next week! So excited even though I'll be 2 weeks behind in the challenge lol. I've been using my ayurvedic shampoo bar once a week though and it's heaven
I'l be ordering Amla, Brahmi, Hibiscus and Bhringji (sic). I don't want any of the cleansing agents because I use the ayurvedic poo bar which already has the cleansing agents in it. I plan to combine these ingredients to make my own ayurvedic creamy/heavy leave in, hope it works! lol. Does anyone advise against leaving ayurvedic ingredients in the hair?

dancinstallion

Can you ladies please tell me what brands of ayervedic powders you use? Where do you buy them from? I am in love with ayervedic powders and got scared off from the Hesh powders recall.

@DDTexlaxed, I got mine from a local indian store. We have about five within 2-3 blocks of each other. I found almost all of the powders there except hibiscus and brahmaji(sp). But I use the kalpi tone powder and the heena powder mix that has thoses two powders already in them.

I just did my first Nupur mehendi w/ powders mixture today. I dc overnight, rinsed and then applied the mix overnight last night. I left it on for a long time because I was too lazy to wash it out and I fell asleep. It was a little hard washing out this morning. I used a cheap conditioner, rinsed and then put a dc on that I still have in right now. Was I supposed to shampoo the treatment out? oh well. My hair felt stronger but still a little hard. Well we will see how it feels when I rinse the dc out in a few hours.

Update:: okay so I washed the DC out and I realized that I still had alot of the henna still in my hair. So I filled the sink with water and rinsed again letting my hair soak for a while. I put on another DC and sat under dryer because I feel the other didn't take since the henna was still in my hair.. That made my hair feel a little better. I tried to roller set and it didn't and that didn't work.
I don't see any visible color. I don't know why I was scared of henna all this time due to color because I can't see any noticable difference. and given that length of time that stuff stayed in my hair I thought definitely my hair would have changed colors.

Last edited:

sunbubbles

Hey Ladies, can I please be added to this challenge!? You never know, I might even keep it up for a whole year! I have a few ayurvedic items, and I plan on adding more as time goes on, but for now, Ill be starting slow. My stash is below, and Ill post a starting pic later.

My stash:

POWDERS: Amla, Brhami, Aritha, Tulsi, Lemon (for my skin, Shikaikai, Hibiscus
HERBS: Marshmallow Root, Fenugreek Powder, Slippery Elm Powder ( I dont know what to do with it)
OILS: Coconut, Olive, Shea Butter, Palm
DCS: AOHSR, Giovanni SASDM,

EXTRAS: VO5 Condish (among many others *hee hee*), B&B Castor Oil Lotion, Sta Sof Fro Mix, SheaAloe Mix, Silk Amino Acids, AV Gel, Aphogee Green Tea & Keratin

I would really love some of the shampoo bars. Right now Ive been making my own teas, but its definitely more mess than Id like. Where are you ladies buying yours? Just at the Indian Grocers?? I saw some Ayurvedic cleansing bars at the grocers, but it said for skin use. Is that still ok to use on the hair??

Shay72

Natural, 4A
I am doing an amla gloss today. Amla powder, coconut oil, coconut milk, honey, and conditioner.

chebaby

maybe i should have added conditioner to my amla mix. so far amla is only good for making my new growth and natural color darker and shinier. i wish i had never colored my natural hair. i will never color my hair again. i feel like im transitioning all over again.
anyway i didnt see anything about the amla that made my hair strong. my hair is soft but no softer than it is with a regular conditioner.
im going to rinse again and then condition with kbb mask.

was i supposed to use a full 100grms of amla? because al i used was maybe 3 spoon fulls.

Theresamonet

what is mustard seed oil good for? I saw some of that in powders section but I just passed it up.

Its supposed to be good for stimulating the hair follicles. It gives a tingling sensation when applied to the scalp.

*************************​

Right at this moment, I have on my first henna treatment...I'm sooo scared of what I am going to find when I rinse my hair tonight.:cantlook: I'm hoping I wont have to shave my head.:bricks:

So I ran out of henna as I I was applying it to my hair and I had to mix some
more. When I opened the new box of henna, I noticed it was different from the first one I used.
  • The inside plastic was a different color. The first box had a clear plastic inside and the second one was a white plastic.

• It smelled different than the first.

• When I mixed the second batch, it was greener than the first (which was more of a greenish-brown)

Should I be concerned about any of this?

Also...

Will the fact that my second batch didn't get to sit overnight like the first effect my henna results?

ETA: HELP!!!!

Krystle~Hime

maybe i should have added conditioner to my amla mix. so far amla is only good for making my new growth and natural color darker and shinier. i wish i had never colored my natural hair. i will never color my hair again. i feel like im transitioning all over again.
anyway i didnt see anything about the amla that made my hair strong. my hair is soft but no softer than it is with a regular conditioner.
im going to rinse again and then condition with kbb mask.

was i supposed to use a full 100grms of amla? because al i used was maybe 3 spoon fulls.

with ayurveda, the must is to be consistent, not except the greatness at the first try. an indian friend of mine said me "be patient and apeased, and you will earn the benefits"
so don't worry, with more application you will see it !

my updates : i'm so in a hurry for my 2nd cassia treatment ! end of the week !!! and i'm still in protectrive style. not wearing my afro halfwig but some nice headwraps.

chebaby

thanx Krystle, i will continue to do the amla treatments. im interested in trying different henna brands though so right now im looking into that.

funkycoils

So I treated my hair a few days ago and here were some of my findings :)

I pre poo'ed with Avocado oil, Walnut oil, brahmi oil, coconut oil and marshmallow root gel [homemade] and covered for an hour.
I then shampooed with Organix Coconut Milk Shampoo and mixed my Conditioner Mix 2:

4 tbs Hibiscus Petal Powder
3 tbs Amla powder
1 tbs Fenugreek Seed Powder [Methi]
[located in the mixes section on the first page]

I left this on for about 45 minutes. To rinse i filled the sink with cool water and dipped my head, shook it around a couple of times and had a friend help with the light scrubbing. The only problem with this is that the powders are so strong, they made my eyes and nose burn a bit [don't know how I feel about that lol]

I didn't have much time to do anything to my hair so I just pulled it back.

Results: For some reason, my hair was really tangled. I don't know if it was due to lack of detangling or adding in a new ingredient [marshmallow root]... i'm confused about that one. I am still trying to find my staple regimen. I think for this week, I will try to add in an avocado mask. Whenever I do an avocado mask, I have HIH [hand-in-hair] disease.

After my hair dried this time, I noticed that it was thicker at the roots.. :D

Style: Currently in a twisted bun type hairstyle. I love it!