Glycerin could cause splits and breakage if used improperly.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Interesting article on glycerin http://cushblog.com/2011/08/05/when...cts-based-on-dew-points-technically-speaking/

When to use Glycerin Products Based on Dew Points: Technically Speaking

Posted on August 5, 2011 by cush
Glycerin

A.E. wrote:

Good afternoon Joe!
I was wondering if you could answer my question about dew points and glycerin? It seems like every product that I use contains glycerin or vegetable glycerin and I’m not sure if I should be using them or not. The dew points here are currently around 80. Is that too high for glycerin? And if it is, is there a way to modify the products that I already have so I can keep using them?
Thanks so much for your help!

Great question! Let’s tackle this in three parts-I’ll discuss the definition of dew point, the definition of glycerin, and the effect of glycerine on the hair when it’s formulated in hair care products. Lastly, we will discuss what to do.

Dew Point

The Dew point is the temperature at which the water vapor in air begins to condense to a liquid. It is an absolute measure for how much water vapor is present in outside air. The greater the dew point temperature, the more water vapor available to condense into liquid water. Conversely, the lower dew point temperature corresponds to lower amounts of water vapor available to condense into liquid water. A good rule of thumb for dew point is as follows:

• Humid Conditions 60F to +80F
  • Optimal Conditions 40 F to 60F
  • Dry/ Arid Conditions Less than 40F
Glycerin

Now, moving on to Glycerin-I’ll discuss the technical definition of glycerin, how it’s made and its function in hair care products.

Vegetable glycerin is a colorless, clear, viscous liquid (it has the consistency of molasses) that is extremely water-soluble. It is produced from the hydrolysis of coconut and palm based glycerol fats with water under high temperature and pressure. The product is then distilled to remove the excess water to produce glycerin at +99.3% purity. It is primarily used as a humectant in cosmetics and personal care products.

Now you’re probably asking, what is a humectant?

Humectants have two primary functions in hair products: It absorbs water from the air and slows down the rate at which water evaporates from your hair. In other words, in hair products, glycerin brings the hair shaft in contact with water and limits the water’s ability to evaporate. Thus, your hair has a greater chance of absorbing water and staying hydrated, which is the key to having healthy hair and minimizing breakage. Therefore, having a humectant in your hair products is advantageous but, as I hinted above, there are trade offs, especially for curly hair because it tends to be more porous and will need the extra moisture to stay hydrated. The key to getting optimum performance from glycerin based products is using them at the correct dew point temperature.

Now that you know the definition of dew points and glycerin, let’s discuss the effect they have on your hair- or more specifically, what is the correlation between and dew points and glycerin?

Glycerin Based Products in Low Dew Point Climates

Under dry, arid conditions, glycerin struggles to find enough water in the air to properly hydrate itself (remember glycerin needs water and will therefore, bind to it). Thus in arid conditions, the only benefit that glycerin will give your hair is that it will slow down the evaporation rate of water from your hair back into the environment. Simultaneously, glycerin will struggle to remove the small available amount of water from the arid air. However, once all the available free water is consumed from the air, the glycerin in your hair product, will then remove the available water from the product itself. Once that is gone, it will remove the water from the cortex of your hair because glycerin is a humectant and needs to stay hydrated. Needless to say, using products formulated with glycerin is counterproductive to achieving healthy hair when applied in arid conditions. It leads to overall dryness, coarseness, frizz, fly-aways and an increased probability for greater damage by causing split ends.

Glycerin Products in High Dew Point Climates

Under humid conditions, glycerin causes the hair to become over saturated with water and therefore, disrupts some of your hair’s structure/hydrogen bonding. I don’t want to get into the chemical structure of hair in this discussion, but I must digress so that you’ll get the complete picture. Again, when hydrogen bonding is disrupted, your hair losses some structure. Don’t be alarmed because every time you shower, shampoo or go into a high humidity climate, you are disrupting hydrogen bonding in your hair. When you wet your hair, you are breaking hydrogen bonding. Your hair looses structure and becomes elongated. During the drying process, water evaporates and the hydrogen bonds reform. Your hair’s natural structure is reformed and the hair elongation is reduced so it goes back to its natural state. This is called shrinkage. Also, during the elongation process, the hair becomes swollen and the cuticle raises, which causes tangling. Hint, this is why your hair gets tangled when you wash it.

Now, having explained the process of water/humidity with respects to the elongation and shrinkage of your hair, let’s take closer look at glycerin. The problem with using glycerin based products in high humidity is that it slows down the drying process and increases the chances of damaging your hair while it is elongated. When your hair is wet or elongated, it is weaker and more prone to breakage. Obviously, using glycerin based products in humid climates consistently keeps your hair in an elongated state. Therefore, it increases the probability of damaging it. It can also lose its curl pattern and become frizzy due to having swollen cuticles and tangling, as I mentioned above. Lastly depending on the concentration of glycerin in the product, your hair might begin to feel stickier.

So, what’s the optimal time to use glycerin products?

1. Only use products with high glycerin concentrations during optimal dew point temperatures (40F to 60F).
  2. Use Glycerin free products for humid conditions. In particular, look for the polyquats to detangle and address frizzy hair (typically in the summer and dew point is above 60F)
  3. Use leave-in or deep conditioners (standard oil/water emulsions) for low humidity conditions, which is typically in the winter and dew point is below 40F)
Please note that products formulated with low levels of glycerine, will not have these dramatic effects on the hair and to best “guestimate” glycerine levels, look for products that list glycerine on the back end of the ingredients list.

I admit I just slap stuff on my head sometimes w/o reading ingredients. After reading this I will be more mindful because I'm sure I use glycerin products in winter and now I see that it could cause dryness and damage. It could be contributing to some of my splits.

I'm gonna be checking dew points like crazy now lol. At first I thought that was silly but now I see why. Eliminating glycerin in summer will also help me from getting overly frizzy cottony hair in the summer.

Only thing I'm unsure of is how much glycerin is too much? Like how far down on the ingredients list should it be.

I feel like a whole new world has opened up lol. My hair is behaving better this summer w/o glycerin.

Oh and another question.... I recently used Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion and CJ Curls In a Bottle on a humid day.... my hair went all kinds of crazy! I thought it was the CIAB but I now see that glycerin is 4th down on the smoothing lotion so I guess it was that and the CIAB is safe to use? I hope someone is familiar with these products.

ETA.....posted the article for easier viewing.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Last edited:
Hey Poka,
I use CJ Smoothing Lotion and CIAB in conjunction as well. I live on the west coast of Florida, so you know it's stupid humid! This concoction is actually one of the few that keeps my hair from getting frizzy in humid weather. I use a small-moderate amount of the SL and a whoooole bunch of the CIAB, so if your hair frizzed as a result of a product, it most likely was the SL.

Off to read the article you posted.

I like glycerin but I can see how it can cause breakage. I just bought vegetable glycerin. I use mine by adding it to my DC or applying it to my hair prior to bagging. I don't think that I will apply it directly to my hair again as I did notice some additional hairs being pulled. But I think I will keep adding it to my DC.

Thanks for the article. BTW: How would you go about checking the dew points? I'll have to do some research on that. Do you know the benefits of knowing the dew points?

pelohello said:
I like glycerin but I can see how it can cause breakage. I just bought vegetable glycerin. I use mine by adding it to my DC or applying it to my hair prior to bagging. I don't think that I will apply it directly to my hair again as I did notice some additional hairs being pulled. But I think I will keep adding it to my DC.

Thanks for the article. BTW: How would you go about checking the dew points? I'll have to do some research on that. Do you know the benefits of knowing the dew points?

I'm just learning about dew points so I haven't done much research but knowing them will help you to know when and when not to use products with glycerin. The article I posted breaks it down by numbers. I went on aol.com and checked the weather for my area and the dew point was posted there as well.

The whole dew point thing was brought to my attention by denimpixie on YouTube.....she mentions it a lot.

Wow thats interesting and here I am in fl with extreme humidity using glycerine like its water. This is def something to look into. Thanks for the info:)

GreenEyedJen said:
Hey Poka,
I use CJ Smoothing Lotion and CIAB in conjunction as well. I live on the west coast of Florida, so you know it's stupid humid! This concoction is actually one of the few that keeps my hair from getting frizzy in humid weather. I use a small-moderate amount of the SL and a whoooole bunch of the CIAB, so if your hair frizzed as a result of a product, it most likely was the SL.

Off to read the article you posted.

Yea my wng was poofed like crazy on the first day and I'm used to having it last a week. I had to do it over the next day, grrrrr! I might possibly try the CIAB again but with something else.

Wow thats interesting and here I am in fl with extreme humidity using glycerine like its water. This is def something to look into. Thanks for the info:)
I'm shocked at how many of my products have glycerin in them. It's not a bad thing, I just need to pay attention to when i'm using them.

Yea my wng was poofed like crazy on the first day and I'm used to having it last a week. I had to do it over the next day, grrrrr! I might possibly try the CIAB again but with something else.

It is probably the SL. Did you use it on wet hair? I noticed I get very unpredictable results when I use it on wet hair and then realized the instructions call for it to be used on dry or damp hair. Oops!

You re not the only one ,also beware of propylene glycol as it has similar properties .
Glycerin is very drying for my hair and will make it poofy ,frizzy and messy ,every single moisturizer with glycerin in it will not work on my hair .There are plenty of products withput glycerin in it.

It is probably the SL. Did you use it on wet hair? I noticed I get very unpredictable results when I use it on wet hair and then realized the instructions call for it to be used on dry or damp hair. Oops!
Yep, wet hair:yep:

My hair loves glycerin. I have found,, though, that because of where I live, which is semi-arid, it needs to be in of the last few ingredients for my strands. It is SO DRY here in the summer now that even outside, after watering my garden the next morning the ground is bone dry 2 inches into the soil. My fine hair truly suffers here this time of year.

I make my own tea spritz leave-in condish and I put just a teaspoon now and it works wonders. I do not use it every day, but mostly in my spritz as a pre-poo. And yes, too much when its moist outside makes the hair revert.

Last edited:
I'm paging Nonie to contribute to this thread. I know you love S-curl and it has Glycerin as its second or third ingredient - I think?. What do you say about this article? I just bought S-curl and I want to figure how to use it. The dew point here is 64.2F today and it gets humid here during summer.

I'm paging @Nonie to contribute to this thread. I know you love S-curl and it has Glycerin as its second or third ingredient - I think?. What do you say about this article? I just bought S-curl and I want to figure how to use it. The dew point here is 64.2F today and it gets humid here during summer.

mamaore, as much as I love science I refuse to turn my hair journey into a complicated regimen that involves using barometers. :nono:

I have used S Curl in Spring one year and in Summer another year and I'm sure the humidity was different both times but I didn't even give it one thought. I imagine S Curl may not work well in hot dry Arizona but I don't live there so I don't have to worry about the whether there.

When I apply S Curl to damp hair, my hair doesn't stay damp. It dries up, and in fact dries up hard. It is only after I reapply S Curl to dry hair that it stays soft and moisturized for days. Also my hair doesn't "elongate" when wet. My hair shrinks when wet and stays shrunken when it dries...so that elongation stuff doesn't really seem to click with my hair.

If I had to factor in all the things I see folks factoring into their haircare, I too would be having as much stress with my hair I see folks having. Not only do I hate stress but I'm way too lazy for all o' dat.

So what do I think of the article? Nothing really. I read it but forgot it by the time I was getting to the end of it. I usually don't record things I won't be using nor give them much thought so I'm sorry I can't comment on article. I say, use S Curl, see if you like how your hair feels. When I found out I liked it, I didn't even know about humectants and all o' dat. I now know about humectants and that they work better in humid conditions. But I don't let that knowledge stop me in my tracks when I want to use it. And my indiscriminate use of S Curl regardless of what the weather is doing hasn't made me change my mind about it being the only moisturizer I want in my hair. Sometimes you just have to try something to see if you like it. If you don't, then maybe the science can help you understand why. Until then, "innocent till proven guilty" I say!

So, what’s the optimal time to use glycerin products?

1. Only use products with high glycerin concentrations during optimal dew point temperatures (40F to 60F).
  2. Use Glycerin free products for humid conditions. In particular, look for the polyquats to detangle and address frizzy hair (typically in the summer and dew point is above 60F)
  3. Use leave-in or deep conditioners (standard oil/water emulsions) for low humidity conditions, which is typically in the winter and dew point is below 40F)

This basically sums it up for me :yep:

My hair swells when using glycerin in the summer months, during the winter it does just fine.

I just looked at all my curly products and they all have glycerin as the second ingredient. this is just really crazy. well I am bunning right now because it is too hot so I will just be using conditioner and shea butter.

Nonie said:
mamaore, as much as I love science I refuse to turn my hair journey into a complicated regimen that involves using barometers. :nono:

I have used S Curl in Spring one year and in Summer another year and I'm sure the humidity was different both times but I didn't even give it one thought. I imagine S Curl may not work well in hot dry Arizona but I don't live there so I don't have to worry about the whether there.

When I apply S Curl to damp hair, my hair doesn't stay damp. It dries up, and in fact dries up hard. It is only after I reapply S Curl to dry hair that it stays soft and moisturized for days. Also my hair doesn't "elongate" when wet. My hair shrinks when wet and stays shrunken when it dries...so that elongation stuff doesn't really seem to click with my hair.

If I had to factor in all the things I see folks factoring into their haircare, I too would be having as much stress with my hair I see folks having. Not only do I hate stress but I'm way too lazy for all o' dat.

So what do I think of the article? Nothing really. I read it but forgot it by the time I was getting to the end of it. I usually don't record things I won't be using nor give them much thought so I'm sorry I can't comment on article. I say, use S Curl, see if you like how your hair feels. When I found out I liked it, I didn't even know about humectants and all o' dat. I now know about humectants and that they work better in humid conditions. But I don't let that knowledge stop me in my tracks when I want to use it. And my indiscriminate use of S Curl regardless of what the weather is doing hasn't made me change my mind about it being the only moisturizer I want in my hair. Sometimes you just have to try something to see if you like it. If you don't, then maybe the science can help you understand why. Until then, "innocent till proven guilty" I say!

The reason why I thought about the article is because I'm having problems with it, if your not than that's good, I would keep using it.

And if it could possibly contribute to all these splits I have it's worth a look into.

Last edited:
This is way too complicated! I thought winter was the time to avoid glycerin. I cannot see checking the weather before doing my hair. What if the weather changes in the afternoon?

Will my hair dry out like keenan ivory wayans in Hollywood Shuffle?

Today I used S-Curl. Two Sprays on my hand rubbed into my ends and length. I sealed with grapeseed oil. My hair feels silky smooth. I cant credit S-curl though. I think its more results of flatironing.

This is way too complicated! I thought winter was the time to avoid glycerin. I cannot see checking the weather before doing my hair. What if the weather changes in the afternoon?

Will my hair dry out like keenan ivory wayans in Hollywood Shuffle?

Its not one season fit all. Are the winters dry or humid where you live? Normally, you would decide to use or not to use glycerin by seasons.

Yes, I know not to use glycerin in the winter where I live. It is very, very dry and extremely cold. I use it in the summer. If I have to check dew points and humidity levels before using a product I won't use the product. I have enough hair problems. :)

HanaKuroi said:
Yes, I know not to use glycerin in the winter where I live. It is very, very dry and extremely cold. I use it in the summer. If I have to check dew points and humidity levels before using a product I won't use the product. I have enough hair problems. :)

HanaKuroi You dont HAVE to do it. If your having problems with it then yea, I'd say look into it. It really only needs to be avoided in cold weather IMO. Avoiding it in humid weather is more to save my hairstyles. I don't want shrunk up to my ears cottonball head.

Sorry to complicate things guys. I guess I should keep the things that intrigue me to myself....not everyone is as interested lol.

And no dew points don't need to be checked. I went this long without checking a dew point the first! Lol

my hair seems to like glycerin in the summer and winter, regardless....hmmm, I wonder why? They are in my products and they always keep my hair most (n conjunction with heat)....However my hair is frizzy 90% of the time :lol:

Pokahontas said:
HanaKuroi You dont HAVE to do it. If your having problems with it then yea, I'd say look into it. It really only needs to be avoided in cold weather IMO. Avoiding it in humid weather is more to save my hairstyles. I don't want shrunk up to my ears cottonball head.

Sorry to complicate things guys. I guess I should keep the things that intrigue me to myself....not everyone is as interested lol.

And no dew points don't need to be checked. I went this long without checking a dew point the first! Lol

Pokahontas I didn't mean it as harshly as it sounds. I do appreciate the information. I was being extra. I hope I didn't hurt your feelings. Friends? Please keep posting educational articles. I subscribed to the thread so that should tell you something. :)

I hate when I read an article and it changes my routine. I will keep it in mind. I was using Greg juice but now I am sideyeing it. I think my hair likes glycerin. I will just see how it acts.

HanaKuroi said:
Pokahontas I didn't mean it as harshly as it sounds. I do appreciate the information. I was being extra. I hope I didn't hurt your feelings. Friends? Please keep posting educational articles. I subscribed to the thread so that should tell you something. :)

I hate when I read an article and it changes my routine. I will keep it in mind. I was using Greg juice but now I am sideyeing it. I think my hair likes glycerin. I will just see how it acts.

Of course friends....no feelings hurt at all. The tone of the thread went in a different direction and I kinda got embarrassed that I posted lol. Its all good though.

To be honest I only read a couple ofposts in this thread. I didn't pick up on the tone. I will read through the posts next time. :)

Back