getting my first sew in

slw980205

I am thinking about getting a sew in to grow my hair. I am all natural 4b hair (did my last BC two weeks ago) that is neck length straightened. I never had a weave only braids 12 years ago where the edges of my hair thinned. Because of my braid experience I have been reluctant to do anything different to my hair but hot comb it every two weeks. I talked to a hair stylist and read a little about it online. I hear so any people say that they were able to grow their hair long and retain it. I would appreciate any advice and for those who wear or have worn a sew in that has helped grow your hair please chime in.

smwrigh3

Hi I just took my sew in out two weeks ago and I had it for about 5 weeks.. I moisturized with Aloe Vera juice and distilled water and Kids Organics Shea butter.. sealed with whateve oil I grab first! I lots of growth. I also washed once a week with a mixture of 1/2 water and 1/2 shampoo. and DC with ORS replenishing PAK..

I think that is about it.. there was wonder sew in thread but I can't remember who wrote it.. maybe she will chyme in!

ETA.. my siggy is a sew in I had 4 prom YEARS ago but I am getting it redone in two weeks!

Thann

The member who started that weave thread is Ediese

You should search her name because pretty much everything you could wanna know about sewins gets covered. I wouldve given u the link, but Im posting from my phone. Sorry.

ajacks

I have been growing my hair out with a sew-in for the entire year, with the exception of 4-weeks in July/August when I got a relaxer.

My regimen is very simple:
- stretch relaxers 6-months at a time
- keep install 6-8 weeks
- wash and DC hair every week or every other week
- moisturize every other day
- OCT on scalp 2-3x a week

My next update will be at the one year mark in January.

Last edited:
so how do u wash your hair with a sew-in? im probably being dumb as usual. You was the weave too? when i did tht with my last sew in my extensions wer awful and ended up taking it out.

glamazon386

Ediese has a really good thread around here about do's and don'ts. I'll just give you my basics:

1. Don't let them braid your hair too tight.

2. Research and find a good stylist who knows what they're doing.

3. Buy a decent quality hair but don't let people trick you into spending hundreds of dollars. It's really not that serious.

4. Treat your weave like you would your own hair and do not neglect your hair underneath. I typically wash, dc and airdry my weave once a week just like I do my own hair. I also use a braid spray (a non oily one) to combat itchies and keep my hair supple underneath. Maintenance for a weave is very simple. You don't have to follow a convoluted regimen.

5. Don't weigh your weave down with a bunch of products.

6. Make sure you cover it up at night and brush/comb through it to detangle regularly that way you won't end up with a tangled matted mess after a few weeks of not combing/brushing.

7. When you take it down DO NOT wet or try to wash your hair without thoroughly detangling first. You can apply a little conditioner to dry hair to each section as you detangle with a comb but do not try to go straight to washing or you'll end up with a tangled matted mess and may have to cut your hair. HTH...

jamaicalovely

I agree with all what was posted above. Moisturizing is very important. Make sure also the person taking down your weave is very gentle.

I have been wearing sew ins for about 1 year back-to-back.

Good luck with it!

lashannasmall

I am the queen of getting bad weaves so everything the ladies said above is correct. The best thing you can do is find a really good weaveologist. Don't just go for the cheapest. Ask them to show you close up pics and it is even better if you can talk to one of their clients. When I look back at my bad weave experiance, I knew every single time that the stylist wasn't good but I was so ashamed of my real hair that I wanted it covered up at any costs. As the young lady said above, you don't need some crazy regiman. The hair is protected. It is usually the install and the take down that causes the damage.

smwrigh3

so how do u wash your hair with a sew-in? im probably being dumb as usual. You was the weave too? when i did tht with my last sew in my extensions wer awful and ended up taking it out.
Girl I know what u mean... I hated my last sewin but I rocked that bad boy for 5 weeks! LOL.. SHOOT i learned how to flat iron and flexi rod like no other!!! :lachen::lachen:

your sew in looks great smwrigh3 thanks for the advice

Thanks! :grin: and your welcomce and I agree with everything the other ladies had to say as well!